Mortal/venial sin problems

How do you uphold the idea of mortal/venial sins when Jesus says that even looking at a girl is adultery or that even hating a guy is murder? And that the wages of sin is death?
Thanks

[quote=D Quintero]How do you uphold the idea of mortal/venial sins when Jesus says that even looking at a girl is adultery or that even hating a guy is murder? And that the wages of sin is death?
Thanks
[/quote]

Jesus didn’t say “look,” He said “lust.” And he said “murder in your heart” (meaning the intent to kill someone, even though you don’t have the means or opportunity - ie, if you did, you would).

It is not sinful to notice that a girl is attractive. It is sinful to carry it further.

But this isn’t really a question about mortal/venial sin. Sins of the heart may be either type.

that is a good answer. i know what the verse said, i was just tired.
I still need help with the wages of sin is death verse. my opponet says that if you have any sin, you will go to hell.

I’m not sure what you’re asking. But it sounds like you are saying that sin is sin, and you don’t understand why Catholics say some sins are fatal to the soul and others sins just harm our relationship with God.

Here’s the relevant scripture passage:

*1 John 5:14-17 And this is the confidence which we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have obtained the requests made of him. If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. *All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

Add to that this verse which says certain humans (apostles and their successors - our priests) can declare sins forgiven:

Jn 20:19-23 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

I thank you for the answer. I am very tired and I should have waited to tomorrow to ask but I will try my best. I believe in mortal and venial sins but I am debating an opponent on purgatory and he believes that all sin will lead to hell. Ranch Quotes me:
If we are not pure when we die, we never will be.

Where in scripture does it say that?

Answer
The wages of sin is death (Rom. 6:23).

[quote=D Quintero]…my opponet says that if you have any sin, you will go to hell.
[/quote]

That’s a rather extreme viewpoint. Does your friend believe that *anyone *can get to heaven? Because, by his definition, I sure won’t, and I don’t think I know anyone who will.

However, if you press him to define and clarify what he means by “sin” I think he will define it pretty much the same way that Catholics define “mortal” sin, and his definition would exclude “venial” sins. And then shake his hand and tell him you agree completely.

Except, of course, you have the option of Confession…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.