Mortal Sin and the Ten Commandments

1 John 5:16 John presumes, in that passage, one can determine what is and is not a mortal sin, not only in our self but others as well

We can rather more easily see what is not mortal on another yes (light matters).

John presumes we can also see another committing a mortal sin as well, otherwise his instruction makes no sense.

One can speak of the objective nature of the action. That one can readily see.

They though may not be culpable fully. That the person judges, the Priest…and of course God.

John said very matter of fact, 1 John 5:16

Yes.

Same answers.

objections

I have to ask. Then if that child suddenly dies, like in an accident, after deliberately missing service is that child going to hell?

Huh?

Clarifications. Notes.

It is the sole responsibility of the Confessor to decide if it’s a mortal sin. You and i don’t decide that.

About another person…sure.

But not about ourselves…we* too* are involved rather. We examine our conscience and *confess.

:thumbs: Even then we don’t decide if it’s a mortal sin, yes we confess it but it’s up to the Confessor to decide if it is a mortal sin.

Only God, not any of us, knows the state of a person’s soul at death.

We can say objectively that anyone dying in a state of mortal sin goes to Hell but we cannot say any specific individual will go there.

Yes we actually can/do judge (decide) that such and such was a mortal sin.

That is why we examine our conscience.

Now are there cases when one should rely on the Priest to judge yes or no? Sure.

Well according to the “rules” if a mortal sin is not reconciled through confession then the punishment is hell. If I am wrong tell me because this is a rather ludicrous way of handling not going to a building for a set amount of time each week.

It is not simply about “rules”. Nor is the manner of your presentation correct.

Also remember that we do not know what state a person has died in or not. Nor their subjective culpability etc.

Quite Correct.

A child of ten skips church to go play with friends at the local park. By “rules” this is a mortal sin. Now while at the park there is a freak accident and the child is killed. Said child didn’t repent, probably didn’t have all the sacraments, and died in mortal sin. Since mortal sin is a grave offense that child would be sent to hell via the “rules”.

Again…

It is not simply about “rules”.

We do not know what state a person has died in or not. Nor their actual last moments. Nor their subjective culpability etc.

Period.

The child was run over by a car while attempting to catch a ball. That is a fair state to put them in. They were having fun and thinking about their friends. Better?

Nope.

Same answer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.