Mortal sins

If you forget that you committed a mortal sin before confessing it does this mean that you remain in a state of mortal sin (I don’t mean that you forgot to confess it, but that you totally forgot you committed it before confessing it)

Nope. But you’re supposed to confess it the next time.

I mean if you totally forgot that you ever committed the sin in the first place

Right, if you forget, and confess your other sins, then you are forgiven, if you forgot. But then when you remember you're supposed to confess it the next time.

I didn't become Catholic until I was 39 so this happens to me a lot

:o

[quote="PaulinePresbytr, post:3, topic:322491"]

[/quote]

That's still correct. When the absolution is given, all of your sins are forgiven, whether you remember them or not.

If you remember later a grave sin, it is still forgiven, so you don't automatically revert out of a state of grace. However, you need to bring it up in Confession at the next possible opportunity.

[quote="PaulinePresbytr, post:3, topic:322491"]

[/quote]

Right despite examining ones conscience --one simply did not recall it.

One meant to confess all ones mortal sins -- and was contrite and amended.....such would be absolved indirectly and one would need to confess it in the next confession (unless of course one never remembered it in the first place)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.