Most powerful prayers you know?

Liturgy of the Hours
The fifty-four day novena

What else can we come up with? Also, extra points for those who can come up with certain prayers put into action.

+JMJ+

Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence, Part II, Chapter I
“We Do Not Ask Enough”

It is clear then that we do not receive anything because we do not ask enough. God could not give us little, He could not restrict His liberality to small things without doing us grave harm. Do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that we offend God if we ask for temporal benefits or to be freed from misfortune. Obviously prayers of this kind can rightly be addressed to Him by making the condition that they are not contrary to His glory or our eternal salvation. But as it is hardly likely that it would redound to His glory for Him to answer them, or to our advantage to have them answered if our wishes end there, it must be repeated that **as long as we are content with little we run the risk of obtaining nothing.
Let me show you a good way to ask for happiness even in this world. It is a way that will oblige God to listen to you. Say to him earnestly: Either give me so much money that my heart will be satisfied, or inspire me with such contempt for it that I no longer want it.

Either free me from poverty, or make it so pleasant for me that I would not exchange it for all the wealth in the world. Either take away my suffering, or – which would be to your greater glory – change it into delight for me, and instead of causing me affliction, let it become a source of joy. You can take away the burden of my cross, or you can leave it with me without my feeling its weight. You can extinguish the fire that burns me, or you can let it burn in such a way that it refreshes me as it did the three youths in the fiery furnace. I ask you for either one thing or the other. What does it matter in what way I am happy? If I am happy through the possession of worldly goods, it is you I have to thank. If I am happy when deprived of them, it gives you greater glory and my thanks are all the greater.

This is the kind of prayer worthy of being offered to God by a true Christian. When you pray in this way, do you know what the effect of your prayers will be? First, you will be satisfied whatever happens; and what else do those who most desire this world’s goods want except to be satisfied? Secondly, you will not only obtain without fail one of the two things you have asked for but, as a rule, you will obtain both of them. God will give you the enjoyment of wealth, and so that you may possess it without the danger of becoming attached to it, He will inspire you at the same time with contempt for it. He will put an end to your sufferings and even more He will leave you with a desire for them which will give you all the merit of patience without having to suffer. In a word He will make you happy here and now, and lest your happiness should do you harm, He will let you know and feel the emptiness of it. Can one ask for anything better? But if such a great blessing is well worth being asked for, remember that still more is it worth being asked for with insistence. For the reason why we obtain little is not only because we ask for little but still more because, whether we ask a little or we ask a lot, we do not ask often enough.

The Rosary. Click on link below my signature.

There are no such things as “powerful prayers.” We are helpless and no set of words or number of repetitions avails us one thing. But the love, humility and yearning for God we bring to a commitment to prayer, matters. Also, Jesus did tell us a parable so we would keep at God with our prayers. So constancy matters, too.

I personally believe silence in God is the most intense form of prayer. But it still has no power.

Interesting topic. May I suggest that prayers alone are not the sole criteria for being ‘powerful.’ Often it is the time as well such as when the Host is Consecrated and held up by the priest in Mass for all to see. . Sometimes it is the place such as Lourdes or the Adoration Room. Often it is the disposition of the Prayer -er person. Such as fervency and pure of mortal sin.

Yes… Interesting Topic indeed.

+JMJ+

Actually, there IS one “sole criterion” for power in Jesus’ words.
[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 17:19[/BIBLEDRB]

I love what you’ve written. I can identify with all of what you’ve said. It is so true: whether we ask a little or we ask a lot, we do not ask often enough. Thank you. You have inspired me. :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

Without a shadow of a doubt. The power of one Hail Mary is so great. The power of the Rosary? Mighty!!!

I love you Our Lady :love:

Oh Mary, conceived without sin. Pray for us who have recourse to Thee.

**Grace before meals. **

For some, it is the most frequent prayer prayed. It is powerful for it shows us how to sanctify the world through Christ.

Sign of the Cross

A few words and a simple gesture, yet it is powerful enough to make demons flee.

*Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee,
Blessed art thou among women,
And Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
Pray for us, sinners,
Now and at the Hour of our death, Amen.*

This.

And the Our Father, and the Chaplet of St. Michael.

Jesus I Trust In You

Oh how I love The Divine Mercy. My heart lit up when I saw your post.

"O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in You."

Jesus I Trust In You :love:

divinemercy.org/

I feel that all the above prayers, and any prayer that is said in accordance with the Christian faith and that are compatible with God’s will (if that’s the right way of phrasing it), are powerful. They are powerful in that God, Jesus, Our Blessed Lady, The Archangels, Angels and Saints are present in these prayers; waiting, for us to come with FAITH and TRUST, to ask for the abundance of help, love, protection, intercession, and so many more beautiful and wondrous gifts, that they can bestow and shower on us (I just had an image of roses falling from Heaven :heaven:)! All we have to do is ASK with faith, trust, hope and love and BELIEVE that our prayers will be granted. And give THANKS and PRAISE for when they are answered and for being listened to. As my devout, wise, beautiful and wonderful mother (I can’t praise her enough! :love:) always says: Our lips should never be tired thanking and praising God|!!! :gopray2:

ADMIRABLE IS THE NAME OF GOD. JESUS I TRUST IN YOU. OUR LADY I LOVE YOU. ARCHANGELS PROTECT US. GUARDIAN ANGELS GUIDE US. CHOIRS OF ANGELS WATCH OVER US. SAINTS INTERCEDE FOR US. I LOVE YOU ALL. :amen:

I appreciate the responses. I feel a few people journeyed over from the apologetic forums and forgot to let their guard down a bit. I asked two serious threads which garnered one very good but slightly misapplied response. So, I thought I’d loosen it up and ask a fun thread about which prayers are the most powerful for you, personally speaking.

One of Mother Teresa’s favorites was the Memorare.

“Remember O Gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, employed your help, or sought your intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto you O Virgin of Vigins my mother, to you I come, before you I stand, sinfull and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, dispise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.”

The other prayer that has been successful has been this one.

"In the name of Jesus, I bind all spirits not of the Holy Spirit afflicting (name) ,to the foot of the cross of Jesus Christ to await his judgement. "

This person would not accept the Miraculous Medal, or the Green Scapular, so I have been praying this prayer, and something has been changing in them for the better.

Ah well… Put like that

I can not say what is powerful or not in my own experience. I can only say that which I have been attracted to as of most of my Life.

That being:

The Rosary.
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
The Chaplet of the Holy Wounds
St. Patrick’s Lorica or Breastplate or Deer’s Cry.
Litany to the Precious blood
Litany of Mary
The Divine Praises
Novena to St. Dymphna
Novena of St. Dismas
Novena of the Breast plate of St. Patrick
The Way of the Cross
St. Gertrude’s Prayer for the Holy Souls
St. Bridgit’s Prayers (never quite made it for a full year–2 months max. Yes I *know *they are associated with some unsubtantiated assertions - great prayers none the less)
The Prayer of St. Michael
The Glory Be.
The Morning Offering
The Three Hail Mary’s
St. Anthony’s Prayers for lost Things.
St Benedict’s prayer of the Medal of St. Benedict
St Bernard’s of Clairvaux Prayer to the wound of the Holy Wound of Our Lord’s Shoulder
The Prayer at the Holy Water fount when entering the Church for the Holy Souls and Sinners.
Other than miscellaneous Novenas (St. Jude et. al.) These are pretty much my grist for the mill.

Methinks I need to incorporate more Prayers involving the Holy Spirit and my Guardian Angel tho.

Oh! And the ‘Spiritual Communion’ of course.

I took the time to answer this question just to see/ take a personal inventory of what is actually occuring with my Prayer life. I found it interesting - interesting in that it gave me a more objective look at myself when I actually wrote out what I prayed.

Hmmmmmmm…

St Francis de Sales also prayed the Memorare daily! :thumbsup:

+JMJ+

Well, put like that, I frequently pray silently the Hail Mary with phrases for the “Jesus” part. That’s how I pray continually, kinda like how our Eastern Catholic brethren pray the Jesus Prayer. This prayer gives me much joy and peace throughout the day.

What I mean by this is that when I pray the Hail Mary, when I get to the word “Jesus” I add an appropriate phrase for Him.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee,
Blessed art thou among women,
And Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus [insert phrase here].

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
Pray for us, sinners,
Now and at the Hour of our death, Amen.

I love this prayer because instead of focusing on what I want and need, I focus on praising Jesus along with Mary, and yet it gives me what I need the most all the time: joy and peace, and clinging to God’s will. And this prayer is very spontaneous and never grows old (at least for me) because I keep on thinking of phrases to praise Jesus. A small sampling of phrases that I have used, according to my memory, are

“my Light and my Strength”
“my Savior”
“my Salvation”
“the Light upon my feet”
“Whose rod and staff keep me safe”
“my Peace and Joy”
“King of kings and Lord of lords”
“whom I trust”
“my Truest Friend and Dearest Brother”
“my Lord and my All”
“my Heart”
“my Soul”
“my Love”
“my Hope”
“my Faith”
“the Word of God”
“Merciful King”
and so many others more.

As you can see, this prayer cannot be exhausted, even if you pray it minute upon minute, hour upon hour, everyday (as I do).

And when I have petitions I still use this. For example, if I need to have something done well I add “who does everything well” (from Mark 7:37). If I need something to happen I use “who loves me and provides for me.” If I have sinned and I need forgiveness I use “Merciful King and Judge”. In front of the Holy Eucharist I never fail to add “our daily Bread” and “the inebriating Blood” along with many others. And of course if I want to thank God and the Heavens I add “to whom my heart sings for joy”.

I also pray the Holy Rosary. In fact, I think the strength of the “Hail Mary with phrases to praise Jesus” derives from this. I pray the Holy Rosary meditating on the meaning of each mystery, but I do not personally need to edit each Hail Mary, I just pray them as is.

And oh yeah how I pray the Rosary is a bit different: I could pray five mysteries more than once a day. What I mean is I pray the Five Mysteries assigned to a particular day at a set time everyday, but when I have the inspiration or need to pray some more, I pray those same mysteries again instead of trying to pray other mysteries to try to finish the whole Rosary in a day. I do this to ingrain into my mind what I meditated upon, and it seems I cannot do that if I focus myself into twenty mysteries all at once in a day.

And oh, this is what I pray before to when I pray the Rosary:

And then there’s my “emergency prayer”, when I need a rapid-fire prayer that is shorter and quicker than the Hail Mary:

Mary to Jesus, [insert phrase]

Wherein the phrase is usually “my Savior”, “my Salvation”, “my Shield”, “Mercy”, and others to that effect, since this emergency prayer is usually for intense temptations. It is based on St. Louis de Montfort’s motto “Ad Jesum per Mariam” which is translated as “To Jesus Through Mary.” And the prayer is very effective as long as I pray it sincerely enough and (I could not emphasize this more) often enough.

What an excellent idea! thankyou!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.