Moslems are Cool!!!

Ok please don’t shoot me

for my business class the profs made us go on a camping trip at a camp with cabins.

On the busride overthere I met a girl who is also going to college at my school she is from Niger and is a moslem immigrant.

She is a city girl and had never seen a lake before…it was kind of neat for both of us since I am a country girl and living near a city has been very different for me.

She had to pray to Allah five times a day. So while she prayed to Allah I went back to the cabin with her (buddy system) prayed the rosary up in my top bunk. It was the most relaxing thing in the world to take a break out of the day and pray. Its such a beautiful devotion.

She is not a strict Moslem and only wears her head scarf to pray…but she dosn’t eat pork so I gave up my bacon for breakfast so she wouldn’t feel left out. Why do Christians eat pork meat anyway? the Jews and Moslems don’t

[quote=Meggie]Ok please don’t shoot me

for my business class the profs made us go on a camping trip at a camp with cabins.

On the busride overthere I met a girl who is also going to college at my school she is from Niger and is a moslem immigrant.

She is a city girl and had never seen a lake before…it was kind of neat for both of us since I am a country girl and living near a city has been very different for me.

She had to pray to Allah five times a day. So while she prayed to Allah I went back to the cabin with her (buddy system) prayed the rosary up in my top bunk. It was the most relaxing thing in the world to take a break out of the day and pray. Its such a beautiful devotion.

She is not a strict Moslem and only wears her head scarf to pray…but she dosn’t eat pork so I gave up my bacon for breakfast so she wouldn’t feel left out. Why do Christians eat pork meat anyway? the Jews and Moslems don’t
[/quote]

We can eat pork because at the council of Jerusalem in Acts 15 the apostles removed that restriction on everyone. Peter says we do not need to be circumsized then James went over the other restrictions.

[quote=Meggie]Why do Christians eat pork meat anyway? the Jews and Moslems don’t
[/quote]

In the OT, I forget which book (it’s the one with all the Jewish rules), they were told to not eat pork. Almost all the rules appear to only be for health reasons. Fish and beef can be eaten nearly raw without getting sick when it is prepared. Not so for pork.

It’s great you had a good time at camp. They are not all evil, just the evil ones. :wink:

as you have learned, getting to know about other faiths happens by getting to know individuals who practice that faith, she is learning about Catholics from you and your example–quite an honor, and quite a challenge.

[quote=Meggie]Ok please don’t shoot me

[/quote]

I think it was good for you to have had this experience and it is probably worth your while to learn more about other faiths. Learning about other faiths can be a good way to strengthen your own faith. But I would caution you not to be so easily persuaded that “Moslems are Cool!!!” merely because you met an interesting Muslim. By the way, “Moslem” is not correct. You mean that she is a “Muslim”.

According to statistics for 2003 the Muslims are growing alot faster than the Catholics. Once they become Muslims they are forced (not gently) to remain Muslims. That is not cool.

Mid 2003 world statistics

Catholics 1,092,853,000

Muslims 1,254,222,000

When the stats come out for 2004 it is predicted that there will be an even larger spreead. There will also be more radical Muslims willing to destroy Catholics, other Christians and Jews.

Not cool !!!

ally that is not at all appropriate…

…the traditions that Muslims (Sry about the misspelling I did not know) have are amazing. I mean its so much more rich in Faith to stop what you are doing and give homage to God…
…Catholics don’t do that…I mean we have Daily Mass and all but everything is so optinol and so filled with contraversy.
…I am not suprized more people a becoming Muslims. Compared to Muslims the Catholic church seems wusy…I mean what do WE do for God? The Catholic church demands so little of us compared to what a good Moslim does its ridiculous…
…Anyway the Gates of Hell will not prevail, do not make this into an argument about Muslims…there practices are cool. They really put God over self.

Do you thyink that the beheading of the two Americans in Iraq was cool? Did you think 9-11 was cool?

Of course that is a mass generalisation! Not all Muslims are terrorists, and im sure you would feel offended by what i just said if i tried to insinuate that all Muslims are evil.

However, to say Muslims are cool is also a generalisation. I have many Muslim friends, and i respect some of their practises, and you are correct, the dedication of some is staggering.

However there is a very sinister side to Islam that it is not politically correct to talk about post 9-11. Honour killings for instance, there have been a few cases in Britain where parents kill their daughters if they are going out with someone who is not a Muslim. Is that cool?

Also the Catholic church believes the best homage to God is shown with how you live your life. Do you help the needy, are you a good person? Im sure God would rather see you feed the hungry, than tell him how great he is five times a day. There needs to be a balance you see.

And what about the great traditions Catholicism has, look at the art, the stories, the aid workers in third world countries. Catholicism has helped shape Western culture, a culture which is a lot more open to other cultures than Islam.

Try reading the Quran, then tell me it is a lovely religion. I read excerpts from it, thinking i would see a lovely religion. All i saw was quotes about the best way to slice an infidel.

Of course, most Muslims are wonderful, but be wary of being eaten up by them, because there is an undercurrent of violence, hypocrisy and forced obedience, as well as vast inequality and intolerance in their religion.

Sheesh! -

Lighten up people! All this poster wanted to do is share a positive experience she had with a Muslim girl (and acted admirably by not offending her in deed, and praying as well), and because of the title of her thread, people are going bonkers.

Nothing is cool about extreme Islam. However, there ARE adherants to this religion who do NOT feel the need to blow people up or cut off heads.

St. Francis also admired the Muslim tradition of praying five times a day and was able to deal peacefully with these people, why can’t we? - Mfaustina1

[quote=La Chiara]I think it was good for you to have had this experience and it is probably worth your while to learn more about other faiths. Learning about other faiths can be a good way to strengthen your own faith. But I would caution you not to be so easily persuaded that “Moslems are Cool!!!” merely because you met an interesting Muslim. By the way, “Moslem” is not correct. You mean that she is a “Muslim”.
[/quote]

Actually, either one is correct. I lived in an Islamic country and have seen it written both ways.

From dictionary.com:

moslem

\Mos"lem, n.; pl. Moslems, or collectively Moslem. [Ar. muslim a true believer in the Mohammedan faith, fr. salama to submit to God, to resign one’s self to the divine will. Cf. Islam, Mussulman.] A Mussulman; an orthodox Mohammedan. [Written also muslim.] ``Heaps of slaughtered Moslem.’’ --Macaulay.

Meggie- I’m glad you met someone who was kind and who happened to be a Moslem. The majority of Moslems are very kind, caring people. However, remember to study your faith, because Catholicsm is not by any means an easy religion. If you would like to pray to God five times a day, you can.

Just some thoughts

Hi,
we have to be very careful here. Remember love the person, hate the sin. The lady who camped with the muslim lady was an excellent witness for Jesus, congratulations. Their faith is evil. It takes people away from Jesus. It is killing people. Do not be angry with these people. love them and pray for them. Some are truly led by evil spirits. Was Paul doing Jesus’s work before Christ “spotted” him. And look to ourselves, we are sinners too, so mercy and forgiveness is paramount. Do not take joy in their suffering. I learnt this lesson from the Holy Spirit. I enjoyed seeing the Taliban being kicked out of Afghanistan, but my joy was cut off by the Holy Spirit. God loves all mankind, He made us and He takes no pleasure in anyones death who dies in sin. His plan is to save all but if they die in sin they are lost. He does not want that. Love moves God. God didn’t send the USA to kill the Taliban, He sent the USA to free the people, and He also knew it would mean the deaths of many people, but He does not want us taking joy in death. But for the evil spirits in their lives, there go you and I. Our job is to bring people to Christ, and Christ is the Church, not this brand or that brand, our belief is in Jesus, not in an earthly committee. God destroyed the temple in Jerusalem because it is no longer needed. He has made a new temple, our bodies, and as He dwelt in the temple in Jerusalem so He dwells in the new temple. Roman Catholics have far easier access to Christ than they do to the pope. And all believers have this same access to Christ. Come Lord Jesus come.
Christ be with you
Walk in love
edwinG

[quote=La Chiara]By the way, “Moslem” is not correct. You mean that she is a “Muslim”.
[/quote]

Chiming in as an Arabic major in college…

Standard Literary Arabic has only six vowels: a/i/u and their long counterparts ā/ī/ū (and the two diphthongs ai/au by combination with the two semivowels). Therefore a form like “Moslem” cannot exist in Standard Literary Arabic, and “Muslim” is correct. However, spoken Arabic does have e/o/ē/ō in addition to the other vowels. SLA i/u often become e/o in spoken Arabic (and the two diphthongs are always monophthongised into ē/ō there), so the spelling “Moslem” can reflect the sound of the word in Arabic speech. Myself, I use “Muslim” all the time, since SLA is the official, uniform Arabic language of the whole Arab world and is the one with the most writing history (from the 5th century CE, whereas spoken Arabic was committed to writing only in the 19th century).

Oh … and the S in Muslim is pronounced unvoiced, as in English sit. S and Z in Arabic are always distinct, and never influenced by neighbouring phonemes (so the L in Muslim does not cause the S to become voiced).

Meggie,

One thing that I have always found interesting in the reference to Islam is that it teaches the faithful should pray five times a day and even has someone “calling” them to prayer at the larger mosques.

Catholics use the Liturgy of the Hours to help us pray througout the day. You can find out more about this through the CCC 1174-1178. Praying the Angelus at noon or the Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:00 pm are also excellent ways you can infuse daily prayer in your life at appointed times. Use your exposure to another’s faith as a challenge to strengthen your own. Christianity is older than Islam and infinitely more profound in its theology. Try to study your own faith and really know it–you’ll find it’s pretty cool too!

They can be cool…so long as you don’t dare disagree with them or happen to be a Christian living in their countries. As long as they are a minority they are careful.

Ask your Muslim friend if their Koran doesn’t say that Jesus Christ is the Messiah. It does. So why do they persist in the Muslim faith?

[quote=Exporter]Ask your Muslim friend if their Koran doesn’t say that Jesus Christ is the Messiah. It does. So why do they persist in the Muslim faith?
[/quote]

Why? Becuase they have their own definition of what the word Messiah means that is different from what we believe it means.

This is one of the problems with dialogue between different belief systems. They often use the same words but with different meanings.

All Muslims should be deported. We have so many now in our country and many of them are connected with terrorists cells as well. Someday one of these terrorists will set off a nuclear device in one of our cities. Why are we allowing MORE of these people into are country? Also muslims are permitted to practice their false religion on college campuses, while Christians are not. If we don’t do something soon, we will be at their mercy. God help us all.

half of you guys DISGUST me your hate for a religion is terrible…
… My friend, 20, who grew up fairly welthy in a large city in Niger, which is in Africa who speakes French and is learning English who feels like getting her green card will be the best presant ever, who’s parents are teaching at my Catholic University, and whose’ sibilings attend local schools is NOT going to blow up any buildings. She sould NOT get deported either and I am NOT going to argue with her about her beliefs. Atleast she follows them, much less can be said for some of the Catholic/christian girls on my dorm floor who dress immodestly, swear, curse, drink, have pre-marital sex, get involved with the occult for entertainment…
…I’d rather deport all of them.

Not all Catholics are devout, that is true, but they certainly are not devoted to Allah either. The difficulty with the continuance of allowing muslim arabs to keep flowing into this country, is you have no way of knowing that some of them will be the ones that blow up the very city you reside in, killing THOUSANDS. The only way to prevent this is to close the doors of immigration to all incoming arabs period. I know this sounds harsh, but we are living in very explosive time and our enemy could very well be living right in our own neighborhood.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.