Mortal Sin While Dreaming

Hello!

If you willfully do something very sinful in a dream, is it considered a mortal sin?
Thanks!

• Stephie

You should discuss this with a priest. God bless you.

I feel certain the priest will tell you no. We aren't in control when we are asleep therefore cannot be held responsible for what we dream.

[quote="stephie_venuto, post:1, topic:347281"]
Hello!

If you willfully do something very sinful in a dream, is it considered a mortal sin?
Thanks!

• Stephie

[/quote]

You should discuss this with a priest. God bless you.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
1857 “For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: ‘Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.’”

When we are sleeping we are not in full control so it is not a mortal sin.

Mortal sin requires full knowledge and deliberate consent. Therefore there must be an act of the will, and so there must be intellect. As Saint Thomas Aquinas said "The Intellect is compared to the will as moving the will." But we should all be on guard as to what we allow our senses to take in, to consume i.e. "be sober, be vigilant". Descartes said "Nothing is in the imagination, that was not first in the senses."
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. (Prov. 4:23)

As the answers goes, it is not a mortal sin. Even I know that much. Of course, if you dream about something you have done the scenario is different. Most of our dreams are something we have done, but not all, so if it is just a dream your good and ready for Communion.

How could it be a sin ? Please don’t take dreams to seriously ,
It’s your subconscious. Having a bit of me time,of which you have very limited control .

Occasionally I will have dreams where I commit mortal sins out of a complete lack of self-inhibition ability. I wake up and feel terrible about it, but my priest told me awhile ago that nothing I did in a dream could be considered a mortal sin. I understand why you would be worried, but have peace in knowing that you are not capable of committing mortal sin while dreaming, although it is perfectly awesome to hope and pray that you can stop doing so in dreams. A lot of times, dreams showcase our subconscious wants, and many of our wants are disordered. Without the self-inhibition that our wake conscience provides us, we cannot be held responsible for falling to those wants in our dreams.

Would that also be the case where one knows they are dreaming and can kind of control the outcome of the dream, as in a lucid dream?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.