Mortal sin to eat meat outside of Lent on a Friday?

Is it a Mortal sin to eat meat on Fridays outside of Lent? I can’t seem to get a straight answer on this, someone told me we used to not be able to, then the church got away from that, now it’s recently been brought back. If so is it a sin, if it is, is it Mortal?

I’m pretty sure they’ve answered this over in the Ask an Apologist Forum, but I’ll go look. The answer to my recollection is no they haven’t brought it back. We are still supposed to do some form of observance on Fridays though, and it’s not a mortal sin, no. But let me see if I can find the post.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=58&highlight=Friday

hope I’ve done the link right, but if not, what I did was go to the AaA Forum and search on “Friday”. Hope this helps!!

dizzy_dave, The way the Catechism reads it looks like it is not a “Mortal Sin” to eat meat on Fridays in or out of Lent.

**1438 **The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church’s penitential practice. These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, **voluntary **self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

:slight_smile:

Is it a mortal sin to buy a hamburger for a homeless catholic during lent? We are supposed to be catholics not pharisees.

As far as whether eating Meat during non-Lenten Fridays is sinful:

No.

And more no.

We miss the whole point by just talking about meat on Fridays. Friday is the day that we remember the death of our Savior on the cross. We are called to special penance on this day. We can still refrain from meat or do another penance to replace it. We were not let off the hook. I have been observing meatless Fridays for some time. Last Friday we had a going away party for a fellow employee. The menu was steak. I had the steak and said an extra rosary that day.

May God help us all grow in our faith,
Deacon Tony SFO

NO, it is not a mortal sin to eat meat on Friday in or out of Lent. Voluntary penance, of which fast and abstinence and almsgiving have proven to be the most beneficial over 2000 years of our spiritual history, and asked of us, particularly on Friday, and in Lent, in memory of Christ’s passion.

Is it so difficult to not eat meat just one day a week? There are many people who are so poor they are lucky to eat meat even one day a week.
Have we become so accustomed to our luxuries that we are unwilling to make such a small sacrifice :frowning:

John

[quote=prodromos]Is it so difficult to not eat meat just one day a week? There are many people who are so poor they are lucky to eat meat even one day a week.
Have we become so accustomed to our luxuries that we are unwilling to make such a small sacrifice :frowning:

John
[/quote]

Not a question of unwilling here. I just plain forget!! Friday comes along and at noon I will remember what day it is, but I already had bacon and eggs for breakfast. :rolleyes:
It is hard enough for me to remember to say all of my prayers each day, get to daily mass when I can (especially Fridays), say special prayers for those who need it.
I converted as an adult… had no catholic influence growing up, so no one ever taught me the Friday sacrifice. I wasn’t even taught this in my instructions prior to entering the Church. Was I poorly catechised?
Each day, not just Friday, I try to do something special for God… As I perfect this… I will worry more about something extra special on Friday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.