Mortal sin or Venial sin?

I missed Mass today.

I couldn’t get to the vigil but planned to go to the morning Mass as normal but missed it this morning for one reason or another. There is another Mass in a different parish about 25 minute drive away so planned on that. I was keeping an eye on the time to leave and was hanging washing out and realised after that Mass had started and we would get there too late.

My children are under the age of reason still and I know that caring for infants means the sin isn’t mortal but surely not for both of us?

I did want to go to Mass even though I am exhausted but how do I know whether in the back of my mind I wanted to miss Mass?

I don’t know where I stand now.

Thanks.

CCC 2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

First, exhaust isn’t a reason to not go to Mass, if anything it should push you to go even more. It all depends on the reason why you couldn’t go to the morning Mass. You didn’t provide the reasons. Did you sleep in? If yes, did you forget to use an alarm clock? It all depends on the specifics of the situation in order to properly evaluate if it was a mortal sin or not. My advice, go to Confession and explain the situation to the priest. Whether you did commit a sin or not, it’s making you scrupulous!

You screwed up and missed Mass. You made a mistake. People make mistakes. Confess your sin to the priest, don’t do it again, make sure you leave earlier next time, and in addition, getting to Mass late is better than not getting to Mass at all. I try to get to Mass on time and in recent weeks I have been pretty successful, but I have also had times when due to traffic or my own error I arrived partway through the Mass. It’s not my favorite thing to do but half a Mass is better than none.

It was NOT intentional, NO Mortal sin, but I would confess it just to gain peace of mind.

THANKS for all you do for your family!

Pray very much

Blessings

Partick

Perhaps confess if you think you were perhaps too unguarded or something. It might be Venial.
But we don’t have specifics.

Young children are tough.

When you get out of your routine it can be even tougher.

You have twins–which can be more work than singletons, too.

With children, if one is being particularly difficult or is ill then yes, my husband will go to Mass and I will stay home.

However, on occasion, there has been times when I felt unwell and the children had needs that were just not going to be fulfilled if my husband took off and went to Mass.

As it is, last time we had a sick kiddo, I’d already had a sleepless night so hubby did “his best” to attend Mass–which meant arriving late and leaving early.

There is a reason that the church has written in exceptions for parents! Sometimes it’s all you can do to keep them clothed and fed.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.