Most Americans Prefer 'Merry Christmas' To 'Happy Holidays'

Obama, are you listening? Considering Obama thinks we are no longer a Christian nation (or just a Christian nation as some will point out) and also managed to be the first President to omit mentioning God in his Thanksgiving address, that seems like a relevant question. It is also likely a question that would be completely ignored if it were actually asked, since this administration does not seem able to listen much at all. Radical change appears to be the most important agenda item to this administration, and actually serving the people or even taking the will of the people into consideration appears to be not important to them at all.

"Most Americans Prefer ‘Merry Christmas’ To ‘Happy Holidays’

Amidst all the holiday shopping craziness, most Americans at this time of year want to see holiday signs that wish them a “Merry Christmas.” …

Entire article here: rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/holidays/november_2009/most_americans_prefer_merry_christmas_to_happy_holidays

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:1, topic:177874"]
Obama, are you listening? Considering Obama thinks we are no longer a Christian nation (or just a Christian nation as some will point out) and also managed to be the first President to omit mentioning God in his Thanksgiving address, that seems like a relevant question. It is also likely a question that would be completely ignored if it were actually asked, since this administration does not seem able to listen much at all. Radical change appears to be the most important agenda item to this administration, and actually serving the people or even taking the will of the people into consideration appears to be not important to them at all.

"Most Americans Prefer 'Merry Christmas' To 'Happy Holidays'

Amidst all the holiday shopping craziness, most Americans at this time of year want to see holiday signs that wish them a "Merry Christmas." ...

Entire article here: rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/holidays/november_2009/most_americans_prefer_merry_christmas_to_happy_holidays

[/quote]

I heard something about the Christmas tree at the Whitehouse as well, that Obama has said it isn't going to be a Christmas tree but a holiday tree or something?

I don’t think the White House has done away with the Christmas tree yet (it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened since a Christmas tree isn’t “politically correct” or neutral), though something is circulating on the internet to that effect. Here are a few links to items on the subject:

"White House Receives Christmas Tree

First lady Michelle Obama, along with daughters Malia and Sasha, received the official White House Christmas tree on Friday: an 18 1/2-foot Douglas fir delivered from a farm in Shepherdstown, W.Va., by traditional horse-drawn carriage."…

Entire article here: foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/27/white-house-receives-christmas-tree/

“Holiday Tree” Hooey
October 14, 2009

Q: Are the Obamas doing away with the White House “Christmas” tree and banning ornaments with religious themes?

A: The traditional Christmas Tree will remain, and an e-mail claim about ornaments is unsubstantiated."

factcheck.org/2009/10/holiday-tree-hooey/

I don't know why he should have achristmas tree at his house. It is his place of residence. Its where he lives. Would you expect say a another muslim to put a christmas tree at the front of their house?

When I am greeted in a store of place of business with “Merry Xmas”…I respond “Happy Holidays”. If I’m in a Christian setting I will respond back with “Merry Xmas”…but if I’m in a secular setting…it’s “Happy Holidays”.

There is no “war on Xmas” except in the minds of many who wish their Christianity pushed upon others.

[quote="Publisher, post:5, topic:177874"]
When I am greeted in a store of place of business with "Merry Xmas"...I respond "Happy Holidays".

[/quote]

Why?

Marry Christmas to all of you on this forum. I believe in Christmas so there for I say Marry Christmas. If that offends I am sorry you got offended but to say Happy Hollidays offends me so Marry Christmas and to all a good night.:D

At least the secularists aren’t going as far as switching to “Happy Humbug!”

DaveBj

[quote="s4angel, post:7, topic:177874"]
I say Marry Christmas.

[/quote]

Wow, days, but not members of the same sex? I guess I understand Catholic views on marriage even less now...

(and April Fools day is more my type...)

I have no wish to further the “sectarianism” that Xmas seems to engender these days. We live in a pluralistic society…as a Friend, I believe the Light of God indwells all people and strives with all people to bring them into the Light…this Light Within is a universal quality all of us share. While I beleive Christianity is the fullest expression of the Light, I do not deny that The God Who Is There is revealed in every faith tradition…no matter how imperfectly…I may consider myself a Christian and have no qualms of “Merry Xmas”…but “Happy Holidays” is more encompassing.

Christmas must occur daily as Christ is born anew in our hearts…as we become the incarnation of the Light of Christ in our world…setting aside one day a year…or a tiny march of weeks to honor the “new born King” is lacking, IMO.

C'mon, guys, let's not fret. Tell you what: let's all gather around and sing some of Obama's favorite carols, whattaya say?

“Obama Tree, Obama Tree”
"Grandma Got Run Over By Our Healthcare"
"We Thirty Czars All Communists Are”
“Walkin’ in a Marxist Wonderland”
“Baracking Around The Christmas Tree"
"Allah want for Christmas is a Money Tree"
"Oh, Come All Ye Sheeple"
"Do You Fear What I Fear?"
"I'll be Broke for Christmas"
"Hark the Herald Angels Sing About Me"
“Bow to the World”

Join in! :)

Grow up. How about if everywhere you went you got wished a "happy Chaunakah"? I'd get annoyed eventually. What would you say- "thanks"? "Happy holidays" just covers the spectrum easily. I get so tired of this ignorant, reactionist hoopla every year. :rolleyes:

[quote="trophybearer, post:12, topic:177874"]
Grow up. How about if everywhere you went you got wished a "happy Chaunakah"? I'd get annoyed eventually.

[/quote]

Oh, I would too. How dare those Jews celebrate holidays of their own! :rolleyes:

The only ignorant reactionism going on is coming from militant secularists who claim to be so tolerant and open-minded while going out of their way to condemn any casual public mention of Christmas. If they were sooo worried about offending people, they might stop to think for one moment that some people don't celebrate any holidays at all.. so is saying "happy holidays" to those people offending THEM? Wouldn't it be a lot more enlightened and progressive (by their own supposed standard) to just avoid the subject altogether? It doesn't matter to the militant secularist, because that was never their concern to begin with. All the phony concerns about "offending people" were really just a smokescreen to silence any mention of Christmas anyway, so as long as that gets accomplished they really don't care what anyone else thinks.

Just more things the secular world is trying to shove down our throats

I notice they always say after Christmas sales, not after holiday sales

I dont see why the secular world has any problems with Christmas

they have reduced it down to Santa, and his arrival

in the secular sense, Christmas is a huge money making time, and a time to celebrate Santa Claus

This is a silly debate. So many people are not Christians or for some reason are not celebrating Christmas. Happy Holidays is appropriate, unless you know someone is Christian or you are in a Christian setting. I worked at a supermarket and I said Happy Holidays because what would be the point of saying “Merry Christmas!” and have someone respond “I’m Jewish.” Or whatever. It’s silly and makes things awkward. I have no desire to be that presumptive. The vast majority of Americans celebrate Christmas in some form, but at least where I live we have a huge Jewish population and a relatively significant Indian population. It’s not about being PC, it’s about being realistic.

[quote="redrosetea, post:14, topic:177874"]
I notice they always say after Christmas sales, not after holiday sales

[/quote]

They all know deep down that if it weren't for Christmas, there wouldn't be anything else to even consider such a big national holiday this time of year. Christmas is THE entire reason people started on this limp-wristed "Happy Holidays" nonsense to begin with, and even though everybody knows this certain people think that you can get rid of the 8,000-pound elephant in the room if they just refer to it in a different way. It's just as laughable as the whole movement to change "B.C." and "A.D." into "BCE" and "CE" to measure history.

[quote="exoflare, post:17, topic:177874"]
They all know deep down that if it weren't for Christmas, there wouldn't be anything else to even consider such a big national holiday this time of year. Christmas is THE entire reason people started on this limp-wristed "Happy Holidays" nonsense to begin with, and even though everybody knows this certain people think that you can get rid of the 8,000-pound elephant in the room if they just refer to it in a different way. It's just as laughable as the whole movement to change "B.C." and "A.D." into "BCE" and "CE" to measure history.

[/quote]

That'll show them! "I don't care if you celebrate it or not you'll have a Merry Christmas if I have anything to say about it!" Yeah, let's turn a greeting into a passive-agressive attempt at asserting the superiority of our faith, because we know deep down, they wish they were celebrating Christmas. :rolleyes: Nothing says "true meaning of Christmas" like the sick, rampant consumerism one encounters walking through the doors of that store. "Merry Christmas- please spend hundreds of dollars on things we've convinced you can buy your childrens' love!"

Great, now do you have a reply that addresses the topic and ISN’T a raw mess of blind, heated emotion? If not, then save it for your therapist…

[quote="exoflare, post:19, topic:177874"]
Great, now do you have a reply that addresses the topic and ISN'T a raw mess of blind, heated emotion? If not, then save it for your therapist...

[/quote]

Call it what you want. I didn't feel the slightest bit heated when I wrote it; just far past annoyed by this kind of nonsense from FOX News enthusiasts. "The atheists are coming to take away Christmas from WalMart!" However will you know what holiday to enjoy if people in stores don't specificy?? :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.