Mortal & Venial Sins

How seriously should we take sin? What is so wrong with grading/evaluating sin? There are some sins that cause more harm on a grand-scale to others and to one’s self? There are others are simply slights. I understand sin is bad and wrong. So long as I am alive, I will sin. Not only this, people around me will always be sinner. What the heck am I supposed to do? It is in our human inclination to be sinful. I have a difficult time agreeing with an attitude, unexpressed thought, etc being a sin. What harm does it do it others if I think I am better than they are, if I think they are stupid (especially if they actually are). What if I am better than someone at something, what is so wrong in thinking that. And is there such thing as too much honesty? My sister said something a long the lines that just because something is true, does not mean it should be expressed.

I will share from my perspective…

Our Lord Jesus Christ gave his all to us, to redeem us and to enable our sanctification.

I desire to pick up my cross and follow Him. It does not help when I look at others and see their flaws and sins. It is between me and the Lord that I need to cooperate with His grace, purchased at such a high price, in order to be more like Him.

We are told to “love our enemies”. (All those who would detract us from following the Lord.)
We can only do that with His grace! It requires prayer and the sacraments to follow the Lord. We have all the remedies we need if and when we stumble.

When there is more of Him and less of me in my spirit, then His light can shine through and others will be attracted to His peace and love.

Reading the lives of the saints inspires me!

The Lord is good, way beyond my understanding.

Peace in Jesus and Mary,

Dorothy

Hello Pelagia.

How seriously? Very. When you love someone, in this case God, you want to please that person and foster a good relationship with that person. Sin mars this and reduces the experience of love and can eventually destroy it. The relationship ends and with God, that is unthinkable!
“Grading sin” is necessary because folks need a dividing line that it visible and comprehendible because on a practical level they need to know when they can and cannot receive Communion and when they need to seek Penance and forgiveness. Without solid understanding of venial vs mortal sin your salvation becomes guess work and who wants that?
You’re view is one of hopelessness in the spiritual life. You state that you will always sin so why bother? Is there not anytime in your day when you aren’t sinning? How about this scenario: it is Saturday and you’ve just made a good confession and said your penance and you are still sitting in a quiet church and you are at peace with God because He has just forgiven you your venial stuff and is quietly restoring your soul while you look around at the windows and just sit. You aren’t committing any sins at all because your house has been stilled, as St. John of the Cross says and there is no sin in your future for say about two hours till you begin interacting once again with folks and things and the world. You are enjoying the peace and decide to stay for Mass and you don’t actually commit any sins till you get to the parking lot to leave and some one cuts you off and well, back to being a sinner…but didn’t you just have maybe an hour or so in a state of peace and grace when there was no sin? Get it. In the practice of trying not to sin, you’ve learned how to control your thoughts and are sinning less and so you find some peace. Don’t give up. You can do it. In the work it takes to sin - less, you may find times when you are peaceful and sinless. Get it? There are those who do have this little bit of time without sin. It actually happens. Give up your despair. It prevents you from getting there. Fight the good fight.

Glenda

Sin = separation from God. And it’s not up to us to decide what sin is. Is it a sin to have evil thoughts? I would day yes.

Matthew 5:28 (Christ’s speaking)

But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

If it is said, it must be said charitably (with love, not causing injury, and without pride). Sometimes it is better to remain silent, perhaps to wait for the right occasion and moment when our words are more likely to be taken in and thoughtfully considered.

Very seriously

What is so wrong with grading/evaluating sin?

There is nothing inherently wrong with grading/evaluating sin.
However, there is a danger in how one might use such grading. Such dangers can run from despair to presumption…

There are some sins that cause more harm on a grand-scale to others and to one’s self? There are others are simply slights. I understand sin is bad and wrong. So long as I am alive, I will sin. Not only this, people around me will always be sinner. What the heck am I supposed to do? It is in our human inclination to be sinful.

Do your best and rely on God’s mercy.

I have a difficult time agreeing with an attitude, unexpressed thought, etc being a sin.

Someone already mentioned Jesus’ comment about lusting in one’s heart - So please consider that fact carefully.
I will simply add that what one thinks reflects what is in ones heart at that moment. So - whether it is expressed or not - the thought is either good, right and loving or it is not. If it is not good right and loving, we are in violation of Jesus commandment to love one anther as He has loved us.

What harm does it do it others if I think I am better than they are, if I think they are stupid (especially if they actually are). What if I am better than someone at something, what is so wrong in thinking that. And is there such thing as too much honesty? My sister said something a long the lines that just because something is true, does not mean it should be expressed.

What might be a better question is what harm does it do to YOU to think these things. Your questions strike me as coming from a young person who is struggling with pride, is perhaps too judgmental, and lacks proper humility.
If you are smart, others will know this without you telling them.
If others are not as smart as you - others will note this too. You need not make this known.
If you are better than someone at one thing, they might be better than you at another,

And by the way, I totally agree with your sister.

Is there such a thing as too much honesty? No - but there is such a thing as too much talking.

Peace
James

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.