Mortal sins & Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Hi,

I am not sure of the difference between mortal sins and Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I do know both unrepentant mortal sins and Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit land us in hell by our own free will choice for all eternity.

Is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit the same as unrepentant mortal sin? Please explain.

God Bless You!

The Church teaching:

CCC 1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

CCC 1864 is also standard teaching throughout all Christendom.

May I add my own peculiar observation though.

A mortal sin is forgivable if properly confessed, sincerely regretted and fellowship with God is sought by the offender.
Also a mortal sin does not have to specifically be an offense against the Holy Ghost.

Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is one particular mortal sin (there are many others), it is the only one that our Lord declares irreversible as He stated in:
Matthew 12:31-32 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come. (please read the paragraph preceding v31 for context so that you may relate it to CCC 1864.

Many Christians read these particular verses and become afraid of having committed an unforgivable sin.
The sincere reading of scripture and the fear of offending God are good evidence that this sin has not transpired.

This is just my opinion but I believe it will test well; I don’t believe it is possible for a confirmed believer in Jesus Christ to commit this unforgivable sin, the Holy Ghost Himself will protect them. Our Lord did not give sufficient details to make it possible for anyone to write a recipe for committing this sin, He loves us too much to allow such a temptation.

I think Catholics would also agree.

I am still wondering if the Catholic Church teaches that Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is basically the inability to repent of mortal sins… but why the distinction?

Hello Godheals,

My personal exception to the common teaching of "what it means to blaspheme the Holy Ghost" is an exception to the total of Christian teaching. In this case the Roman Catholic teaching is equivalent to Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists an so on.
My problem is I can't get my mind off what it literally means to "blaspheme the Holy Ghost".
Basically I am not in agreement because I don't comprehend the standard explanation.
Greater minds than us have concluded that ultimately the rejection of the salvation offered by our Lord Jesus is equivalent to "Blaspheming the Holy Ghost" hence the saving grace of God will be denied in such a case.
This explicit equivalency does not seem to hold up in scripture or tradition (if it does I just don't get it).
So you have raised a great question in my opinion and I appreciate the fact that you did, it means I am not alone.
Please join with me in one thing though.
Just because I (perhaps we) do not grasp a particular teaching of doctrine, does not mean the doctrine us at fault.
2000 years of sacred teaching, martyrs, prayers and sacrifice deserve consideration.
So while I don't agree (or rather understand) a particular teaching, it is not cause for rebellion.
On the other hand just because I (perhaps we) don't quite go along with conventions doesn't mean we should not continue our pursuit.
In the end Christ must be glorified if we remain faithful.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts… I don’t think Baptists and Presbyterians believe in mortal and venial sins. You call yourself a Calvinist, which is part of Presbyterian teaching in some ways i gather… I find your beliefs interesting, how you arrived to believe in mortal and venial sins.

I just reverted back to the Catholic Church this past Holy Saturday and try to stay as close to the Magisterial teaching as possible.

Maybe someone will post more after reading the post.

Hello God Heals,

Calvinists of course do not believe in moral and venial sins or at least will not use the well known Catholic terminology.
Technically for Calvinists it is irrelevant because of the doctrine of predestination for those redeemed.
I am very comfortable with the both doctrines since they are supported in scripture.
It helps me that my alumnus is a Catholic university where theology was mandatory even for engineering students.
I also don’t believe these concepts contradict each other although serious theologians from both sides would probably take me to task, and maybe I could use some disciplining.
My congratulations to you for drawing close to Magisterial teaching, when people lean too much on their own understanding the door to heresy opens far too easily.
May your devotion to faith in Jesus Christ bring you peace and joy.

Thank you for your kind non-Catholic Christian witness to me. And thank you for your encouraging words to stay close to the Catholic Magisterium. It has been a blessing chatting with you.

Your Brother in Christ … Brian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.