Most Puerto Ricans Face a Second Night Without Electricity

Most Puerto Ricans faced another night of darkness Thursday as crews slowly restored electricity a day after a fire at a power plant caused the aging utility grid to fail and blacked out the entire island of 3.5 million people.

Nearly 370,000 of the 1.5 million homes and businesses served by the power utility had power back by late Thursday. Gov. Alejandro Garcia Padilla said he hoped more than half would be reconnected by Friday morning, adding that public school classes were canceled on Friday."

The governor wanted that restoring power would be a slow process. “Given that the system is so old, numerous setbacks could occur,” he said. “The system is not designed to withstand a failure of this magnitude.”

abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/crews-rush-restore-power-blacked-puerto-rico-42268174

Meanwhile, the president of the island’s sewer system, Alberto Lazaro, said that potable water service had been interrupted for some 340,000 customers due to the blackout.

latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2016/09/22/puerto-rico-trying-to-recover-after-huge-blackout/

Photos

nbcnews.com/slideshow/puerto-rico-s-power-outage-enters-second-night-n653031

I pray for the people of Puerto Rico.

[It doesn’t have to be this way.]

I hope that it’s a clear night for them. Without the light pollution, the stars must look amazing!

Amen.

I was stationed in Puerto Rico in the 1070’s and power outages were a way of life back then, even on the base. Since Puerto Rico is an island, there is very little light pollution at night and the sky is unbelievable with the Milky Way, shooting stars heat lightening and the moon glowing on the water as far as you can see, especially at this time of year.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.