Mortal and Venial Sin

Is 1 Jn 5:16-17 the only Scriptural evidence of mortal and venial sin? I thought there was some other stuff too, but the Catechism only mentions those two verses in the footnotes. (CCC 1854)

In Luke 18:18 Jesus is asked, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus says follow the commandments. This implies disobeying the commandments results in the loss of eternal life.

Luke 12:10 Jesus says “And every one who speaks a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.” If you are not forgiven, you are not saved. One will not be forgiven if he blasphemes against the Holy Spirit. This would appear to be a mortal sin.

Matt. 18:35 Jesus says “So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.” Forgiveness is a prerequisite for salvation. If you do not forgive your brother, you will be “delivered to the jailers.”

There is also the various ways sin was dealt with in the OT. Murder vs. manslaughter is an example. One is punishable by death (mortal) and one is not. Different covenant, sure, but the nature of sin and God are the same.

[quote=RichSpidizzy]Is 1 Jn 5:16-17 the only Scriptural evidence of mortal and venial sin? I thought there was some other stuff too, but the Catechism only mentions those two verses in the footnotes. (CCC 1854)
[/quote]

[size=2]Mt 12:32 - sin against Holy Spirit unforgiven in this age or next [/size]

(Indicates that other sins may be forgiven in the next age and therefore do not cause damnation)

10By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he **will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. **

Again, this indicates that some sin does not cause damnation.

Indeed any verse that is used for Purgatory indicates that not all sins cause damnation:

2Tim 1:16-18 - Paul prays for dead friend Onesiphorus

etc.

[quote=RichSpidizzy]Is 1 Jn 5:16-17 the only Scriptural evidence of mortal and venial sin?
[/quote]

That verse is so crystal clear that additional Scriptural assent is hardly called for. It may be nice, and previous posts have shown such Biblical harmony, but how can anyone argue with

All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not mortal.

I mean, how much more plain can Scripture possibly make it? If that were the ONLY verse to make this distinction, it would still be conclusive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.