Mortal Sins

The Church is very clear about this in the canon etc…if one forgets a mortal sin one is obliged to still confess it.

Same thing is true in the case where your on a plane that is crashing and a Priest aboard gives everyone general absolution…if one survives…one is still obligated to confess all mortal (grave) sins in the next confession possible…even though one was already absolved…

You can read it further too in the canon…

Can. 988 §1. A member of the Christian faithful is obliged to confess in kind and number all grave sins committed after baptism and not yet remitted directly through the keys of the Church nor acknowledged in individual confession, of which the person has knowledge after diligent examination of conscience.

The Church here is really emphizing this obligation…

this may help too…

Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers here states the same thing:

Person asks:

Also, I have been told by several priests that this means that if one remembers a mortal sin after confession, they should know that they are forgiven for it so long as they mention it the next time they go to confession. 

Jimmy Akin Answers

Correct, though this should be formulated a little differently. You are forgiven if you meant to confess all your mortal sins and just forgot one. Having been forgiven of the one you forgot, you are still obligated to confess it the next time you go to confession. It’s not that your forgiveness of it is conditional on you adopting the intention to confess it next time. That sin has already been forgiven. It’s that you incur a new sin if you refuse to adopt the intention of confessing it."

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/09/a_reader_writes_1.html

Yes, yours is a little more legalistic POV and mine a bit more pastoral, but we’re really on the same page. I’d rather see someone go to confession, even if they don’t do it as well defined as they should and have the opportunity for the priest to help them out rather than have them avoid confession for fear of not doing it correctly or just plain being afraid to confess embarrasing sins. Maybe that’s not what the OP had in mind, but it is what I am suggesting.

Ideally, you are correct. :thumbsup:

Hummm…not “legalistic” but yes “legal language” as well as theological language.

So the person would need to …is required to…confess all mortal sins in number and kind…now they many not know the theological terms etc…but they can ask the priest to help…but they need to not be too vague…but still get to what it is they did and the number of times they did (as they can recall) :slight_smile:

Yes they can be forgiven without confession
Yes you still need to confess a to a priest :slight_smile:

Thank you for setting me straight. Like I said, I always followed this and I always taught that the forgotten sin needs to be confessed at the next visit to the Sacrament. I just did not realize that it was obligatory being that the sin was forgiven and one could return to the Eucharist. Well that’s why I come here. We never stop learning and I thank you for your patience with me and your continued support. God bless you…teachccd :slight_smile:

Your very welcome

We are all on this pilgrimage together :slight_smile:

(I get set straight too…for instance my wife sets me straight! …:slight_smile: )

Bookcat, on a quick sidebar, we are almost tied for our number of posts. I’ll let you catch up! :wink:

I was away in Europe on vacation the last two weeks (just came back this week)…hence fewer posts

So perhaps you can go on vacation so I can…:slight_smile:

So if you are forgiven without confession but you don’t go to confess, is that another mortal sin?

Also, is it definite and explicitly stated in Catechism that those with unforgiven mortal sins will surely go to Hell?

My final question pertains to non-Catholics. Since they weren’t raised Catholic, they wouldn’t really know that something such as masturbating is a grave sin. Since they don’t know, would masturbation be a venial sin for them?

Three things are necessary for a sin to be mortal: 1. Serious matter. 2. Knowlege or firm belief that the act is seriously wrong prior to committing the act; 3. Full consent of the will.

Perhaps you can look up mortal sin in the CCC (Catechism of the Catholic Church) here:

vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Has the CCC always been the same since the beginning of the Roman Catholic Church? If it’s been changed, wouldn’t that violate the whole concept of the Magisterium being infallible?

One place I found in the CCC about hell is here: 1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.

Where has the CCC changed that would violate the Magisterium?

There have been many catechisms over time, not composed exclusively of dogmas of faith, but with other doctrines. Since not all all doctrines are dogmas of faith, they may change, so also the catechism.

The act of teaching is properly called infallible, the solemn definitions concerning faith and morals of ecumenical councils, approved by the Pope, and also those made ex cathedra by the Pope.

How can it be infallible if the teachings can change?

Since the Catechism can change, is it possible that certain sins that were once viewed as of grave matter might be viewed as less serious in the future?

The doctrines of the Catholic Church are the deposit of faith revealed by Jesus Christ, taught by the apostles, and handed down in their entirety by the apostles to their successors. Since revealed truth cannot change, and since the deposit of faith is comprised of revealed truth, expressed in Scripture and Sacred Tradition, the deposit of faith cannot change.

What sins?

The Catechism is as Pope John Paul II noted “a sure norm” …but it per se is not infallible. It contains many things that are infallible but not everything there is dogma…some even are discipline.

As to grave matters…some things are even in “Divine Revelation” as very serious…!

other things are discipline which the Church can change…

As to protestants etc …who do not have the benefit of the Teachings of the Church…God must judge them…they can know many things simply from Scripture or natural law…reasons…

Anyhow the focus must be on following Christ! the Yes to him certainly involves certain 'No’s" to sins…but the Yes is the focus…in joy and new life! :slight_smile:

What is taught as a matter of faith or morals, as a dogma of faith, which must be believed, does not change, because Divine Revelation is already complete. Our understanding becomes more complete however, so the words used to describe may change, just as language changes.

A grave sin, and intrinsicly evil acts (like abortion), remain so. I once researched intrinsic evil and found that there is at least one such action for nine of the ten commandments.

Apostle Paul said:

“Do not be deceived: neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the Kingdom of God” (1 Cor 6:9-10).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.