Mortal sin

Hey I have a question about mortal sin, so here goes , if I know I am going to commit a sin in advance for example,if I know I am not going to mass next week for whatever reason or the week after or next month whatever ,is it a mortal sin. If so have I already committed a mortal sin in my mind by acknowledging it will happen.

Appreciate any replies,
God Bless Ryan

Why wouldn’t you be at Mass?

You haven’t committed the sin yet. You would still have time to change. Perhaps going to Mass will be enough for you to reconsider your actions. However, I don’t think you should partake of the Body and Blood of Christ because it sounds to me like you are planning to deliberately insult His Mercy.

If you can anticipate a missed mass, you can ask for a dispensation in advance. No sin would be involved.

I depend on what one means…

Can one commit a mortal sin by *deciding *one will not go to Mass - knowing that it is grave matter -and with full knowledge chosen deliberately?

Yes. One could.

But is it a sin if say - one knows that your army unit will be taking you in a month to where one can not attend any Mass? No.

Ok so what it is ,im going away up north in a couple of weeks the day before and wont be home until late,ill be having a few drinks etc… so there’s a possibility of waking up feeling under the weather (so-to-speak)-now i know i will have committed a mortal sin if i don’t attend mass because ,but have i already committed a mortal sin by knowing its a possibility that i might not attend mass at the time?

It not a sin to think about stuff.

Get yourself out of bed, regardless of your hangover, and get to Mass. Being hungover is no excuse for missing Mass. You can sleep it off when you get home from Mass.

Let me get this straight: you are planning to have a hangover after a night of hard partying, so you will skip, on purpose, communing with your SAVIOR?

I assume you are young; if so, and I was your mother, you’d have a bootprint on your behind, AND you’d be at mass.

Not so.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” - (Matthew 5:27-28)

Thinking may not be as grave - I don’t know - but one can definitely sin just thinking about “stuff”.

Peace
James

So - - - Is having “a few drinks” worth offending God?

:hmmm: hmmmm

Perhaps it would be better to just have one or two drinks and not miss Mass.

Peace
James

Visit Masstimes.org. You may be able to find a Mass that is late enough in the day to make it a non-issue.

Hopefully, by “a few drinks” you really just a meant a few, and are not planning to get so drunk you can’t get out of bed in the morning, which, I believe, would be objectively mortally sinful as well. Planning to miss Mass because you are worried about the effects of another mortal sin seems like a very bad idea. Keep the drinking moderate and have coffee in the morning.

But maybe you just mean a few drinks and are just concerned with how late you’ll be out and how tired you’ll be the next day. All I can say is that the obligation to attend Mass is very serious, so we should incorporate that obligation into our plans as best we can. Go tired or go later in the day.

So, ask yourself if it would be okay to make the choice to have a few drinks that will cause you to wake up feeling under the weather so you decide in advance not to go to Mass if that should happen…or to decide to not drink so much, and don’t stay out so late, so that you can attend Mass where we receive the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ.

You have free will…I pray you make the right choice with the help of the grace of God.

I was referring to the specific context, where the poster appears scrupulous. I forgot to place my usual disclaimer to seek spiritual guidance and avoid soliciting well meaning but often incomplete information from the internet and elsewhere.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.