Mortal sin and Mass

If one is in a state of mortal sin, is it still beneficial to go to mass? I understand that you cannot recieve the Eucharist and that one should go to confession as soon as possible. However, if you have not reconciled, does it still make sense to go?

Yes, there is still the obligation. And it is beneficial in that one is connected to the prayers of the enitre Church so that one might repent.

Is your catholic faith important to you?
Should your potential mate share your faith & values?
Looking for fellowship with other catholic singles?

Excellent response Scottgun! I’d say your response pretty much sums it up! :thumbsup:

Absolutely! The Mass is our most sacred form of public prayer, our community worship! Of course, you can benefit by it. In fact, as is said in the Eucharistic prayer, the Mass advances the salvation of all the world, non believers included. How could drawing near to Christ NOT be worthwhile? Of course, it would be best to go to Confession first, so that you can receive Him. But you should certainly still go, whether or not you find yourself properly disposed to receive Communion. And if you are talking about a Sunday Mass, your obligation to attend remains. Should we compound one mortal sin with another? I’m sure I’ve met no priest who would advise this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.