Mortal sin leading to damnation

I don’t need your advice mate .

Plus I would appreciate it if you would not put words into my mouth .

1 Like

Yes I do need to talk to a priest.

I think that the three conditions for a moral sin are thrown around as if they are hard to reach, but from my understanding they really aren’t.

I mean grave matter is obviously required for these sins, which are now very common in society.

Full consent is common, apart from extreme scenarios like you have a gun pointed at your head or drug addiction.

So the only one we can fall back on is full knowledge and its pretty common knowledge that the catholic church is against blasphemy or adultery, and if someone didn’t know that already its a 15 second google search away. So do we just hope they never bother coming across the church’s teachings?

If my atheist friends ask me if blasphemy or masturbation is bad and I tell them the truth then what???

0 Likes

It is a good question. First off, we do not know one person in hell. Maybe there is one, the rick man. Second, it is very difficult to commit a mortal sin, despite what many think in the church. It is easy to say something, like missing mass on Sunday is grave matter, whether doing so is mortally sinful depends on the condition of your mind and heart. Often, we don’t have full consent of the will and full knowledge that something is wrong and doing it will separate us from God. Then, if we do mortally sin God will give us every chance to repent. IMO the only reason God would give up on us is that He knows we will never repent. I hope that helps.

1 Like

This is the question about church teaching:

"How can you reconcile the fact that a single un-repented mortal sin leads directly to hell "

0 Likes

Really, I’d suggest sitting down with a priest. There is a tone of either scruples or despair, either one is for a good priest to advise.

0 Likes

While I disagree on the difficulty of meeting those conditions (because of man’s dignity as created in the image of God with true freedom and therefore moral responsibility, coupled with the fact that “no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man” (CCC 1860)), I wholeheartedly agree that God is not waiting for us to commit a mortal sin so He can pounce on us and condemn us.

Christ came to save mortal sinners–that was the whole point–and therefore God sends us all the graces and helps we need to be saved (without infringing, however, on that dignity I described above).

0 Likes

I am married.

If I were to have one single affair it could end my relationship with my husband.

1 Like

Interesting, I was going of my limited knowledge of what an Orthodox family member had told me and what I’d understood from the book “Mystery of Faith”, which is basically an introduction to the EO faith but not a technical catechism.

0 Likes

You can reconcile it by considering the teaching that God gives every soul sufficient grace to be saved.

If you end up in hell, it’s becuase of you, not becuase of God.

0 Likes

So, am I correct in that for mortal sin we need:-

• Objective/serious matter - this is decided by the Church
  • Knowing it’s a sin
  • then despite that doing it anyway

But what if the Church states something is a sin, a person knows the Church states something is a sin, but cannot believe it’s a sin, so does it. Belief is not an act of will.

0 Likes

But your husband isn’t God.

0 Likes

God is merciful but the Church explains that we can’t know His mind. If you die in a state of mortal sin, He might forgive you and save you from damnation. He might not. The way to ensure that you avoid damnation, then, is to avoid mortal sin and confess any you have on your soul.

The alternative is the “once saved always saved” view, which essentially says you can do anything and still go to heaven. That makes no moral or logical sense.

0 Likes

While God is the one who can read their heart, if you do not believe something to be true or real, how could you be held responsible for it?

1 Like

No, but, it is possible to sever a relationship with one serious, deliberate action.

1 Like

Another alternative is to recognize that we are human beings and God made us the way we are because that’s the way he wants us. I don’t think he expects perfection, or anything close to it, from any of us. I suspect this is why I , and people like me, have an issue with the Church’s teaching on mortal sin. How many times, on this very forum, do we see people say they masturbated and everybody advises them to hurry up and get confession because they don’t want to die with that on their soul. I believe God is much more merciful and understanding than the way the church portrays him in this regard. I have found that living in fear of eternal damnation is not exactly conducive to living a good life, the kind I believe God wants us each to live.

3 Likes

With other humans, yes. With God, I don’t think so. He isn’t bound to us the way we are to eachother.

1 Like

God expects us to be saints in the making. Certainly He knows we sin. He also expects us to purify ourselves.

0 Likes

But it is a relationship. We are free to sever that relationship, God is going to honor our wishes.

0 Likes

Well I think its more despair than scruples.

But I think despair is somewhat justified because in my current understanding billions are likely in hell, not exactly great news.

0 Likes

I always wonder when someone posts something like this — is it your intention to move people away from their Catholic faith? Of course you’re welcome to share your opinions and feelings. But why do you want to do so here?

1 Like

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.