Most women don't know the chemical effects of contraception

catholicnewsagency.com/news/the-science-of-attraction-how-the-pill-is-changing-who-women-want-79290/

Boulder, Colo., Nov 11, 2014 / 05:02 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The pill is not only causing a massive shift in who women are attracted to, but is also wreaking havoc on their bodies, men and the environment. What’s more? Biochemical research can prove it, says one critic.

“Chemical contraceptives were first introduced as being good for our bodies,” said Vicki Thorn, founder of Project Rachel and the National Office for Post Abortion Reconciliation and Healing.

“There was very little research that was done when chemical contraception first became available.”

Thorn spoke Nov. 6 on the topic of “The Science of Attraction: A New View on Sex” at the Aquinas Institute for Catholic Thought, an intellectual arm of ministry on the campus of CU Boulder, Colorado.

She said that in the wake of activist Margaret Sanger’s birth control movement in the early 20th century – which sought legalization and widespread availability of the pill – society has been largely bereft of the knowledge on exactly what chemical contraception does to the female body.

And yet – according to Thorn – nutritional deficiencies, weight gain, blood clots, cancer, sexually transmitted diseases, long term infertility, and de-mineralization causing osteoporosis are all direct side effects of birth control.

****Most of the 68 million women using contraception today don’t know that, she said.

In addition to the physical side effects, Thorn believes that contraception also influences a woman’s attraction to a man.
Read more.

Indeed!

I liked this page: naturalwomanhood.org/about/

arhp.org/publications-and-resources/contraception-journal/august-2011

This is nuts!

I’d stick to the science. Birth control pills have been used for more than 50 years. The side effects are well known. Opponents of artificial contraception have speculated about negative health consequences of long-term use, but the evidence suggests no substantial negative consequences, particularly compared to the health risks associated with pregnancy and childbirth. This is not to say that use of birth control pills is morally acceptable – Catholic teaching is clear on that point – but scaring women by speculating about unproven health consequences is untruthful and irresponsible.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What do you think are ‘unproven health consequences?’

Birth control pill is grouped by the International Agency for Research on Cancer in the same group as asbestos and tobacco, group 1.

Messes with natural fertility cycle. Increases risk of breast cancer. Strokes. Blood clots. And breakthrough ovulation that can lead to a chemical abortion.

Have to stick with science on this one!

Which is also the same group as wood shavings and tylenol.

Just necause they are also in group 1 does make it any less serious that the birth control pill is listed in the same group.

I think the fact that wood shavings is listed is because there are / could be health risks with inhaling these shavings. This is from an interview with a material scientist:

Dr Cliff said: “We have seen the International Agency for Research on Cancer declare that wood dust is a type 1 carcinogen. The fact that the particles are too small to be monitored or regulated is, in my opinion, a risk. By ignoring this risk we are going to create a problem that could be as big as asbestos.”

bristolpost.co.uk/Inhaling-wood-chip-dust-new-asbestos/story-18246622-detail/story.html

Here is more information on wood shavings:

hpva.org/sites/default/files/Wooddust_QA.pdf

Acetaminophen tied to blood cancers

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - New research shows chronic users of acetaminophen, a top-selling painkiller known as Tylenol in the U.S. and paracetamol in Europe, are at slightly increased risk for blood cancers.

mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7486CC20110509?irpc=932

Here is her actual speech along with the details.

None of this is new and the science behind it is easy enough to look up.

I thought the OPs references might be applicable to another pollution story at CAF World News. So I posted something similar there - also from Boulder, Colo. Thanks Viki63.

ncregister.com/site/article/3151 < see also.

Environmentalists Mum on Poisoned Streams

Also…

-menstrual cycles may become more regular
-blood flow during menstruation may be lighter and less iron may be lost. Therefore, anemia due to iron deficiency is less likely to occur
-pain or other symptoms during menstruation may be encountered less frequently
-ectopic (tubal) pregnancy may occur less frequently
-noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast may occur less frequently
-acute pelvic inflammatory disease may occur less frequently
-oral contraceptive use may provide some protection against developing two forms of cancer: cancer of the ovaries and cancer of the lining of the uterus.

All medications have risks and benefits.

The risks and benefits depend on the formulation. Of course people are usually willing to take the risks of medication to fix something that’s broken. But, when people take drugs as a means to prevent a natural process (eg.taking exlax so you don’t get fat) they get medical treatment.

This is propaganda.

Propaganda? I’ve certainly seen some propaganda here…but I can vouch for the benefits of a life on the pill!

Hormonal contraceptives themselves have inherent health risks. Synthetic hormones powerful enough to disrupt a woman’s reproductive system may affect every major system of her body. Depending on the type and strength of the hormonal contraceptive, over five percent of women experience some of the following symptoms: headaches, weight gain, acne, mood swings, depression, anxiety, breast pain, dizziness, severe pain during menses, a range of bleeding problems, and a lack of desire for sex. In the case of Depo-Provera, there can also be a 5-6% loss of bone mineral density after five years’ use, which is only partially reversed in the years after discontinuation.

Among the less common side effects of hormonal contraceptives are the following: blood clots in the veins, lungs, heart, and brain, potentially causing heart attack and strokes; breast cancer; potentially life-threatening ectopic pregnancy (in which the embryo most often implants in the narrow tube between the ovary and womb); liver tumors; and ovarian cysts.

The link between hormonal contraceptives and breast cancer has been known for over thirty years. The World Health Organization has classified synthetic estrogen and progestin in contraceptives as carcinogenic to humans. According to a major meta-analysis, women who use oral contraceptives before age 20 have a 1.95% elevated risk of developing breast cancer.

Source:
usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/love-and-sexuality/

Home » Resources » Life and Family » Sexuality & Contraception
What a Woman Should Know about Contraceptives
“The Pill”

The birth control pill is used by over 10 million women in the US today and about 4 million of those are under age 25. The Pill consists of a combination of two types of artificial hormones called estrogens and progestins. It works by inhibiting ovulation and sperm transport and by changing the lining of the inside of a woman’s uterus (called the endometrium) so that if the woman does conceive she will often have an early abortion.

Ethical side effects: It is estimated that women experience at least one very early abortion for every year that they are on the Pill. Both pro-abortion and pro-life groups acknowledge that the Pill causes early abortions.3

Medical side effects: The birth control pill increases the risk of breast cancer by over 40% if it is taken before a woman delivers her first baby. This risk increases by 70% if the Pill is used for four or more years before the woman’s first child is born. Other side effects that women have experienced include the development of high blood pressure, blood clots, stroke, heart attack, depression, weight gain, migraine, dark spots on the skin and difficulty with breast-feeding. Diabetics who take oral contraceptives may note increased sugar levels. Some women who stop taking the Pill do not have a return of their fertility (menstrual cycles) for a year or longer. Although the Pill decreases ovarian and some uterine cancers, it increases breast, liver, and cervical cancer. At least three studies have noted that the AIDS virus is transmitted more easily to women who are taking the Pill and whose partner(s) has the HIV virus. The cost of using the Pill for five years is over $1,000.

Source:
catholicnewsagency.com/resources/life-and-family/sexuality-contraception/what-a-woman-should-know-about-contraceptives/

I followed the link to the original article that the CNA article provided to see what source they were using for the abortion bit. Seems the original article was changed at some point as it now reads:

Ethical Concerns: When the Pill works by preventing implantation of a recently conceived embryo, it produces an early abortion.2

What a Woman Should Know about Birth Control

That is a very different statment and says nothing concrete about the pill and abortion. There is no consensus on the issue. What we do know is that it is possible to get pregnant on the pill as many women do. Is there solid evidence that abortions occur and that they are caused by the pill?

Sorry, I am not an expert on that. I just wanted to post basic, widely known information about the risks associated with taking the pill, especially over a long period of time. I agree there is a lot we don’t know. The link with breast cancer is becoming clearer. I think women should make their own decision, but they need to hear all sides. Another area of concern is reduced fertility - again when the pill is taken over a long period of time. I find it amazing that women just so glibly sign their body up for this ingestion of synthetic hormones, often for years. I don’t even want the stuff in my water supply. I wonder if men would do the same if the tables were turned and this information was out there - my gut feeling is…no way. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.