Mosque issues fatwa on Christmas

THE Lakemba Mosque has issued a fatwa against Christmas, warning followers it is a ‘‘sin’’ to even wish people a Merry Christmas.

The religious ruling, which followed a similar lecture during Friday prayers at Australia’s biggest mosque, was posted on its Facebook site on Saturday morning.

The head imam at Lakemba, Sheikh Yahya Safi, had told the congregation during prayers that they should not take part in anything to do with Christmas.

Samir Dandan, the president of the Lebanese Muslim Association, which oversees the mosque, could not be reached for comment on Saturday.
Advertisement

The fatwa, which has sparked widespread community debate and condemnation, warns that the “disbelievers are trying to draw Muslims away from the straight path”.

Read more: smh.com.au/nsw/no-merriness-here-mosque-puts-fatwa-on-christmas-20121222-2bsk2.html#ixzz2FouPushU

Unbelievable!

[quote="dolphinlove, post:1, topic:309146"]
THE Lakemba Mosque has issued a fatwa against Christmas, warning followers it is a ''sin'' to even wish people a Merry Christmas.

The religious ruling, which followed a similar lecture during Friday prayers at Australia's biggest mosque, was posted on its Facebook site on Saturday morning.

The head imam at Lakemba, Sheikh Yahya Safi, had told the congregation during prayers that they should not take part in anything to do with Christmas.

Samir Dandan, the president of the Lebanese Muslim Association, which oversees the mosque, could not be reached for comment on Saturday.
Advertisement

The fatwa, which has sparked widespread community debate and condemnation, warns that the "disbelievers are trying to draw Muslims away from the straight path".

Read more: smh.com.au/nsw/no-merriness-here-mosque-puts-fatwa-on-christmas-20121222-2bsk2.html#ixzz2FouPushU

Unbelievable!

[/quote]

Sounds like more eggnog to go around in Austrailia. I don't think most Muslims around here celebrate Christmas either. I did have a Muslim dad drop off his daughter for Christmas caroling at my school one year, which I thought was strange. But then again, maybe he didn't see any harm in it. She had a blast though.

THE Lakemba Mosque has issued a fatwa against Christmas, warning followers it is a ''sin'' to even wish people a Merry Christmas.

The religious ruling, which followed a similar lecture during Friday prayers at Australia's biggest mosque, was posted on its Facebook site on Saturday morning.

Advertisement

The fatwa, which has sparked widespread community debate and condemnation, warns that the "disbelievers are trying to draw Muslims away from the straight path".

Unbelievable!

[/quote]

Why unbelievable?

No problem, some will do anything for the false prophet.

Jon

Advertisement

Unbelievable!

[/quote]

These are the saddest most depressing people I ever heard of. I don't see how a Muslim could possibly have any joy in their lives. Regular kill joys. :thumbsup:

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:4, topic:309146"]
These are the saddest most depressing people I ever heard of. I don't see how a Muslim could possibly have any joy in their lives. Regular kill joys. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

We should have the 'like' status on CF like we do on facebook, might send an idea to the admin :)

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:4, topic:309146"]

[/quote]

No kidding. I wonder if they could be considered to be already in Hell?

You DO realize, don’t you, that this was one guy at one mosque? You really can’t generalize to ALL Muslims from him.

I don't see why this is an issue. Christmas is a christian holiday. I wouldn't expect Muslims to celebrate it in. Just as I don't expect Buddhists, atheists, Jews, Hindus etc. to celebrate it.

It is no different than if a Priest said "We don't celebrate Eid". Would you be horrified by that?

In the West, there's political correctness attacking Christmas to the point of sheer recklessness. Now this? How pathetic.

You dont see this as an issue? Muslims keep saying they are ‘tolerant’ of other religions, but this just shows its a blatant lie! If the Catholic church all of a sudden announced lets have a fatwa against eid, watch everyone, including the media go wild!

[quote="dolphinlove, post:10, topic:309146"]
You dont see this as an issue? Muslims keep saying they are 'tolerant' of other religions, but this just shows its a blatant lie! If the Catholic church all of a sudden announced lets have a fatwa against eid, watch everyone, including the media go wild!

[/quote]

I agree that the double standard in this country is out of control. Newspapers don't dare publish a cartoon image of the Prophet ( not that I agree with making fun of religious leaders, I do not!), while we in America have to allow public displays of such things as a crucifix covered in urine...

[quote="dolphinlove, post:10, topic:309146"]
You dont see this as an issue? Muslims keep saying they are 'tolerant' of other religions, but this just shows its a blatant lie! If the Catholic church all of a sudden announced lets have a fatwa against eid, watch everyone, including the media go wild!

[/quote]

The fatwa wasn't against Christians celebrating Christmas. It was about Muslims celebrating christmas. I actually think it is rather sad that they even need to be told to hold to their own religion and not celebrate the holidays of another religion.

I think Christmas is too secularised. Part of that is that it is now acceptable for non--Christians do celebrate it. Let them celebrate their holidays, and we'll celebrate ours.

We don't have the same structure of issuing fatwas, but if the Australian Catholic Bishops came out and said "Catholics don't celebrate Eid", no I don't think it would be all over the media at all. Most people don't know what Eid is, and I've yet to meet a Muslims who is trying to get non-Muslims to celebrate it.

Theres a nice muslim guy at my work whose been saying Merry christmas to customers, maybe to be polite and in the Christmas season its expected but it seems not all Muslims think like this. Though I think the muslims against saying Merry Christmas are more justified.

Merry Christmas! :wink:

I can tell you that they get quite cranky during Ramadan. They are not even allowed to drink water from sunrise to sunset for the entire month.

No, it shows that the Imam and Mosque in question don’t want to be tolerant (if in fact the fatwa was against Christmas and not something else as another poster has explained). This Imam and Mosque no more represent Muslims as a whole than that guy in Florida who burned copies of the Quran or the WBC represent Christianity as a whole.

Frankly the Church issuing a fatwa against eid would be a whole lot different because the Church is the central authority for Roman Catholics. Big difference.

If you want true crankiness hang around some Catholics who give smoking up for lent. Not pretty.

[quote="oldcatholicguy, post:17, topic:309146"]
If you want true crankiness hang around some Catholics who give smoking up for lent. Not pretty.

[/quote]

Rich folks used to eat whale meat during lent, thinking that whales were fish. Lent ain't what it used to be.

[quote="oldcatholicguy, post:16, topic:309146"]
No, it shows that the Imam and Mosque in question don't want to be tolerant (if in fact the fatwa was against Christmas and not something else as another poster has explained). This Imam and Mosque no more represent Muslims as a whole than that guy in Florida who burned copies of the Quran or the WBC represent Christianity as a whole.

Frankly the Church issuing a fatwa against eid would be a whole lot different because the Church is the central authority for Roman Catholics. Big difference.

[/quote]

Very different chain of command. Any imam may issue a fatwa. Some imams are much more respected than others. Sometimes they close ranks on important issues, or a dialogue goes on. I remember the discussion on whether it was appropriate for females to be suicide bombers.

[quote="epan, post:15, topic:309146"]
I can tell you that they get quite cranky during Ramadan. They are not even allowed to drink water from sunrise to sunset for the entire month.

[/quote]

Some do, some don't.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.