Most compelling account of a saint?

I will be teaching a course in ethics this Fall and plan on including an account of a saint as a counterpoint to an article arguing against the value of saints. I’d like to find the most compelling account of a saint possible, preferably available online, that could be read by students at a state university (something, ideally, that would underscore the importance and value of saintliness without presupposing a Catholic background).

I was leaning toward Fr. Damien’s account here: ewtn.com/library/MARY/DAMIEN.HTM , but this seems to be directed toward Catholics only, and may be less suitable than other stories of saintliness. Are there any better accounts out there, or saints people think might work better for this? Thanks!

Try getting the article from the Sunday Daily Herald August 10, page 2 sec 1

a non catholic woman named Audrey Toguchi prayed to him and she had a miracle cure. On July 3 Pope Benedict XV1 agreed it was and approved the case as Damien’s second miracle.

So, its not just a good thing for catholics! Praying to saints, can be good for anyone who desires in good faith, that they help I guess.:thumbsup:

I am more looking for an account of a saint’s life that makes a compelling case for why people should value saints. Fr. Damien’s story would certainly resonate with people, but I’d like to find an account that isn’t particularly directed toward Catholics (as the EWTN story seems to be).

It doesn’t have to be Fr. Damien, though, if people have other saints of choice.

Well, my suggestion is: Don’t dumb down the subject. The reason people should value saints is because that is what God calls us to be. To give any lesser reason, for the purpose of not offending non-Catholics, will reek of compromise and will be ignored for that reason

People hunger for solid truth, and when truth is compromised, people smell it a mile away and you lose all credibility

Saint Maximilian Kolbe

I’ll try to think of some others. Saint Maximilian is the best I can think of where ethics are concerned.

Finding an account of a saint that isn’t written for Catholics is not to “dumb down” the subject. It is just to fit the reading to the audience. Saints are compelling even to non-Catholics, and I’d like to show them that as a counterpoint to an article arguing that we should want to not be saints. Of course saints have value because they do God’s will, but that value is often recognizable even to people who don’t fully understand (or yet accept) the meaning of that value.

Saint Ivo of Kermartin

I would agree that Maximilian Kolb would be an excellent and more contemporary example. His story is set in a period and location most understand and is therefore harder to dismiss as legend. His sacrifice was one not based on religious sect but Christ like love. He is an example for anyone as to how we should all follow Christ’s example of unconditional love for others.

Incidentally, today is his Memorial day. :wink:

I’d also agree regarding Saint Maximilian Kolbe who lived a holy and fruitful life, and a practical one, and ended up taking the place of a married man who was to be executed. He kept up the spirits of all who were chosen to die and was the last to die. He is a genuine example of a 20th century saint.

How about Mother Teresa? Or Saint Teresa of Avila? Or Saint John of the Cross? Or, to make the class REALLY interesting, how about Saint Padre PIO?

If you want the most simple way of living, a way that relates to youth of this day, and is so un-noticeable that it would seem the least in line of being saintly, then take the life of St Theresa the little flower.
As one nun said "what could we ever write about her life it was so plain. In this day and age this “simpleness” is the point that could in this day and age gain a place of heroic nature hence would not seem saintly.
And yet it in it’s simpleness is that very essence of saintliness God wishes of all people.

Godbless

Originally Posted by Popes Soldier
*Well, my suggestion is: Don’t dumb down the subject. The reason people should value saints is because that is what God calls us to be. To give any lesser reason, for the purpose of not offending non-Catholics, will reek of compromise and will be ignored for that reason

People hunger for solid truth, and when truth is compromised, people smell it a mile away and you lose all credibility*

Well, insted of fitting the subject to the audience, I would try to conform the audience to the subject.

I’m sorry, I’m not trying to change the subject. Its just that in so many ways, some Catholics have chosen to conform themselves to the world rather than conforming the world to Christ, and the results have been abominable.

Its like, at my job, most people are PC and don’t talk religion. Me, on the other hand, when I see a chance, I put it out there that the Cathoilc Church is the true Church of God - no compromise. Oddly, I have gotten positive reactions, because (I think) people sense my commitment and my honesty. Thats all I’m saying

nobeerinheaven,
for college students, I think you would do better
with “The Confessions of St. Augustine.” He begins with his own life, which even though written in the 4th Century, young people today can relate to, and how God led him to conversion.

Also, St. Augustine is revered by non-Catholics as well.

I found it here on line, but I’m not familiar with the website but at a glance, it looks good;

stoa.org/hippo/,

There may be better websites with it on-line, and perhaps others know of one.

Jim

St. Augustine is an excellent saint (and is my patron saint), but I am trying to assign a reading for one day and not for several weeks. The Confessions would thus be too long.

Mother Theresa could work, if people have 15-20 page account of her life that is available online. I still think Fr. Damien would work best, though, if people can find a good recollection of his work.

My thoughts are St Therese of Lisieux (the little flower) her way is one that could be summed up in one page if written correctly, and written in four or so paragraphs.

Godbless

:thumbsup: …biography ex Catholic Pages.com. His feastday occured on Thursday 14th. August.
catholic-pages.com/saints/st_maximilian.asp

I love many, many of our Saints especially the carmelite spiritual ones. I always say that I have many friends in heaven!

But one of my many favorite friends is Saint Mat’ Maria Skobstova–a Russian Orthodox nun that was destroyed in the Holocaust. Her story is very compelling

http://incommunion.org/img/mother-maria.jpgecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M521THABL.SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20.jpg

bettnet.com/frassati/

Blessed Giorgio Pier Frassati

Try St. Mary of Egypt.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.