Mortal Sin

Just a thought. The third requirement for mortal sin is to say ‘yes’ to that sin so in that case if you stray into mortal sin but always try to fight it have you mortal sinned?
Thanks and God Bless

Can it happen that someone is in a “state of temptation” and does not consent to the sin and thus not commit a mortal sin? sure.

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

1. When does one commit a mortal sin?

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.

1. When does one commit a venial sin?

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

If you are talking about making a sudden decision with out sufficient fore thought, then it might not be Mortal sin, but you should confess it to a Priest.

If you are talking about the seduction of sexual temptation, then the person is most likely guilty of mortal sin. Scripture says we are to flee temptation. Most people know that intense kissing, touching, and disrobing, can be sexual sin unless you are married. It all leads to sexual intercourse. For those who say kissing isn’t sexual? Imagine you witness your spouse making out with some one. How would you feel?

catechism of the catholic church

1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

perhaps this elaborates on the idea of saying “yes” – the way I read it, even if you say "yes’ that’s not the whole story, as it says.

I haven’t gotten anybody to elaborate on 1735 in practical terms. If you sinned (objectively grave matter) but did so under duress, let’s say, I’m not even sure you have to mention it in confession. This paragraph is so vague on its practical application. It doesn’t even give an example or elaborate on those “other” factors.

But, recall, this paragraph is part of the “depost of faith” as much as anything else in the Catechism.

We’re told we only have to confess mortal sins in confession, but we can confess venial sins, too. But, no priest has ever asked me about my mortal sins, to determine if 1735 applied in any way to me.

I commit certain objectively grave sins, but I wouldn’t even be close to committing them, if I didn’t have the psychological problem that I do.

So if full consent is not given even though you continue in whatever act it may be is that a mortal sin? For example I was thinking of St Paul to the church in Rome 7:14-25 where talks about carrying out acts that you do not understand why you do them?

Setting aside what Paul talks about there --that takes us somewhat off course here.

If complete consent is not given…and the temptation still say return despite one not wanting it – is that a mortal sin? No.

But if one continues the act well – I cannot say complete consent is not given.

If I have a gun and I want to murder my boss – and I go there and point the gun at him and pull the trigger --I would say that would be grave matter, full knowledge and deliberate consent. Now if I somehow lost my mind that can be a different story…

It is difficult to discuss such in the abstract. Ones confessor can advise a person in a particular case.

Fuller presentation: scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#IV

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.