Mortal sin and what to do?!?

So while I understand all go the stuff about mortal sin and the conditions. I know I have done it but it’s a addiction; I am actively trying to stop I have an accountability partner and recently gave up chips for a week (gotta start somewhere). But I’m freaking out over what to do because I’ve talked to my priest and will start RCIA after easter but I can’t go to confession and I don’t know what else to do I’ve said acts of contrition but I know I will go to hell in this state for impurity!! And that’s the scariest thing I can think of but I’m also so sad that it’s hurting my connection with God and I’m just freaking out.

Four things:

1) You don’t have the option of Confession and this is taken into account. Non-Catholics and non-Christians commit sins also and they don’t have the sacrament of confession and I am sure there are plenty of non-Catholics in Heaven. This is shown in Luke 12:48, please reflect on this and don’t worry, worrying is the devil’s way of trying to get us to give up and stay in sin.

2) The 5th promise of saying the Rosary is as follows:

”The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.”

If you say the Rosary a few times a week or even daily, it shows commitment to the Rosary and Mary will make sure you don’t die in mortal sin :slightly_smiling_face:

The 7th promise of saying the Rosary is:

”Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.”

If you say the Rosary a couple times a week or more, you will never die without the sacraments being available to you, so you have no reason to worry!

3) As you noted that you already know, addiction, habit, and compulsion can lessen the culpability of sins and turn it from a mortal sin to a venial sin. If there is anxiety or depression involved as well, there is even more mitigating factors and the sin is likely not mortal. This is something to ask your Priest about, and if these factors mitigate the mortalness to a venial sin, it is forgiven at the beginning of every mass!

4) The truth to all of this is, you are doing a great job as a young religious guy trying to pursue the faith and grow in holiness. You are so far ahead of many guys who have struggled with this for years upon years, decades. If I knew all the stuff you know at your age, I would have saved myself from a lot of pain, so you are really ahead of the curb in many ways! The devil hates that you want to join the Church, so he is clawing at you and trying to get you to feel scared. You are worrying about constantly being in mortal sin, this is what the devil wants. Keep in mind Jesus is merciful and isn’t a judge who is waiting to say “gotcha!”

If you don’t already, I would try and say the rosary a couple times a week so that you merit from these great promises of the rosary. Obviously as you say the Rosary you will grow in faith and virtue which will give you more fortitude to stay strong.

Once the devil realizes his tempts of impurity aren’t getting you to sin with regularly, and it isn’t causing you to give up or stop trying to join Catholicism, he will stop tempting you in this way and look for something else. The devil is very meticulous in his plan and isn’t going to waste his time, so the stronger you get at fighting these sins, the less he will tempt you. But even if you fall every now and then, that’s okay, nobody is perfect and Jesus knows this. He only gives us what we can handle (Luke 12:48)

A priest once told me in confession when I confessed impurity sins, he said “Don’t forget, everyone sins and Jesus loves you. He knows you are not perfect and doesn’t expect you to be. What matters is that we try and when we slip up, we don’t wallow in it, but we get back up and try again.”

Thank you this really calmed me down I’m the only Catholic in my family and I was trying to explain mortal sin to my family (they really disagreed) but it just got in my head.

‘A saint is not someone who never sins, but one who sins less and less frequently and gets up more and more quickly.’ - St Bernard of Clairvaux

Overcome your addiction by developing good healthy habits, such as prayer and meditation.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.