Mortal, or simply grave or venial?

I am new to the faith as I am a protestant convert to Catholicism.

My question is recently I had surgery and was in the hospital. I was in pain and medicated. One incident, from frustration I muttered “Jesus Christ”, then a day or so later exclaimed about a Dr, “he can’t do a God darn thing about it”.

The above were my exact words, I didn’t doctor it up to make it sound any better or worse. I did say a prayer asking forgiveness as soon as the words left my lips.

Did I commit a sin, if so a venial, grave or even a mortal sin by these words? My research online at several Catholic websites, claim that the 2nd Commandment of not taking God’s name in vain actually mean not to swear in God’s name or take oaths to make one’s speech have or sound like it has more validity (Court oaths excluded). So I am confused

I will confess these sins, but there will be no confession opportunities for me this week prior to Sunday’s Mass.

Thanks…

If it was done without sufficient reflection then it isn’t mortal. You could receive communion without confession. However, it should still be confessed. You did the right thing by immediately saying you were sorry. An act of contrition after any sin is a great way to overcome vices and whittle down your temporal punishment. God bless you and welcome to the Church!:slight_smile:

Did you fully intend to say that, after sufficient reflection and thinking about what it really means? In your heart, did you intend to curse using God’s name because you couldn’t care less what the first commandment says? Id you really want God Almighty to come and curse this man and have hatred to him?

If the above applies, you have met all 3 requirements of mortal sin.

If it was anything but what is above, just be more thoughtful about what you say. No mortal sin.

Welcome home and welcome to the forums.

Most questions like this can be answered by reference to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) A good on line version is here: scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
I like the online for its search options.
Briefly a mortal sin requires a grave offense, full knowledge and full consent. You can’t accidentally commit a mortal sin, it’s a deliberate act or refusal to act. Look up:
PART THREE
LIFE IN CHRIST
SECTION ONE
MAN’S VOCATION LIFE IN THE SPIRIT
CHAPTER ONE
THE DIGNITY OF THE HUMAN PERSON
ARTICLE 8
SIN
I. MERCY AND SIN
Paragraphs 1846 - 1876

Thanks for the responses.They helped a lot. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.