Mortal sin leading to damnation

I was told the church teaches the truth, not what is prudent.

Do you a official link/CCC reference where it talks about the possibility for “extraordinary” forgiveness of mortal sins. Thanks

0 Likes

God gives us many chances to repent, but if someone is obstinate about it then that’s on them.

0 Likes

Children are below the age of reason, so, the analogy breaks down.

Absolutely. That is why we take our sins to Confession.

1 Like

Theologians over centuries have acknowledged that God Himself can violate the laws of logic because His omnipotence cannot be limited. We are bound by laws. God is not.

1 Like

Read the section of the Cathchism called "The Church and Non-Christians which begins at #839

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm#839

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

0 Likes

Think of it this way: When we sin mortally, we cut ourselves off from God. In the afterlife, there are only two possible places to go: With God, or away from him. The person who has has cut themselves away from God must repent before death, or or they will go to hell. Why? A mortal sin is our choice telling God that we do not care about him at all, and that he does not mean anything to us. If this person were to die in this state, they would not even want to go to heaven. Sure, they would loathe the idea of hell, however they of their own volition have cut themselves away from God. Indeed, if God forced them to go to heaven they would be even more unhappy, because despite the creature comforts of heaven, “mentally” they be hating heaven, hating God because of their rotten souls, incapable of loving him or accepting his love.

Our disposition “locks” as it were, at death. Die having removed yourself from God, and he will honour that choice, despite many attempts at mercy.

Why do some people who are depressed cut themselves? Because the physical pain takes their mind off the mental pain. Hell is actually better for them, as they have some distraction to keep their mind off this fact: They know they need God to be happy, however they have freely cut themselves away from him for eternity. Hell is an absence of God. They have “damned” themselves, regardless of where they are.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Please Help What if my loved ones go to hell?

In this situation, too, the loving parents I know forgive even if an apology isn’t issued. They also periodically reach out to their child to move forward in a loving relationship.

1 Like

God reaches out too during this life.

3 Likes

I’m sure that God takes all things into account as there is no hiding from His divine justice.
I think from world events and even from the lives of the Saints and the deaths of martyrs we can see that this is no game. Sin has serious consequences the extent of which we are I think only partly aware of. Our religion is a serious commitment to God, The Almighty, Our Lord Jesus has warned us, taught us with compassion and showed by His death that the Life we aspire to is beyond this world, beyond this life. Catholicism is not simply an intellectual pursuit it’s a solemn commitment not to be entered into lightly.
Mortal sin is avoidable, God is just, live the Gospel and keep the commandments and the Faith.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, Q, I’ve spent most of my life in the Church questioning and arguing. I stay because I really believe in the True Presence — you couldn’t rip me away from Him in the Eucharist. I guess I’m just saying that likely most in the pews are struggling in one way or another. I think that’s okay.

2 Likes

Yes, God is all-good, all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving. But He also threw us out of paradise for picking fruit out of the wrong bin, so to speak.

0 Likes

The very nature of mortal sin is that it is total rejection of God. Specifically, the three criteria are:

1. It is a grave matter.
  2. The person committing the grave matter has full knowledge.
  3. The person committing the grave matter has full consent.

There is simply no way to have #2 and #3 unless the person is willfully rejecting God, and God won’t force Himself on anyone.

0 Likes

What if someone doesn’t even believe in God or believe in the existence of sin?

0 Likes

The Catechism itself does recognize that certain “common” sins, such as masturbation, while grave, may not be mortal in many individual cases because of mitigating factors such as force of habit.
It is an orthodox Catholic position to “hope”, though not “presume”, the salvation of all (or at least most) people.

0 Likes

No, Adam and Eve knew the consequences - death - and chose to do the thing that would bring death! God, in his mercy, did not strike them dead at that moment.

0 Likes

But no! the force of habit can never make a grave sin, not a mortal sin! but I’m really amazed when I read the comments on this thread, people to reduce the exigeances of salvation, make a god in the image of their humanist culture

0 Likes

I’m simply echoing what the Catechism says…
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2352.htm

Each individual case will vary. That is between the penitent and the confessor. Grave matter is always grave matter, but culpability can vary.

0 Likes

Oh my God! What absurd, unreasonable things! no one can be unhappy in Heaven! Do you know what is called damnation suffering in hell? the first suffering and the greatest of people who are in Hell, is that they want to be with God in Heaven, but it is impossible!
The damned hate God because God chastises them in the hell

1 Like

I know the catechism, but the Church has NEVER said that the force of habit makes venial, a grave sin, never! even if the responsabilty decreases becaues of the force of habit, the sin remains mortal!

0 Likes

That’s your personal interpretation and it’s not in line with what priests in real life teach. The implication of the Catechism is clear. For a grave sin to be truly mortal, there must be full knowledge and full consent of the will. The Church now understands that the latter can be lacking for various psychological reasons.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.