Mortal Sins Prior to First Confession (and another thing)

What happens to the catechumen who knowingly commits a grave sin, who is not allowed to partake of the sacrament, and gets hit by a bus and then dies?

The other thing:

As for a candidate, who has been baptized (hence him being a candidate), he need not confess the sins committed prior to becoming a Christian by baptism? Is that correct?

I was taught that the catechumen would be saved by baptism of desire.

The candidate would need to have first confession prior to Catholic confirmation, they would need to confess sins committed since his/her baptism.

Baptism by desire… I’d like more info on that if someone would be willing to expound on it.

I believe I found the answer to my second question. It was answered by CAF already:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=511026

I am sure others may give a more involved/complete explanation, being a recent convert myself I am not by any means an expert. Here is a description from the Catechism:

CCC 1259 - For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.

As part of our RCIA program we received a copy of the Catholic Catechism, which we used in our classes. I highly recomend getting one if one is not given to you.

Here is a link that covers the sacraments of initiation:
scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm

I’ve also heard that baptism of desire is important here. It’s the same as a newborn infant whose parents must wait a few days to have the baby baptized. They have the intention, but cannot yet go through with the process. Whereas the adult would have mortal sin on their conscience, the baby would still have the stain of original sin. Probably the worst that could happen would be that both would be sent to purgatory, but we would hope that heaven would be immediately obtained.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.