Mortal sin? Scrupulous should not read

I have OCD and it is very hard for me to distinguish between mortal and venial sin. I sexually sinned mortally about a year and a half ago or more. I went to confession and have not engaged in that behavior again. However I went on this person’s facebook page and saw a picture of him working on something. His shirt was a little raised and I wanted to look so I glanced at the picture quickly but then felt bad I did it so I looked away. Would this be a mortal sin? I did have a sexual feeling and looked but it was very fast. If I should say this in confession my biggest issue is how to say it. Do I go into details like I did in this post? Thanks for your help.

I would suggest saying exactly what you put in your post. It is short, provides the context, how you feel and it something that is concerning you.

May God bless you

Thank you and God bless you. I don’t want to go into it all if is not a mortal sin. Do you think it is?

CCCC

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent.

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent.

:thumbsup: The relevant bit can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church para 1854 - 1869. Here is a link: usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#

Thank you!

Thanks for your honesty .

Please just read what the Catechism of the Catholic Church has to say :
"1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

Now that above quote needs very , very serious consideration .

All three conditions have to be met together .

It has to be grave matter committed with full knowledge .

Now what you did was not grave matter , but suppose it was , you would have to commit it with full knowledge . Now the fact that you are asking the question whether it was a mortal sin shows you do not have full knowledge . So that rules out one of the condtions which would make it a mortal sin .

Again suppose the matter was grave . Did you give it deliberate consent ? From how you describe your attitude to what happened I would say that you did not give deliberate consent , but rather got out of the situation when you saw where it was leading . So that rules out another condition which would make it a mortal sin .

Not grave matter , no full knowledge and no deliberate consent . Plus the OCD would have a diminishing effect upon the gravity of the situation .

It isn’t easy to commit a mortal sin if you are striving to follow Jesus .

I have read where mortal sin is a 100% thing .

It has to be 100% grave matter .

There has to be 100% knowledge of this .

There has to be 100% consent .

If just 1% of any one of those three is absent , then it rules out mortal sin .

It’s has to be as simple and as serious as that .

Be at peace , and trust in God who does not allow us to fall into mortal sin as easily as some would make out . The fact is that He makes it hard for us to do so .

Thank you and God bless you. My OCD is torturous. It continues to taunt me and makes it so hard to differentiate venial and mortal sin. Thank you for your kind words.

My heart goes out to you and to any others suffering from OCD .

It must play havoc with your spiritual life .

I have little knowledge of OCD , but I have come across these thoughts in the link below which may be of some help .
catholicexchange.com/faith-fear-ocd

May you find peace , and come to realise that God your Father is always on your side .

P.S.

These words of Isaiah 41 :10 have just come to mind .

“I have chosen you; stop being anxious and watchful, for I am your God. I give you strength, I bring you help, I uphold you with my victorious right hand. Yes, all those who rage against you shall be put to shame and confusion; they who fought against you shall be destroyed and perish. I am your God, I am holding you by the right hand; I tell you: Do not be afraid, I will help you.”

Perhaps keeping them in the forefront of your mind , with the effects of OCD being “those who rage against you” , may help .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.