Mortal sin and death

If a person follows Christ their whole life, is baptized, regularly attends confession, and truly loves The Lord but in a moment of weakness commits a mortal sin and then dies without confession - does that nullify a life lived in obedience to Christ and damn them to he’ll?

Mortal sin is a very serious possibility – and choosing such and dying with such is yes possible.

It is possible we can note for grace to reach one even in ones last moments… (though one ought not “plan” on such…)

Also remember the grace of an act of perfect contrition (see the CCC) already involves the life of grace --God restoring the person to life in Christ before he ever reaches confession --or even if he does not reach it but death reaches him first. The person so described is more likely to have perfect contrition than one who has chosen a way of existing in continued mortal sin…

On the one hand

Jesus is rather serious about we do not know the day or the hour…

(and in other similar sayings)

on the other he is the Good Shepherd…

We are to live in Christ – we are to remain living in him and be “watchful”

and live in Faith and Hope.

In Jesus of Nazareth is our Hope and our True Life!

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm#VII

(I would add that it can happen that perfect contrition can co-exist with other motives)

(PS venial sins are forgiven in many ways not just via PC)

“A moment of weakness” tells me that one of the conditions for mortal sin is not met. And as others posted above, an act of perfect contrition will remit the eternal punishment due to mortal sin if the person does not have the opportunity to make a sacramental confession. However, the answer to the substance of your question is yes - one mortal sin undoes a lifetime of grace. A person who never commits a single sin in his entire life until he is 90 years old, then commits one mortal sin and dies 30 seconds later without having repented of that sin, goes to Hell for all eternity. Such is the gravity of mortal sin, and we should flee in horror from even the thought of ever committing one.

YES, even one mortal sin nullifies all merits and suffices for us to condemn ourselves to hell.

It’s not a matter of weakness. It’s a matter that mortal sin requires full knowledge and deliberate consent. I know what I am doing and I chose to do it.

If one literally succumbs to weakness, as you say, the sin may not be mortal, since the deliberate consent may be lacking - to a lesser or greater degree.

Also, “dies without confession” is not the point. The issue would be: “dies without repentance”. Repentance with the intention to confess remits mortal sin, meaning it remits eternal condemnation. Of course, with the obligation to confess as soon as possible, but in this case we suppose there was no chance to confess. Lack of sacramental absolution (or of Anointing, which can be given even a bit after death occurred) would imply a significantly larger stay in Purgatory. But “God is not tied to his sacraments” (St. Thomas Aquinas) and Gos “will not reject a broken and repentant heart” (Psalm 51).

And a soul like the one you describe would probably move the Lord to grant them special auxiliating graces to move them to repentance.

The closer we grow to God, the less likely mortal sin becomes.

Analogy: If a married couple continually grows in their love for each other, it is not likely they will separate. But they still have free will . . .

BÃ*i vi?t hay l?m c?m on b?n nhi?u mình s? tìm hi?u thêm

It is important to note that such “may” be the case -if say the needed knowledge or deliberate consent is lacking – but it is also important to note that simply because it was a “a moment of weakness” does not mean that it was not a mortal sin.

Such are referred to as a “sin of weakness” which while not as bad as one that is out of malice of course --can yes still be a mortal sin.

I would imagine that many of the mortal sins the Christians who are seeking to live as such fall into – are mortal sins of weakness.

I guess I was interpreting “weakness” as implying a lack of deliberate consent, but depending on what one means by it, you’re right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.