Mortal sin

I know there are many posts already on here about mortal sins, but I honestly don’t know if I have a mortal sin committed, and it’;s bugging me… because if I do, I don’t know it. Can any of you list a lot of examples of mortal sins here. Also, why is it that venial sins are not required in confession? Would a bunch of venial sins lead up to becoming a mortal sin?? I’m just confused on it all, because if venial sins can be taken away by taking communion, it kind of seems too easy that way… to get to Heaven.

Well i cant really say for sure what a mortal sin is but from what i know is that it must be grave and also you must have a knowledge of the seriousness of the sin. But if it bugs you that much go to confession and discuss this with a priest.

Sin is dealt with differently if you have a relationship with our lord. If it’s still fretting you, and you even confessed it before, then just bring it up, in that context as well, you may find additional guidance to the matter. You just found it here already with the above poster. Your priest should have better understanding and personal care to it all if you trust his guidance.

IC

It is not possible to commit a mortal sin without knowing it. It just can’t happen. So if you don’t know that something is grave enough matter that it could be a mortal sin, even if you do it, it isn’t a mortal sin. However, it is your responsibility to find out which acts are grave matter, and deliberately refusing to find out can be grave matter in itself.

It is always a good idea to go to confession regularly, even if you haven’t committed any mortal sins. You can certainly confess venial sins, and it is a good idea.

Venial sins don’t add up to mortal sins in some sort of “sin meter.” :slight_smile: However, “Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin.” (CCC #1863)

I seiously suggest you get a Catechism, as it is full of not only the information you are looking for, but also the information on how to grow in your relationship with God, through prayer, etc. Even if I had a complete list of all things that are grave matter (which I don’t, as I don’t keep track of those things to which I am not tempted), I wouldn’t be really happy about posting it here, as it might give the (incorrect) idea that all there is to Catholicism is avoiding a list of sins. It is about building a relationship with God–getting to know Him better. It is also about learning to accept the grace He sends to help you grow in active virtue, as well as to avoid sin.

–Jen

A venial sin is an act that is not so gravely immoral before God as to be entirely incompatible with true love of God and neighbor. An actual venial sin does not include sufficient culpability to take away the state of grace from the soul, nor to deserve eternal damnation. A venial sin is always in some way contrary to true love of God and neighbor, but to a substantially limited extent. An actual venial sin always includes some culpability and some lack of cooperation with grace, and always deserves some degree of punishment.

A mortal sin is an act that is so gravely immoral before God as to be entirely incompatible with true love of God and neighbor. An actual mortal sin includes sufficient culpability to take away the state of grace from the soul, and to deserve eternal damnation.

Saint Thomas Aquinas: “Therefore when the soul is so disordered by sin as to turn away from its last end, viz. God, to Whom it is united by charity, there is mortal sin; but when it is disordered without turning away from God, there is venial sin.”

Pope John Paul II: “And when through sin, the soul commits a disorder that reaches the point of turning away from its ultimate end, God, to which it is bound by charity, then the sin is mortal; on the other hand, whenever the disorder does not reach the point of a turning away from God, the sin is venial. For this reason venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity and therefore eternal happiness, whereas just such a deprivation is precisely the consequence of mortal sin.”

Mortal sin differs from venial sin both by degree and by type. Any mortal sin is more serious than any venial sin, so they differ by degree. Mortal sins are greater in degree, since they offend God more. But mortal sin is also a different type of sin, the type that deserves eternal punishment. No one is ever sent to Hell merely for unrepentant venial sins. But one unrepentant actual mortal sin is sufficient to condemn the person to eternal punishment in Hell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.