Mortal Sin or Not Mortal Sin?

Okay so I can be a bit scrupulous at times however today I found myself in a situation that I feel may be considered mortally sinful. Basically what happened was that with full consent and knowledge I was well about to give into temptation, but just as I began I stopped myself thinking “No what are you doing!”. I didn’t really get a chance to commit the sin, at least I don’t believe I did…really I don’t even know…just what I am basically asking is if me even attempting to commit a sin despite me stopping myself could be considered sinful? Also, to make this a two part question I would like to know as to if a person can be counted as in mortal sin even if they are unsure if they are or are not in mortal sin. I heard someone once say that they read somewhere in the catechism that if one is unsure of if they are in mortal sin they may still receive. Of course we all know however though that only those in a state of grace can receive, wouldn’t this mean that they are in a state of grace?

If you are uncertain then it certainly was NOT a mortal sin at the time. Simply bring it up at your next confession, ask the priest if the sin would be mortal if you committed it in the future and receive communion NOW (even without confession) without scruples. :slight_smile:

This is a question for your confessor.

I’m very new so not sure, but wish to say “well done” on listening to the voice of the Spirit and stopping before you went any further.

Even if you have consciously committed a mortal sin and you knew it to be a mortal sin you can still offer sorrow and contrition even if you have not the door to go to Confession. A honest and sorrowful contrition can do this for you so that you are able to go to Holy Communion. However it is good to decide to bring this up to Confession as soon as you can. A sorrowful and contrite heart has always open the doors for God’s Mercy to fill ones heart. In fact one can say that God’s Mercy always enters you when you are contrite and sorrowful. The Sacrament of Confession just caps it. If you have doubts about if your sins are mortal than just take it up with your priest. He will acknowledge if your sins are mortal or not.

I am not sure that is correct. If a person has actually and knows he has committed a mortal sin, it is best to cross your arms for a blessing until you can get to confession. At Catholic Answers at catholic.com/tracts/who-can-receive-communion
It says on the topic of Who Can Receive Communion?:

“The Church sets out specific guidelines regarding how we should prepare ourselves to receive the Lord’s body and blood in Communion. To receive Communion worthily, you must be in a state of grace, have made a good confession since your last mortal sin, believe in transubstantiation, observe the Eucharistic fast, and, finally, not be under an ecclesiastical censure such as excommunication.”

First of all, if you are scrupulous “at times” you need to talk to a priest, and you ought to ask if and when these kinds of sins are mortal in your case.

Also about Receiving the Holy Communion when knowingly in a state of mortal sin:

To receive Communion while conscious of having committed a mortal sin is to receive Communion unworthily—which is another mortal sin. As Saint Paul (1 Corinthians 11:27) tells us, “Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.”

The question wasn’t about receiving knowingly, but rather unknowingly. For example, sometimes those of us who suffer from scruples tend to not be sure of what state we are in, at least this is the case for me.

I wasn’t targeting you. That is why I emphasized “intentional.” I understand scrupulosity because sometimes I am not sure where I may be, but when I am very concerned that it may be “grave” and mortal. I try to get to confession and just ask Father and he will usually tell me. If he says nothing, which is more often the case, I take it as I am fine with the absolution. My point is that if we really believe that it may be truly a mortal sin because of knowingly doing something, it is grave, etc., then I will not take Holy Communion so I am not committing another mortal sin by taking Communion with the possibility of having a mortal sin that has not been absolved by a Confessor. In no way, am I suggesting you are in a state of mortal sin. I am just saying, personally, when in doubt, I wait and go to confession to be sure.

Venial sins can appear to be mortal sins, but fail to meet each of the three conditions for mortal sin. If a sin is grave in nature, but the person did not have full consent or sufficient knowledge that what they were doing was sinful then it would be considered a venial sin.

All three of these conditions must be met otherwise the sin is considered a venial sin.
:black_medium_small_square:Grave matter.
:black_medium_small_square:Sufficiently full knowledge.
:black_medium_small_square:Full consent or freedom.

Grave matter means that the sin must be of substantial significance.
Sufficiently full knowledge means that one must fully know that the sin they are committing is serious and have the intention of breaking the relationship with God.
Full consent or freedom means that the person must fully and willingly commit the sin.

Hope this helps with scrupulosity issues in determining if it is Venial or Mortal, but when in doubt I always take it to my Confessor. God Bless you for being diligent about your relationship with our Lord.

You may not receive communion while in a state of mortal sin without first confessing your sin to a priest and receiving absolution; regardless of how sorry you are.

That is right, and if you receive the Holy Eucharist when knowingly in a state of mortal sin and not absolved by a priest, you are committing another mortal sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.