Mortal Sin

Arial
what do you think of this definition - A mortal sin is a culmination of many sins that have deadened our spiritual life to God’s graces and have caused us to spiral downward toward indifference to God and God’s creation.

**Many small sins does not a mortal sin make. They weaken our souls and help us slide easier into temptation to commit mortal sin. As stated a grave offense against God in which we have full knowledge and then consent to do it.

1855 Mortal sin destroys charity in the heart of man by a grave violation of God’s law; it turns man away from God, who is his ultimate end and his beatitude, by preferring an inferior good to him.
**1859 **Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

**1857 **For a *sin *to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

Thank you for reinforcing what I was thinking. I am worried that our faith formation director, in charge of the formation of children to adults, would say such a thing. How do you suggest I proceed? You may be interested in knowing that he also said that missing Mass (without a valid reason) was “a serious and grave sin in need of reconciling” but would not call it a mortal sin. Hence the definition of mortal sin. Yikes!

I would suggest you do a google search on examination of conscience, there are some that have mortal sin and venial sin specified. I would print some from different sites. Look up the quote in the catechism on venial sin study them all and present them to the faith and formation director. You may even help educate her/him.

Sounds like mumbo-jumbo to me. While venial sin can condition us to sin mortally, no amount of venial sins can add up to one mortal sin.

As far as I understand it, missing mass is indeed a mortal sin for Catholics - it is the sin of disobience. If you are a practicing Catholic then you must abide by the discipline of the Church.

[quote=Atreyu]As far as I understand it, missing mass is indeed a mortal sin for Catholics - it is the sin of disobience. If you are a practicing Catholic then you must abide by the discipline of the Church.
[/quote]

I agree with you. Its a mortal sin to deliberately miss Mass on a Holy Day of Obligation. Sundays are such days (apart from others).

Thank you all! this is my first time in a forum and hope to be back!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.