Most Inspiring Priest/Monk/Nun

I sometimes think that the realization of someone's vocation to the priesthood or religious life is always inspired by a priest or monk or nun who they knew or knew of.

Does anyone have any inspiring stories about a priest or religious they knew?

I was close friends with a priest who was accused of sexual misconduct. His heart was broken at the accusation. He was removed from his duties for the investigation, which was dropped because the woman confessed she had simply not liked him and wanted him gone. So her solution was to make up the whole story. It's a shame.

During the time that he (Father) was basically in exile, the sorrow and heartbreak he felt in being apart from the Sacraments was unbearable to see. He would cry often, something in our whole lives together I had never seen him do. ...And I have known him since we were children. I never doubted his sincerity in his innocence. But what was so enormously awe inspiring to me was his obedience to our Church! He remained steadfast and faithful, never spiteful, never vengeful; always vigilant, always ready to be called back. Waiting. Praying. Weeping. His love of his vocation was simply astounding.

Thankfully he is now practicing again as he has been cleared of all charges.

Wow how inspiring , what a great Priest!!!
I think I have been inspired by most Sisters I have met, particularly cloistered ones, which I pray to be one day.
Any nun that can live confined to one place for many years amazes me!!!

[quote="Ophelia23, post:2, topic:308082"]
I was close friends with a priest who was accused of sexual misconduct. His heart was broken at the accusation. He was removed from his duties for the investigation, which was dropped because the woman confessed she had simply not liked him and wanted him gone. So her solution was to make up the whole story. It's a shame.

During the time that he (Father) was basically in exile, the sorrow and heartbreak he felt in being apart from the Sacraments was unbearable to see. He would cry often, something in our whole lives together I had never seen him do. ...And I have known him since we were children. I never doubted his sincerity in his innocence. But what was so enormously awe inspiring to me was his obedience to our Church! He remained steadfast and faithful, never spiteful, never vengeful; always vigilant, always ready to be called back. Waiting. Praying. Weeping. His love of his vocation was simply astounding.

Thankfully he is now practicing again as he has been cleared of all charges**.

[/quote]

Praise God!

I have prayed for him.

This is a beautiful topic for contribution, thank you and what a beautiful and positive heart you have!

Sister Ann V who taught me religion in Secondary School, being gifted and using all of the most beautiful talents that God, The Holy Spirit, Jesus and Our Lady Mary gave her! The most important attribute of Sister Ann was her kindness, effervescence, joyfulness and when Sister crossed her legs playing her guitar, I would look from her pretty brown eyes down to her foot and notice her foot moving to the music Jesus and Our Lady gave Sister to play!! This Sister was the only teacher in all of my schooling who wrote the most positive thing about me in Year 10, '....has the opportunity to deepen her Christian commitment'.

I love you Sister Ann V and have prayed for your soul!

Awww how sweet!! She sounds lovely !!:)

Sounds similar to the life of Padre Pio :thumbsup: Being patient in such trying times is truly exemplary :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing this beautiful example.

The religious who inspired me above all is Sr. Mary Gabriel of the Sisters of Life. :smiley:

I was attending my very first Young Adult retreat and was quite anxious. I felt like the devil was pursuing me and I had been away from the Church and the Sacraments for so long. I knew the enemy did not want me at that retreat. I wanted so badly to leave but I asked one of the retreat core team members if I could speak to one of the religious. By that time, I was already crying. The team member ran inside one of the cabins and came outside with Sr. Mary Gabriel. The moment Sister saw me, she gave me a big hug and asked me to sit outside with her on the picnic bench and tell her what was bothering me. When I told her I wanted to leave because I was scared and tired, she was genuinely concerned and asked that I wait at least until morning to leave. I finally gave in and she asked me to wait outside while she went in to fetch her bottle of Holy Water. She came outside again and asked me to close my eyes and hold out my hands as she proceeded to ask for protection from the enemy from the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Michael, the Archangel. At that very moment, the doubt and anxiety was erased from my mind and I felt totally at peace. It wasn’t until I went to my cabin and looked at the time that I realized she had stayed with me until 2am! :eek: I was able to go to my cabin and sleep like a baby. I did NOT leave the next morning – I stayed the entire weekend and made a total reversion to the Church! I just celebrated my 5th year anniversary (while on the retreat again!).

Sr. Mary Gabriel’s loving example of service and love ignited my desire for religious life for myself. I want to give that same example to someone else so they will know God and His Mercy and Love for themselves. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.