Mortal sin.

Jesus did teach us that there is only one sin that will never be forgiven, “who invented” the mortal sins? And what if we don’t have time to confess? This is quite scary since most of us are not in the state of Grace more then a week or two.

The Devil and Adam and Eve …

Mortal sins are – certainly forgivable. Ordinarily in Baptism and Confession.

As to what mortal sin is and what venial sin is: scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm

As to “the unforgivable sin”:

Catechism:

scborromeo.org/ccc/para/1864.htm
scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a10.htm#982

As to time to confess - 1. Let us pray and follow Jesus -renewing our profession of faith and our life of prayer daily…live the Sacraments…live as his disciples…live in faith hope and love…read Sacred Scripture…follow him --for it is HE who gives us life and can keep us in it…and let us by his grace of course not commit mortal sins – (grave matter, full knowledge and complete consent) (and let us be clear as to what such are) 2. Let us confess often -even with only venial sins which can be forgiven in other ways. 3. If one falls into a mortal sin let us turn to the Good Shepherd and make an act of perfect contrition (see Catechism) and resolve to confess as soon as possible. Via the grace of perfect contrition one can be restored by God to a state of Grace though one still needs to goto confession (and abstain from Holy Communion).

Let us as you say there:let us renew daily and live our YES to Christ! vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2006/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20060108_battesimo_en.html

Jesus is the Good Shepherd who loves us and desires to give us life.

Jesus came that we might have life and have it in abundance! Via his Cross and Resurrection… True life!

Do not be fearful. God understands when you are sorry for your sins. While it is important to receive the Sacrament of Confession, God knows your situation. He knows that you depend on the priest coming to see you once a month in order to receive the Sacrament of Confession and Holy Communion.

For someone who has access to confession in a parish, they would want to receive the Sacrament anytime they felt they were in a state of mortal sin.

If someone dies while in a state of mortal sin, yet, they would have gone to Confession at the next available time - God knows and understands this desire.

You can discuss this with the kind priest who visits you. I’m sure he would be happy to help you remain in peace knowing you can not get to Confession as frequent as you may wish.

God bless.

I just wanted to address the second half of your question, since BC did a great job already on the two. But my thought is, if we “don’t have time to confess,” then that best serve as an indication of our priorities needing to be readjusted. There is nothing–nothing–more important than our eternity. Our jobs, our spouses, our children, all of these things can wait for the 20 minutes it takes to go confession.

Just my :twocents:. :slight_smile:

Some people don’t have the chance to get to the Sacrament that easily.

While some people can have the chance to stop what they are doing and go straight to Confession, others do not have Confession so available to them.

Of course not. However, not having something available to them is not the same as simply not having time for it. I’m working on the assumption of the Sacrament being available. We can’t be held responsible for what is out of our control. :thumbsup:

If you believe in a “death-dealing” sin and that your lack of time to get to confession might cause an issue. I highly recommend your going to confession. Don’t sit around hoping that the thief in the night might strike before you are ready. God sees and knows your heart. Be not afraid. Oh, be wise, be insured.:eek:

The unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Mt 12:31), because to deny the Spirit can forgive sins is to deny the one being who can forgive sins, to cut yourself off from God’s mercy.

The Mortal Sins began as the most serious sins–originally three were singled out, murder, adultery, and apostasy. These were the sins that required the public penitentiary for repentance, precisely because they were so serious. Over time, other sins were added, by the judgment of the Church, because they also are a serious rejection of God’s grace and our living in God.

If you make regular confessions, and efforts to avoid sin, God will recognize your efforts, and not hold it against you that you may have died between the time you sinned and when Confession was available. It is those who make no effort to “get right” with God who will be caught unready.

As for the fear of dying in a state of mortal sin, I would offer:

1. Mortal sins as such are not necessarily as common as we think. They require not only grave/serious matter, but also full knowledge and full consent of the will. Many times, one or the other may be lacking, at least in part.

2. If you are aware of serious sin in your life, why not get to Mass early enough to go to Confession when it is offered? Or make an appointment with the priest, if it is not offered? What else in your life is more important than your immortal soul? Even if you need your job, and sleep, I suspect that is not more than 100-120 hours per week, leaving a minimum of 48 hours each week at your disposal. Confession should not take more than a few minutes; even counting the time to prepare and complete your penance will probably be under an hour.

Make time! Why would you deliberately endanger your immortal soul?

There is the Perfect Act of Contrition…confessions should be sought at the nearest opportunity though…

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee,
and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell;
but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.

Sorry to sound pedantic but its not a perfect act of contrition, its an act of perfect contrition and its conditional upon firm intent to get to Confession as soon as possible.

Also, nobody could be 100% sure they had made such an act. The words in themselves are not enough.

Well, I got this small problem, I am unable to attend Mass and a priest from our Parish come once a month to hear my confession and give me Communion. I suffer from a very difficult panic-disorder and severe depression and my “world” is just as big as I can walk. So I don’t have many options actually.

Thank you all for your kind answers, I feel much better now. May God bless you all.

This is information you should have put in your opening post. The discussion could have taken a different direction.

Lasting Faith’s opening post was very generic, so a generic answer would have been appropriate - What do people do to stay in a state of grace if there isn’t time to make it to Confession.

Lasting Faith: Jesus did teach us that there is only one sin that will never be forgiven, “who invented” the mortal sins? And what if we don’t have time to confess? This is quite scary since most of us are not in the state of Grace more then a week or two.

Our world is filled with people who don’t have time to make it to Confession - those who are very far from any parish, those whose parish does not have a full-time priest, those unable to travel to a parish.

Our answers could be tailored to the big picture of “us” that Lasting Faith asked - not to his specific needs unless he specifically wanted to know only about himself.

So, it was his choice to ask his question as he wanted to ask it, not to be told that he should have added more details.

The OP appeared to ask a question that required a generic answer but it turned out he was indeed talking about himself! If he had given that information at the start we could have tailored our answers accordingly.

Maybe the OP did want a generic answer on how all people can stay in a state of grace, since not everyone has the time or availability to go to Confession.

People can ask general statements and apply all the answers to their own lives.

I think telling some one that they should ask a question in a certain style is infringing on the way they choose to express themselves in their question.

That is your opinion, to which you are entitled, just as I am to mine.

Sorry about getting my “P’S and …” Q’s" mixed up, but how would anyone be sure if they confessed to a Priest that their sins forgiven were accepted by God ? you know how they know? BECAUSE CONFESSION IS A SACRAMENT " ! — it doesn’t matter if you don’t like Father Joe, Father Jim or his uncle twice removed, the power is in the Sacrament.
So if the Catholic Church by the power of binding and loosening creates a prayer that is to be said as an "ACT OF PERFECT CONTRITION " then the power is in the prayer, the power is in the Church, the power is the Rock, believe that you have been forgiven !

However, in the case of an act of perfect contrition the forgiveness of your sins is conditional upon your firm intent to get to Confession as soon a possible. If you do not have that intent or even if you do at the time but when there are opportunities to get to Confession you opt not to take them and decide to go at a later time then you have not fulfilled the condition.
If everything is done properly then of course if you die before getting to Confession then your sins would be forgiven and you would be saved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.