Most Canadians support international access to safe abortions: poll

theglobeandmail.com/news/national/most-canadians-support-international-access-to-safe-abortions-poll/article1611003/

In the poll by Nanos Research 67.7 per cent of respondents said women in countries receiving Canadian aid should have the same access to safe abortion as Canadian women.

Support for abortion access crossed geographic and party lines: majorities in all regions, age groups, genders and political affiliations supported the right of Canadian women to have an abortion.

The majority of Canadians have both feet firmly implanted in the culture of death for some time now.

The Hutus had the majority "opinion" over the Tutsis in Rwanda too. I wonder, if abortions produced those same rivers of blood throughout the world for all to see, whether our friends to the North would be as supportive.

Tim

There's a letter campaign happening right now to de-fund abortion in Alberta. And they call us the barbarians out here in the west.

[quote="curlycool89, post:4, topic:202624"]
There's a letter campaign happening right now to de-fund abortion in Alberta. And they call us the barbarians out here in the west.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Theres no such thing as a safe abortion. With very few exceptions, it results in the*** physical death*** of one person! Spiritual death is another matter.
Even the (unintended) survivors aren
t necessarily unscathed: just ask Gianna Jessen.

I've never been able to figure out why news organizations think a poll is news. I understand that the Globe thinks this particular poll supports their pro-death position, but so what? It's not news. But I guess our papers stopped being about news a long time ago, and started to focus on shaping "correct" opinions.
The majority of Canadians are somewhere in the middle on the abortion debate. They don't like having no laws at all, but they feel uncomfortable about banning the practice completely.

The ironic thing is that most of the African countries that would be receiving the aid don't even allow abortion, so what's the motive behind this push for overseas abortions? To force those countries to change their laws? Seems pretty high handed of western countries to do that.

[quote="PadraigPearce, post:7, topic:202624"]
I've never been able to figure out why news organizations think a poll is news.

[/quote]

I don't know, but in the last couple years especially polls have become more and more prominent in everything. Maybe people feel that it's like direct democracy or something? The problem comes when everyone, including politicians feel the need to conform themselves to every little poll result. The problem is that pollsters can be very bias with the questions they ask, the ordering and tone of the question, and even the ordering or multiple questions. It's fairly easy to manipulate a poll to get the result you want.

[quote="curlycool89, post:8, topic:202624"]
I don't know, but in the last couple years especially polls have become more and more prominent in everything. Maybe people feel that it's like direct democracy or something? The problem comes when everyone, including politicians feel the need to conform themselves to every little poll result. The problem is that pollsters can be very bias with the questions they ask, the ordering and tone of the question, and even the ordering or multiple questions. It's fairly easy to manipulate a poll to get the result you want.

[/quote]

Most Canadians are secularised idiots who are suckers for. manufactured consent because the majority of them don't know if they are punched or bored.That is an old expression my father used and i employ it out of nostalgia not to irritate moderators who may or may not understand its meaning.It's a little earthy but I think its apt:p..

[quote="curlycool89, post:4, topic:202624"]

[/quote]

As a displaced Westerner(manitoba)living in the East we count on Albertan's who have the wealth population and innate conservatism to be our voice and to be defacto leaders of the Canadian Resistance movement.Shame about Joe Clark though are you SURE he was born in wild rose country?

Well Soutane I wish Alberta would get more help from our conservative cousins in the other provinces because as one of the last "Have" provinces standing I'm pretty much done with Liberal Canada and the buffoonary that goes on down East. I pray Alberta leaves Canada Sooner rather than later so we can get on with living rather than dieing.

Peace!:thumbsup:

I'd very much like to see the survey instrument. Are we talking about the answer to a question of the form, "If a woman is to recieve an abortion, should it be under safe conditions" or some such.

I often frustrate telephone pollsters. I flatly refuse to answer force choice questions.

Here at work, people once tried to have us rank from least to most "honourable," bahaviour by a woman who slept with a ferry boat captain to obtain passage to see her boyfriend, her boyfriend who publically spurned her, a best friend of hers who wouldn't get involved, and another friend who beat up the captain. No one behaved honourably at all, so I refused to answer - in front of the whole division.

Beware of poll results. Few on social issues are conducted without the eventual supporting a given view in mind.

Blessings,

Gerry

[quote="prodigal-sun, post:11, topic:202624"]
Well Soutane I wish Alberta would get more help from our conservative cousins in the other provinces because as one of the last "Have" provinces standing I'm pretty much done with Liberal Canada and the buffoonary that goes on down East.

[/quote]

Hey, don't forget Saskatchewan. It's a have province too. Who knows what ideology Saskatchewan has though.

[quote="prodigal-sun, post:11, topic:202624"]
Well Soutane I wish Alberta would get more help from our conservative cousins in the other provinces because as one of the last "Have" provinces standing I'm pretty much done with Liberal Canada and the buffoonary that goes on down East. I pray Alberta leaves Canada Sooner rather than later so we can get on with living rather than dieing.

[/quote]

I don't blame you.

My wife (from Lebanon) is stunned by the fact that the public purse pays for an elective procedure such as the murder of an inocent child but can't get a few shots to help her back. These have to be paid out of pocket. In Alberta if you go to jail you can have your sex changed for free but Health care won't help you reduce pain.

Our Health Care system is a joke, but yet there are all these (?) out there holding it up like some holy cow that can't be touched. It sickens me!

[quote="Darryl1958, post:2, topic:202624"]
The majority of Canadians have both feet firmly implanted in the culture of death for some time now.

[/quote]

they should really put this in the ballot. i'm paying a huge amount of taxes here and i don't want it going into abortion. throw my share into BC Children's Hospital, where they save childrens' lives, not end it

[quote="prodigal-sun, post:15, topic:202624"]
My wife (from Lebanon) is stunned by the fact that the public purse pays for an elective procedure such as the murder of an inocent child but can't get a few shots to help her back. These have to be paid out of pocket. In Alberta if you go to jail you can have your sex changed for free but Health care won't help you reduce pain.

Our Health Care system is a joke, but yet there are all these (?) out there holding it up like some holy cow that can't be touched. It sickens me!

[/quote]

in BC nowadays you pay $50 just to find out the gender of the baby while in the womb. or, you can kill him/her for free. thats just not right

The wording of this question may have skewed the results. If the questioner had simply asked about international access to abortions rather than to "safe abortions," the response of those given this question may have been different. Also this question was written by someone who seems to approve of abortions, or that person would not have spoken of the safe way to kill babies. That apparent approval also could have caused more people to vote for "safe abortions."

[quote="choy, post:16, topic:202624"]
they should really put this in the ballot. i'm paying a huge amount of taxes here and i don't want it going into abortion. throw my share into BC Children's Hospital, where they save childrens' lives, not end it

[/quote]

Vander Zalm got skewered by the BC media on the issue when he balked at giving tax dollars to fund abortions back in the later eighties or early nineties.

What Harper is doing is doing is very mild, just placing international aid from Canada into projects that are not controversial to Canadians as a whole. Even this is too much for the leftist elites of course, and that is where these biased polls are coming from.

The culture of death in Canada is hard core, and the issue of a woman's right to abortion rallies the troops against 'scary' Christian right wing agendas like nothing else can.While likely the majority position, the belief that life in the womb is fully human is nevertheless politically. A pro-life position has proven to be political suicide for Canadian politicians. The votes gained by a pro-life position just do not compare to the votes that will be gained against the position on the other side.
It is not written in stone of course, but the idea that these kind of reports are coming out in response to the very weak support that Harper has given to the pro-life cause on this issue demonstrates that the left sees this issue as an Achilles Heel for the conservatives

[quote="Darryl1958, post:19, topic:202624"]
Vander Zalm got skewered by the BC media on the issue when he balked at giving tax dollars to fund abortions back in the later eighties or early nineties.

What Harper is doing is doing is very mild, just placing international aid from Canada into projects that are not controversial to Canadians as a whole. Even this is too much for the leftist elites of course, and that is where these biased polls are coming from.

The culture of death in Canada is hard core, and the issue of a woman's right to abortion rallies the troops against 'scary' Christian right wing agendas like nothing else can.While likely the majority position, the belief that life in the womb is fully human is nevertheless politically. A pro-life position has proven to be political suicide for Canadian politicians. The votes gained by a pro-life position just do not compare to the votes that will be gained against the position on the other side.
It is not written in stone of course, but the idea that these kind of reports are coming out in response to the very weak support that Harper has given to the pro-life cause on this issue demonstrates that the left sees this issue as an Achilles Heel for the conservatives

[/quote]

i'm hoping that the huge increase in immigrants will shift this ideology. although the majority of immigrants are Chinese who mostly are not against abortion. especially for the Buddhists i guess, because even if they think they're ending a life, the soul just goes to the recycle bin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.