Moses burial is not specified in the Bible. Was he buried on Mount Nebo?

I see his grave is in Nabi Musa.

Yet the archangel Michael, when he argued with the devil in a dispute over the body of Moses, did not venture to pronounce a reviling judgment upon him but said, “May the Lord rebuke you!”
Jude 1:9

I love this verse, and I’ve always figured I should not worry about the body of Moses.

1 Like

Moses burial was specified in the Scriptures
Deuteronomy 34:6 and he buried him in the valley in the land of Moab opposite Beth-pe’or; but no man knows the place of his burial to this day.

I would say in the vicinity of Mount Nebo, but the exact location is unknown.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Nabi Musa site is more of a Muslim site and not really acknowledged by Jews or Christians.

I do not know about Jews but in the fourth-century a shrine was built by Christians in honour of Moses at Siyagha, one of the two peaks of Mount Nebo.

We don’t know where his grave was, and the Bible doesn’t say.
According to one commentator, the place of his grave was made unknown so that the Jews when they fell at times into pagan practices would not give worship there.

I was on a Catholic pilgrimage that went to Mount Nebo. There was no claim that Moses was buried there. They would have said if there was one current.

I didn’t say that Moses was buried there. I said that early Christians built a shrine there in his honor. The exact place of his burial is of course unknown.

The historian Josephus relates he was speaking and taking leave of his fellow servants Joshua and Eleazar; a cloud appeared over him, and he disappeared in valley. Antiquities of the Jews Book 4: Chapter 8.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.