'Moscow gives us hope', says Syrian Catholic patriarch

’Moscow gives us hope’, says Syrian Catholic patriarch

28 January 2016 ANSA

• ROME - Syrian Catholic Church patriarch Ignatius Ephrem Joseph III Younan has said that he approves of Russia’s actions as an attempt to resolve the Syrian conflict and defeat the Islamic State (ISIS). ‘‘The Russian intervention gives us a bit of hope in this tragic situation,’’ he said. ‘‘Russia has helped Syria a great deal to retake and liberate cities and villages under the control of terrorist groups.’’ ‘‘Syrian Christians are grateful to Russia,’’ he said.

‘‘Since it intervened, many things have changed on the ground.’’ ‘‘We will thank anyone who helps us to remain in our country,’’ he added, expressing gratitude towards the Russian Orthodox Church for its words of support to local Christian communities, ‘‘which we have not received from other parts with the same determination’’…

One of the leaders of the opposition is Christian. The Syrian people have been brutalized by the regime.

When in Syria I saw that the people were forcibly keep under control by the army. On every corner of the city of Damascus, where I lived, was at least one army guard watching the people. Thirty years ago the then dictator, Hafez al-Assad, tried to kill all the Christians and Jews, but realized that they were the economic foundation of Syria and it was not in his best interest.

However even when I was there, the Christians were a second class race of people.
unitypublishing.com/godskingdom/GoodSamaritanSyria.htm

The Assad dynasty is also accused of killing the Christian President of Lebanon.

The day before Syrian peace talks are due to start in Geneva, Switzerland, the leader of a coalition of Syrian opposition groups tells CNN that Bashar al-Assad has no interest in reaching a political solution to the nearly 6-year-old civil war.

“I know Bashar al-Assad. I used to be his prime minister before I defected. And I know about his barbarism,” Riyad Hijab told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour in an exclusive interview Thursday. He spoke with Amanpour from Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia, whose government backs his group.
edition.cnn.com/2016/01/28/world/syria-amanpour-riyad-hijab/index.html

A lot of civilians have been killed by barrel bombs and Russian strikes.

Does the Patriarch also think it was a good thing when that town was under siege, experiencing famine and the regime side is on record laughing about it?

Regime supporters use social media to send starving Syrians pictures of food
newsok.com/article/5473432

:thumbsup: Someone ‘trustworthy’ at last, telling it as it is. Great to hear, as opposed to the MSM fables.

Cardinal Bechara Boutros Rai, the Lebanese Patriarch of the Maronite Catholic church also warned of an Islamic takeover of Syria if Assad was overthrown. So that’s two trustworthy spokespersons.

independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/a-cardinal-error-maronite-patriarch-of-antioch-to-meet-the-pope-in-israel-9432050.html

Trustworthy like the Brown Priests under the 3rd Reich?

Assad harboured Saddam Hussein’s brother until forced to give him up, Assad also was complained about during the Bush Administration for allowing the same Jihadi types he fights today to carry on attacks on troops in Iraq.

Also, good luck if one thinks Assad is going to stay in power in the long term, the Russians had to quell talk that they asked him to step aside.

Social media exposes moral bankruptcy of Assad and allies **

Echoing the catastrophic state of affairs of the Syrian people in Madaya (outskirts of Damascus), on January 6, a Syrian girl decided to write her will instead of writing a story about life and her future aspirations. She drew a picture of herself in a tomb and penned the following: ‘Please, my mother, keep remembering me. Remember my endless laughter. My sister, say to my friends that I died while I was hungry. My brother, please don’t be saddened because of my death.

Remember when you and I used to cry out because of hunger, Oh Angel of death take my soul so that I can eat in Paradise, as I am extremely hungry. Not to worry everyone I will eat for you in Paradise as much as I can’. (Translated from a report in Arabic by AlArabi TV)Early last week social media networks, as well satellite TV cameras, unveiled the terrible reality in Madaya and other besieged towns in Idlib province. Over 40 000 civilians have been reportedly besieged by the Hezbollah militia and the Syrian regime, with no food or medical supplies getting through for months. The only humanitarian support residents of the town received was back in October 2015.

middleeastmonitor.com/articles/middle-east/23448-social-media-exposes-moral-bankruptcy-of-assad-and-allies

Caught in the act of mocking those being starved to death.

Witnessing this is trustworthy as well.

MSM fables? So the Syrian Human Rights Observatory and other human rights organizations are the Evil Western Media?

We’ve been through this before and this seems like an unfair characterization.

Even Moscow Times has now reported those polled in Russia are afraid to answer polls honestly, so preemptively, I mention that since that is the next excuse, the ruler is popular.
themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russians-keep-lips-locked-in-opinion-polls-fearing-backlash/556530.html

George Sabra, Greek Orthodox, Christian representative of the opposition in Syria.

Trustworthy to me as well.

firstpost.com/politics/syrian-opposition-to-boycott-peace-talks-in-geneva-2603136.html

The warning from the Patriarch’s is that if you remove Assad, who has allowed the Christians to live in relative peace in their own country, you will have chaos. They are not condoning Assad. He may be evil, but greater evil will be unleashed and Christians will be obliterated.

You can obviously read but without understanding.

Syrian Christians Against Assad
americansyrians.com/syria/post/Syrian-Christians-against-Assad.aspx

I wouldn’t even be sure of a disconnect between Assad, Russia and ISIS actually, since ISIS has often been left alone in Syria.

A Christian is a leader of the opposition forces, it is not a choice of only Assad or ISIS; but this is what the regime line would be.

The good patriarch undoubtedly believes this, and it’s probably true for now and in some places. But one remembers how Ukrainians welcomed the Germans with bread and salt in WWII, thinking of them as liberators from the Stalin regime, only to learn to their sorrow later that their hope had been misplaced.

Lots of those kinds of things in the history books.

I love how Americans who don’t live in the country always know better than Catholic and Orthodox clerics who do :smiley:

You like WESTERN Ukrainians, who are reliably associated with anti-Soviet causes. BTW, more Ukrainians fought in the Red Army than against the Nazis, as opposed to those who are in the Ukrainian nationalist insurgency.

Here are compelling statistics cited in the above-mentioned text: there were seven million (!) Ukrainians who fought in the Soviet Army and only 100,000 who fought in the OUN. That says it all about the contribution of each part of Ukraine to victory in WWII.

counterpunch.org/2015/05/04/whose-victory-will-ukrainians-celebrate-on-may-9/

So how many of those who welcomed the Nazis in open arms were not militant Ukrainian nationalists? Also, how many of those who welcomed the Nazis participated in the massacres of Babi Yar?

So could you tell me how many Crimeans dislike the Russian annexation of Crimea, if Putin so bad? The people live in the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics like their autonomy from the Kiev Junta (since people make references to the Assad regime). They welcome their liberation from the fascist jackboot of the Euromaidan and do not now regret it.

Most Syrians support Assad, deal with it. The “moderate opposition” is just a small minority. Syrians are likely to welcome Russia over the US.

I guess, since the good Patriarch is not a human rights organization, and is not around recording violations of human rights as the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights does, I guess that means, I will find that human rights organization and others to be reliable.

The have recorded on the wrongs of ISIS, Al Qaeda, the regime, coalition forces and so on.

Where most of the sources are, are the human rights monitoring organizations, not “Mainstream Media”, I will rely on the human rights organizations that have no or little bias.

Oh, most Syrians do not support Assad.
diary.thesyriacampaign.org/what-refugees-think/

Counterpunch is just a website with poor backing of details, let’s see the sources they cite.

Also, as for the statement, Kiev Junta, please allow us to see pictures of the troops which deposed the former president of Ukraine. Oh, I’ve got it, there are none.

This is how we picture Juntas, troops go in and remove the President from power. If one makes a claim, may we see such evidence?

The Patriarchs are Catholic bishops, men of God. The world would be a better place to heed men of God, not some self appointed secular zealots with an agenda. Propaganda abounds in the Syrian conflict. To pluck out Assad and leave a void for the devil to fill is not what the Patriarch’s consider wise. The US and allies have the right idea but their implementation is wrong and will cost the lives of many people needlessly. Instead of truly being humanitarian the US has only aided chaos, why millions have and are fleeing. I will stand with the annointed men of God. It is what I see Putin doing, even if he has an ulterior motive.

That is some sort of description of Human Rights Organizations or whomever, it is not clear? What is this evidence based on that one is calling them Zealots? Who is a Zealot by name please?

Back in the 1980s, obviously the El Salvador conflict that took the life of Archbishop Romero was seen differently by different persons.

globalresearch.ca/the-syrian-observatory-for-human-rights-is-a-propaganda-front-funded-by-the-eu-its-objective-is-to-justify-pro-democracy-terrorism/5331072

*The NYT admits fraudulent Syrian human rights group is UK-based “one-man band” funded by EU and one other “European country.”
In reality, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has long ago been exposed as an absurd propaganda front operated by Rami Abdul Rahman out of his house in England’s countryside. According to a December 2011 Reuters article titled, “Coventry – an unlikely home to prominent Syria activist,” Abdul Rahman admits he is a member of the so-called “Syrian opposition” and seeks the ouster of Syrian President Bashar Al Assad:
After three short spells in prison in Syria for pro-democracy activism, Abdulrahman came to Britain in 2000 fearing a longer, fourth jail term.

“I came to Britain the day Hafez al-Assad died, and I’ll return when Bashar al-Assad goes,” Abdulrahman said, referring to Bashar’s father and predecessor Hafez, also an autocrat.

One could not fathom a more unreliable, compromised, biased source of information, yet for the past two years, his “Observatory” has served as the sole source of information for the endless torrent of propaganda emanating from the Western media. Perhaps worst of all, is that the United Nations uses this compromised, absurdly overt source of propaganda as the basis for its various reports – at least, that is what the New York Times now claims in *their recent article, “A Very Busy Man Behind the Syrian Civil War’s Casualty Count.”

It appears the only ones being critical of the Syrian Human Rights Observatory is Global Reasearch and this website called “Land Destroyer”. These are offbeat obscure websites. Global Research are the ones who assert “fraudulently” NOT the NY Times or Reuters. I’ll bet some very interesting articles can be found if one is using websites like Land Destroyer and Global Research as sources and this will be where this conversation goes if one alleges these are credible.

I find nothing negative in the NY Times or Reuters articles.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is who is quoted in story after story, according to the SOHR, ISIS has hacked them 2 times, I have seen its website go down.

If the biggest criticism per the NY Times article is that one man is running it, that’s not a strong criticism, it also acknowledges he gets his info from overseas.

Abdulrahman, a Sunni Muslim, is acutely sensitive that his reports are seen as free from bias, given accusations against him of sectarianism, of being in the pay of foreign agents or of being swayed or infiltrated by Assad’s security services.

Sunnis are the majority in Syria, but the country has long been dominated by Assad’s Alawite minority sect.

“I have Alawites phoning and complaining, Sunnis phoning and complaining. I’m between two fires. But it shows I’m being neutral if both sides complain,” he said, insisting he accepts no funding and runs the observatory on a voluntary basis.
nytimes.com/2013/04/10/world/middleeast/the-man-behind-the-casualty-figures-in-syria.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Most foreign media have been banned from reporting in Syria.
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-syria-idUKTRE7B71XG20111208

So, we should just go with State Media? Well, it’s not MSM I guess.

Maybe one wants to retract saying MSM fables were used earlier?

Global Research:

Headline: “North Korea, a Land of Human Achievement, Love and Joy”
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Globalresearch

While many of Globalresearch’s articles discuss legitimate humanitarian or environmental concerns, the site has a strong undercurrent of reality warping throughout its pages. Its view of science, the economy and geopolitics seems to be broadly conspiracist. It’s no surprise then that the site has long become a magnet for radicals, fringe figures and whacko elements from the left in general.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.