Mortification Question

What kind of mortification can I do as a young person with a disabling physical illness? I’m not permitted to fast or do anything physical that might tire me out or compromise my health. I experience a lot of physical pain already. And due to this illness, I’ve already had to give up a lot of things I previously enjoyed doing, including foods I like, sports, outings, playing video games (I get migraines), etc… so my life is already pretty mortified just by default. And I’ve become resigned to not getting what I want and having to do things I hate. So I honestly can’t think of anything to do to mortify myself.

I do offer up my suffering, and if I’m doing all I can that’s fine, but I just listened to a homily on mortification and wondered if there’s something else I could be doing. Or am I doing enough just because of the way my life is? Where I currently live, I don’t have a priest to ask… so I’m not sure where to turn for advice or suggestions.

Well, I suppose you could, but be careful with these sort of things. Don’t let mortification just be an infliction of pain, but a demonstration of love. More pain and severity does not necessarily equal a greater sacrifice: it only is if the will is aligned towards love of God as opposed to hatred of self. Start small. You could, for example, give up meat on Fridays, or take a lukewarm shower every week. Instead of 30 minutes watching TV, read the Bible for 30 minutes or some spiritual reading. Instead of a candy bar, buy a homeless person lunch. Then you can build it up from there! And of course, another opportunity would be offering up the suffering your disability causes you up to God, if you’re not doing that already.

God bless you @Rebecca97 .

I’m sure you are doing enough in accepting the way things are for you .

You might add a prayer for miserable beggars like me who complain about the merest twinge .

Cold showers are great, if they’re an option for you. Such a simple thing, but incredibly effective. They feel great too, especially once you get used to the water.

Give up your cell phone or screens for a day?

Haha thanks! I can pray for you, for sure! :grinning:

Thanks! I might try that if I’m allowed to.

Great! Don’t let the initial shock dissuade you. :grinning:

Thanks, that’s a good idea! I actually never thought of doing that.

I’ll try not to! :grin:

You’re doing a lot already. All I can add is if possible at least once a day say a Rosary for others who suffer and don’t turn to God but away from Him. Also offer it all up for the mess in our Church and for the Church to get many more good holy devout Priests and Religious brothers and sisters, deacons. Offer it up for all Seminarians, they need it.

Thanks for this! Lately I have had this idea that I should start praying specifically for priests and religious, since I have the time and especially with the things going on in the news, etc… but I wasn’t sure that my prayers would count or matter. I’m super distracted whenever I pray, its a major issue for me. But you are literally the third person this week who has suggested it to me, so I think I will start, even if my mind is wandering at least I am trying I guess…

Thank you, that’s a really good point. I do already have a lot of physical pain, and I do try to offer it up most days, so I was sort of looking to do things that were more on a spiritual level.

OF course they count and they PLEASE God. While you’re praying ask God to show you how to pray better with less distraction.
BELIEVE me with your mortifications and your willingness to offer them up for Priests, Religious and Seminarians they will definitely be positive and they will definitely help.

I will try to see if I can copy and send you the Rosary for Priests that I use, if I am allowed.

Cool thanks, I want to say the rosary more and it would be awesome to get that version if you’re able to share it! Otherwise maybe I could google it.

It is in this manual:

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Manual_for_Eucharistic_Adoration?id=RyRFDAAAQBAJ

Thanks so much, I will have a look!

I bookmarked this and come back to read it from time to time. It’s inspiring that even though you already suffer that you want to offer more. I wish I could be as strong as you. God bless you @Rebecca97

O Lord, we ask for a boundless confidence and trust in Your divine mercy, and the courage to accept the crosses and sufferings which bring immense goodness to our souls and that of Your Church. Help us to love You with a pure and contrite heart, and to humble ourselves beneath Your cross, as we climb the mountain of holiness, carrying our cross that leads to heavenly glory. May we receive You with great faith and love in Holy Communion, and allow You to act in us, as You desire, for Your greater glory. O Jesus, most adorable heart and eternal fountain of Divine Love, may our prayer find favor before the Divine Majesty of Your Heavenly Father. Amen.
–St. Pio of Pietrelcina

I find the best mortification is to put up lovingly with small irritations, including things people do and say, the weather, the temperature, bodily aches, loneliness, bad memories that invade our thoughts–whatever small things happen throughout the day contrary to our will. Offer them to God with love and patience. This is essentially Therese of Lisieux’s Little Way.

I find doing small things helps me too. So for a long time I fasted from 3 pm to 4. It sounds like very little, but it was snack time at our house! And I learned from doing that.

Giving up irritation and “sighs” that accompany illness and disability would also be a big one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.