Mortal Sin to not pray the Rosary?

Hey folks. So, for the sake of my scrupulosity, is it sinful if I choose not to pray the rosary? If I pray every day, but not the rosary, am I at fault? The rosary is a blessing in so many ways, and I’ve prayed it a lot before, but if I choose not to pray it every day due to it’s length, am I in sin? For example, if I choose to pray it a few times a week or once a week instead of nightly, am I okay? I feel as if I stopped, i’d be commiting spiritual sloth.

No. Nobody is obligated to pray the rosary. I only pray it every week or so.

No. Such is not in itself a sin.

Now if a Priest gives a decade of the Rosary etc in confession as a Penance --well that one needs to do.

My only issue is, if I stopped praying the rosary daily, would it be the sin of spiritual sloth?

No. One is not obligated to pray the Rosary, much less daily.

Praise God for all of your help! I feel like sometimes, I feel obligated, and I almost would rush through it. Like last night, for example, by rushing through the rosary because I was tired because I watched TV late be sinfull? Additionally, I admit to looking to see how muc I had left after each decade or so. I pray that’s not a mortal sin. Is it?

No, it is not a sin not to pray the rosary. You are not obligated to do so.

As others have said, the answer is “No,” it is most certainly not a sin to not pray the rosary.
Sounds like a classic scruple to me, so ignore the fear and don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

Right, but what about my other concern about rushing through it/seeing how much I had left?

If you are struggling from scrupulosity, you ought to seek the advice of a trusted priest and confessor, rather than asking strangers on the internet. It’s better to talk to someone you know in person–not that the good folks on here aren’t helpful, it’s just that sometimes there can be a variety of opinions which confuse, or else further opportunity to scruple even when help has been given. Know of my prayers for you.

-ACEGC

Thank you all for your help, love, and prayers! God Bless you all!

I know I’m a tad late to the party; however, I am a catechistsfor both our grade school religious education and for our RCIA program and this is something we cover to some great extent.

*(LifeWithChrist) * Hey folks. So, for the sake of my scrupulosity, is it sinful if I choose not to pray the rosary?

The Rosary is Private Revelation" (click here - this link also covers the Fatima ) and as such is not a required devotion of The Church.
Pray or don’t pray the Rosary, that is your choice.
(BTW: This isn’t grave matter; thus, no mortal sin can be attached here either - see the end of this post.)
(as I mention below, The Church does support this prayer to the level that indulgence is attached if you do choose to pray this devotion)

*(LifeWithChrist) * The rosary is a blessing in so many ways, and I’ve prayed it a lot before, but if I choose not to pray it every day due to it’s length, am I in sin?

See above about private revelations - there is no sin attached for not praying the Rosary.

The only thing you risk here are the attached indulgences:

Do the indulgences granted for praying the rosary require that all of the mysteries are prayed?Only five decades of the rosary are necessary for gaining a partial or plenary indulgence. The Handbook of Indulgences states (…click the link for the remainder)

note that many of us break the sets of mysteries up over the entire week and doing so:

EWTN- How to Pray the Rosary**4. For the Intentions of the Holy Father **
Catholics who say the rosary in a group, or, individually before the Blessed Sacrament,
may gain a plenary indulgence under the usual conditions, which includes prayer for the intentions of the Holy Father.

[quote]*(LifeWithChrist) *

I feel as if I stopped, i’d be commiting spiritual sloth.

*(edward_george) *

If you are struggling from scrupulosity, you ought to seek the advice of a trusted priest and confessor,
[/quote]

I HIGHLY agree with Edward about seeking the advise!
Scrupulosity can approach the level of being sinful in that one begins to place their own judgment before that of our Lord’s. In addition to seeking a good Catholic Spiritual Advisor, you might find the following to be a good starting point in stepping back from the scrupulosity cliff: Scrupulosity: The Occupational Hazard of the Catholic Moral Life

Keep in mind, The Little Flower -Saint Thérèse of Lisieux writes that she faced a time when prayer was difficult for her… and she “offered it up.” So even a lack of prayer in one’s life can be turned to the service of the Lord. You should read about her, and perhaps with her examples, along with the help of your Spititual Advisor, you can over come the scrupulosity that haunts you and binds you.

The LORD bless you and keep you!
The LORD let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you!
The LORD look upon you kindly and give you peace

If it would make you feel better just pray one decade a day, but meditate on the mystery as you do so. But what, and how you pray is very personal. If what you are doing is not bringing you closer to God, then it’s not for you at this time.

A wonderful book on how to pray is “prayer in practice”. Romano Guardini. He was one of pope Benedict’s theology professors.

For the sake of your scrupulosity, you need to stop posing questions here and get under the direction of a regular confessor and a spiritual director trained to help those with scrupulosity.

You really need the professional help of your pastor, no one here is going to be able to help you get these thoughts out of your head. It takes regular spiritual direction.

No, but there are great benefits to this devotion.

SUPREMI
APOSTOLATUS OFFICIO
ENCYCLICAL OF POPE LEO XIII
ON DEVOTION OF THE ROSARY

vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_01091883_supremi-apostolatus-officio_en.html

You can be a Holy Catholic bound for heaven if you never pray the Rosary or ask for any intercession. No one should ever feel that they must do this. It is not part of the faith to teach that this must be done. I believe praying the Rosary is beneficial and can endow you with grace. But no one ever HAS to do it. Ever.

No argument from me.

I would be concerned if the Rosary harbored in me a repugnance, an underlying revulsion of sorts. If so, then that would have me searching for the cause, since there is absolutely no stain on this Wonderful Lady’s character nor doubt of her ability to receive priority favors from her Son.

Maybe for me, OK, perhaps I woukld decide the devotion is not my preferance, but as soon has I discovered She has first dibs on any approvals with God, my instinct to help my sons,daughters, wife,loved one who are in purgatory and cannot plead for help would have me devoted. I’m a coward on my own, but with an army of friends of God, I can have someone listen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.