Mortal sin for eating meat on Friday during lent?

Eating meat on Friday during lent is a mortal sin? at first glance this sounds silly,childish and petty. Can someone please explain this to mean why someone could go to hell for eternity for something like this? thx

Go forward to around 14

catholic.com/radio/shows/open-forum-7773#

(regarding those in USA)

(and it may not necessarily a “single” occasion of breaking the abstinence -the document notes “The days of penitence to be observed under obligation throughout the Church are all Fridays and Ash Wednesday, that is to say the first days of “Grande Quaresima” (Great Lent), according to the diversity of the rites. Their substantial observance binds gravely.” (note too that in the USA the other Fridays of the year – there no longer an obligation to abstain from meat) )

As to being childish no it is not at all -it is about seriously being disobedient to the authority set up by Christ. Not about hamburgers or steak…

To seriously disobey the authority that comes from Christ – is a very serious thing. Hence one would freely be choosing with full knowledge and deliberate consent to go against such authority…and if one died in such a state one is choosing hell.

Bookcat answered the question thoroughly. Remember, things are not gravely sinful based on what you think; they are sinful based on what God thinks.

[quote="ejp123, post:1, topic:315087"]
Eating meat on Friday during lent is a mortal sin? at first glance this sounds silly,childish and petty. Can someone please explain this to mean why someone could go to hell for eternity for something like this? thx

[/quote]

It's not the eating. It's the disobedience.

[/quote]

I think a good example of the seriousness of disobedience to God would be Adam and Eve thinking it was childish that they were forbidden from eating a silly piece of fruit. Now we're all paying for their "silliness."

[/quote]

Eating meat on a Friday during Lent, is grave matter. Meaning that it is a serious sin. However, this does not mean that it is a mortal sin in all cases.

For a sin to be mortal it requires more than just grave matter, it also requires full knowledge and full consent. Therefore, for it to become a mortal sin, a person needs to actually go through the process of considering eating meat, realizing that it is a grave sin to do so, and then say I don't care I am going to do it anyway. At this point it would become a mortal sin, not because the person ate meat, but because they freely and willingly chose to disobey God.

[quote="Victor2211, post:5, topic:315087"]
I think a good example of the seriousness of disobedience to God would be Adam and Eve thinking it was childish that they were forbidden from eating a silly piece of fruit. Now we're all paying for their "silliness."

[/quote]

I like that and might have to us it next time I have a class and try explaining sin and disobedience. :thumbsup:

I eat 4 slices of luncheon meat this morning when I got up and then realised it was Friday! I had completely forgot! Did I commit a sin?

As it happens, I did go to confession later on other matters and forgot to mention the meat but did say “For these and any other sins”

Am I ok then?

It was not a deliberate act of choosing the meat etc. it was a genuine mistake.

[quote="ajecphotos, post:8, topic:315087"]
I eat 4 slices of luncheon meat this morning when I got up and then realised it was Friday! I had completely forgot! Did I commit a sin?

As it happens, I did go to confession later on other matters and forgot to mention the meat but did say "For these and any other sins"

Am I ok then?

[/quote]

You committed a venial sin. It is grave matter, but you did not give full consent.

Therefore, there was no further sin in forgetting to confess it later, because it was not mortal, but if it eases your mind it would be beneficial to confess it next time.

As it happens, I did go to confession later on other matters and forgot to mention the meat but did say "For these and any other sins"

Am I ok then?

[/quote]

A sin may have been involved in one not preparing to be being mindful - maybe.

But forgetting and eating and then later realizing it (and not continuing to eat) - is a mistake not a sin per se.

[quote="Bookcat, post:2, topic:315087"]
Go forward to around 14

catholic.com/radio/shows/open-forum-7773#

(regarding those in USA)

(and it may not necessarily a "single" occasion of breaking the abstinence -the document notes "The days of penitence to be observed under obligation throughout the Church are all Fridays and Ash Wednesday, that is to say the first days of "Grande Quaresima" (Great Lent), according to the diversity of the rites. Their substantial observance binds gravely." (note too that in the USA the other Fridays of the year -- there no longer an obligation to abstain from meat) )

As to being childish no it is not at all -it is about seriously being disobedient to the authority set up by Christ. Not about hamburgers or steak....

To seriously disobey the authority that comes from Christ -- is a very serious thing. Hence one would freely be choosing with full knowledge and deliberate consent to go against such authority....and if one died in such a state one is choosing hell.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It isn't eating meat per se which is wrong. It is disobedience which is wrong.

Either a Catholic accepts the authority of the Church in that teachings which are determined to be those of the Holy Spirit (articles of faith and morals, dogma and doctrine) and thus 'grave matter' ARE truly grave, and that deliberate disobedience to such is likewise grave. . .or. . .they don't.

And if they find one such 'grave matter' teaching, 'no big deal', what comes next?

Catholicism isn't about choosing to take all the 'fun' practices like wearing crucifixes, lighting candles, being part of the "we've been here since AD 33' stuff, and ignoring things like doctrine and dogma which are too 'old fashioned', or which just don't seem 'right' to our sophistimacated and oh-so-incredibly brilliant minds.

It's all or nothing. We give God our all, including our REASONED acceptance of His will as superior to our own. . .or in choosing to say, "We know better than you, oh Lord' we give Him NOTHING and choose to keep 'all' for our selves.

I’m going to chime in too, excuse my ignorance please.
I have only been practicing for about a year and never got the purpose of these,

Where did the idea from abstaining from meat on lent fridays begin and why? What is the reason behind it?

Thank you so much. God Bless

Am I ok then?

[/quote]

An accident is not a mortal sin, and in this case likely not even a venial one. Regardless, if you went to confession and intended to confess all of your sins, and simply forgot, then it is forgiven as well. The only exception would be if you intentionally withheld a sin which would make the confession invalid. If it still troubles you, mention it the next time that you go to confession.

[quote="Maria1993, post:13, topic:315087"]

Where did the idea from abstaining from meat on lent fridays begin and why? What is the reason behind it?

[/quote]

John 6. Jesus told us he would give up his flesh for the life of the world. He did so on Friday. Therefore in penance and solidarity with his sacrifice, we too sacrifice by abstaining from flesh meat (carne in Latin).

Am I ok then?

[/quote]

A mistake is not a sin. You forgot and followed a pattern in eating breakfast. Your mind was working on memory when you prepared breakfast and ate it.

You can tell God you are sorry that you forgot it was Friday, but you don't need to confess it as a sin because it was a mistake, not a sin. (Like saying to a friend, I'm sorry I forgot your special day.)

Even if you forget a sin in the confessional (not this, it was not sinfulness, but forgetfulness), when you ask "For these and any other sins." to be forgiven and Fr. gives you absolution.....you are absolved. If you later remember a sin, it was one of the "and any other sins". Its already absolved. There is no need to confess it since it is already absolved. (I am speaking about "forgotten" sins, not "withheld" sins.)

[quote="RoseMary131, post:16, topic:315087"]

Even if you forget a sin in the confessional (not this, it was not sinfulness, but forgetfulness), when you ask "For these and any other sins." to be forgiven and Fr. gives you absolution.....you are absolved. If you later remember a sin, it was one of the "and any other sins". Its already absolved. There is no need to confess it since it is already absolved. (I am speaking about "forgotten" sins, not "withheld" sins.)

[/quote]

IF it is a mortal sin that one forgets -- one is obliged to confess it in the next confession after one remembers it.

jimmyakin.com/2006/09/a_reader_writes_1.html

(now for those out there who are scrupulous - there can be exceptions for they can start to want to confess all sorts of things not needed ....they need a regular confessor to guide them)

[quote="Victor2211, post:5, topic:315087"]

[/quote]

I'm not sure they actually ate a piece of fruit. The book of Genesis is not a literal, historical fact but a theological revelation using symbols common at the time of it's writing. The one's who wrote the book of Genesis were making a theological statement. Genesis is theology and not history. Protestants often read this book literally and get themselves into all kinds of problems when they do it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.