Most despicable characters in books you've read

Villains. Without them, there is usually no story. We hate them. Sometimes, we like them. So which book characters do you think earn our hatred? Here are mine:
Inspector Javert from Les Miserables. (Wanted to strangle this guy:mad: )
Frollo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Ozymandais and The Comedian from The Watchmen.
Dr. Moreau from The Island of Dr. Moreau.
Nathaniel from The Bartimaeus Trilogy (to him, everyone's a puppet. And he's the dude we're supposed to care about?)
Voldemort, Lucius Malfoy, and Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter.
The White Witch (or [spoiler]Jarvis[/spoiler] if you prefer) from Narnia.
Screwtape from The Screwtape Letters. (he's a demon, so yeah)
Mr. Micawber and Mr. Murdstone from David Copperfield
Fagin from Oliver Twist
Matilda's parents. Oh and Trumble too. Those poor kids.
Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I love your screen name!

My most hated villains-

Abigail Williams in The Crucible
Iago in Othello
Inspector Javert in Les Miserables (Your absolutely right about this one)
The State in Fahrenheit 451
Edmund in King Lear

just a few…

Vassago from dean Koontz’s Hideaway. i find him tERRIBLE fascinating, and my inner pyschologist wants to pick his brain so badly! But, despite all that, he’s one of the most disgusting, disturbing and truly, purely evil villains I’ve ever read.

I tend to like human villains; people who aren’t true, henous monesters, who still have human emotions. I tend to find them more well rounded and interesting. But Vassago? A true, textbook sociopath, and just…shudder

Lovelace fron Samuel Richardson’s Clarissa

Prof. Umbridge in the Harry Potter series
Briony in Atonement
Messala in Ben-Hur
Lady Catherine in Pride and Prejudice

The Rev. Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter

Mr Micawber? The same Mr Micawber who exposed Uriah Heep’s villainies at the end of the novel and rescued Agnes and her father from his clutches? Say it ain’t so! Uriah, of course, is a villain and an 'orrible one at that. As is Bill Sykes from Oliver Twist as well as Fagin.

Mr Collins as well as Wickham in Pride and Prejudice also come in for my vote as villains.

Big Brother in 1984.

Monks (Oliver`s half-brother): Oliver Twist
Noah Claypole: Oliver Twist. Thanks to his ratting, Nancy is murdered.
Amanda Whitwell: Amanda/Miranda
Wormtongue: The Lord of The Rings
Melkor/Morgoth: The Silmarilion
"Skinner", a razor wielding criminal: Square Rigger
Isaac Boxtel: The Black Tulip
John Baskerville, alias John Stapleton: The hound of The Baskervilles
Madame Defarge: A Tale of Two Cities
Barsard and Cly: A Tale of Two Cities
Bob Ewell: To KIll a Mockingbird

Harry Powell… AMEN! What a stinking creep!

Miss Minchin, A Little Princess

Norman Arminger, Dies the Fire, The Protector’s War, A Meeting at Corvallis

Sethaz, The Sunrise Lands, The Scourge of God, The Sword of the Lady (and probably The High King of Montival too).

Gérard de Villefort, Fernand Mondego, and Baron Danglars, The Count of Monte Cristo

Oops. Guess it’s been too long since I read David Copperfield. I forgot about that. Uriah’s the one I hate. Thanks.
Anyway, I forgot a book character. Saint Dane from The Pendragon Adventure series. He can change his appearance. What’s really neat about this villain is that he can actually win by losing.

OOOHHHHHH! Good call!

I definitely agree with this one. Most annoying character in the series.

Another one that really got on my nerves.

I’d also like to add Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

ANd how can I forget Count Olaf?

GREAT VILLAIN! I’m ashamed of myself for not mentioning this one…

The only charactor I’ve ever wanted to just reach through the pages and strangle her. I think she is more evil the you know who, lol.

In addition to many of the others mentioned above:

• Count Dracula in Dracula

• Elmer Gantry in Elmer Gantry

• Count Fosco in The Woman in White

• Uncle Silas and Madame de la Rougierre in Uncle Silas

• Sir John Chester in Barnaby Rudge

• Mr. Squeers in Nicholas Nickleby

Strangle her? I wanted to punch her flabby face. :rolleyes:

All of the above! She was honestly someone I could not stand!!! I was literally cheering as she was carted off by the Centaurs!

Feanor from the Silmarillion ( I know most people would not classify him in this category, but his pride and stubbornness caused a lot of unnecessary Pain and War and Deaths…)
Fernando Mondago in Count of Monte Cristo
Heathcliff from *Wuthering Heights *
Lydia( Elizabeth Bennet’s younger sister) from P&P
Mr. Wickham and Mr. Willougby and John Thorpe all Austen’s Villains…

I want to say the character Sunday from The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton…

Though if you’ve finished the book like I have, and comprenhended its almost troll like ending (comparable to Anno’s Evangelion), then you would understand why I can’t place him as one of the most despicable characters out there. :thumbsup:

When I think of villains I love to hate, I think of Joy from “Good Country People” and the grandmother from “A Good Man Is Hard to Find”. Flannery O’Connor is unmatched in her ability to create despicable protagonists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.