Mortal sin

How hard is it to commit a mortal sin?
Also what determines a mortal sin?
Thanks and God Bless.

[quote="StephenL, post:1, topic:346326"]
How hard is it to commit a mortal sin?

[/quote]

It's quite easy if we aren't in a state of grace or are determined to commit one. ;)

Also what determines a mortal sin?
Thanks and God Bless.

Mortal sins are grave sins based on the 7 seven deadly sins: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

To be culpable of mortal sin one must know it is a mortal sin, do it willingly, and deliberately.

Such would be a bit of a misnomer…

But can such be mortal sins? yes.

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

1. How are sins distinguished according to their gravity?

A distinction is made between mortal and venial sin.
395. When does one commit a mortal sin?**

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.
396. When does one commit a venial sin?**

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html
Catechism: **

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#IV

God doesnt differentiate between ‘mortal’ and ‘venial’ sin. there is no such thing in the bible. Men made up those words, not God.

The soul that sins shall die. Period.

Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

The only truly “mortal” sin would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. And even then Jesus directed that only at the Pharisees, people who are supposed to know God. God can forgive even this blasphemy of one who sins ignorantly.

If that were not the case, Paul himself would be in hell

""The only truly "mortal" sin would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. And even then Jesus directed that only at the Pharisees, people who are supposed to know God. God can forgive even this blasphemy of one who sins ignorantly. "

We'll actually all sins can be forgiven if you repent. Do you honestly think Jesus is going to say No, even though love me and Praise me, I am going to send you to hell even though you repented?

[quote="Truth1611, post:5, topic:346326"]
*God doesnt differentiate between 'mortal' and 'venial' sin. there is no such thing in the bible. Men made up those words, not God.

Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

The only truly "mortal" sin would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. And even then Jesus directed that only at the Pharisees, people who are supposed to know God. God can forgive even this blasphemy of one who sins ignorantly.

If that were not the case, Paul himself would be in hell

[/quote]

See

1 John 5:16-17 : "If any one sees his brother committing what is** not a mortal sin,** he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is a sin which is not mortal."

Further evidence for differentiating degree of sin:

Luke 12:47-48: "And that servant who knew his master's will, but did not make ready or act according to his will, shall receive a severe beating. But he who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, shall receive a light beating. Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required; and of him to whom men commit much they will demand the more."

John 19:11: "'. . . he who delivered me to you has the greater sin.'"

1 Timothy 1:13: "though I formerly blasphemed and persecuted and insulted him; but I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief."

Hebrews 10:26: "For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,"

[quote="Truth1611, post:5, topic:346326"]
God doesnt differentiate between 'mortal' and 'venial' sin. there is no such thing in the bible. Men made up those words, not God.

[/quote]

I am afraid you have stumbled upon some misinformation.

Yes there is "sin unto death" and Paul is very serious about such sins...(see his letters)

But one who has fallen into such - can if they are alive - repent and be restored by grace to true life.

God bless.

That is heresy. :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.