Mortal sin and praying for others

If someone is in a state of mortal sin does God hear this persons prayers for OTHERS?

Particularly prayers for the conversion of other souls.

If not, have they been a complete waste?

And if God has heard them and they are not a waste, how exactly can God use them to help these other souls? I’m just going to be a little frustrated if I have to start from ‘scratch’ and wondering just how much of my prayer has been ‘useless’ for the conversion of souls.

Any guidance, from the Church or a saints teaching etc, would be great.

God hears all prayers.

Particularly prayers for the conversion of other souls.

As said - God hears all prayers.

That said…If one is truly in mortal sin, then why would they be praying for others?

The one who has committed mortal is best served by praying first in repentance and turning back to God.

If not, have they been a complete waste?

No.

And if God has heard them and they are not a waste, how exactly can God use them to help these other souls? I’m just going to be a little frustrated if I have to start from ‘scratch’ and wondering just how much of my prayer has been ‘useless’ for the conversion of souls.

Any guidance, from the Church or a saints teaching etc, would be great.

Impossible to say “exactly” how God would use them.
One way I think might be to use such prayers to not only aide those prayed for, but to convict the one offering the prayers. God has done this in my life.

Peace
James

You can always pray to God, and He will hear you. You can pray for yourself or for others.

I know for a personal fact that He has heard my prayers while in mortal sin, and responded in a very big way. One time in particular, which led me back to Confession and full communion with the Faith.

We have to understand that Jesus is interested in you first and foremost. When we were baptised, we promised to give up sin and all the devil’s promptings. And that is always in prime position.

What good is it to save others when we are not? The beauty reflected in our soul to our Father is gone. It no longer gives off the image of his son, who paid with his life to give it to us. We become wayward sons who have greatly errored and strayed and have lost the beauty of Jesus in whom the Father is well pleased.

That is the reason why our Father would be listening for us to express our desire to return the image of Christ to our soul by repentenance. Only that is, at that point, what is most gracious in his eyes. He desires for us to be that prodical son who returned so he may throw his arms around us and welcome us back into his home. Everything else is minor.

Is prayer ever lost…any prayer? We cannot say since we do not know the mind of God nor can we limit his mercy. But from the catholic perspective on prayer, our prayer is effective when we reflect the beauty of Jesus within our soul because we are then pleasing to the Father.

When Jesus was baptised, a voice came out of a cloud and said, “this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.” When the Father sees his son in us by grace, he is well pleased, for then we are good sons and doing his will. Because of our baptism establishing sonship upon us, and because of our condition of beauty in grace, our prayers become songs to the Father. Just as any good Father who sees his child, smiles upon it and loves it dearly, pays great attention to what that child is saying.

May Jesus always be in our hearts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.