MOT?

My boss, who is also the owner of the company I work for, is Jewish. He has lately developed the annoying habit of asking people he meets if they are “MOT”. That means he is asking if they are a “member of the tribe”.

My understanding is that the destruction of the temple in the 1st century left “no stone unturned”. Thus, they have no tribe, no priesthood, no nothing. Right?

I am not a history expert, but I know a lot of people here are. I’d be interested in any comments concerning the actual history of “the tribe” and its actual lineage and claim to thereof. In the great scheme of things, it probably doesn’t matter. This is just more of a history question that anything else.

Wouldn’t it be safe to say that we, the Catholic Church, remains as the true tribe?

Are you somehow trying to discredit Judaism?

Not really. At least I don’t think so. There can only be one covenant with God. Judaism is at the heart and soul of where it began. However, since Christ, that covenant has been fulfilled and we therefore must continue with the new covenant. This did not replace the old. Rather, it is a continuance of the old, as Christians recognize it as being fulfilled. (I am not actually stating this as fact, per se. I am asking for clarification and a better articulation.)

I am French and in my language, MOT means WORD. I thought this thread was about the use of this french word in English. After reading your original post, I’m thinking that we are a religion of the Word. The Word made flesh that is so yes we are MOT people. Sorry for the digression, I have an artistic poetic twisted mind :slight_smile:

and to contribute to the thread:
Revelation chapter 7 with footnote:
I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal, one hundred and forty-four thousand marked from every tribe of the Israelites: twelve thousand were marked from the tribe of Judah, twelve thousand from the tribe of Reuben, twelve thousand from the tribe of Gad, twelve thousand from the tribe of Asher, twelve thousand from the tribe of Naphtali, twelve thousand from the tribe of Manasseh, twelve thousand from the tribe of Simeon, twelve thousand from the tribe of Levi, twelve thousand from the tribe of Issachar, twelve thousand from the tribe of Zebulun, twelve thousand from the tribe of Joseph, and twelve thousand were marked from the tribe of Benjamin. After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands. *

Footnote: One hundred and forty-four thousand: the square of twelve (the number of Israel’s tribes) multiplied by a thousand, symbolic of the new Israel (cf Rev 14:1-5; Gal 6:16; James 1:1) that embraces people from every nation, race, people, and tongue (Rev 7:9).

usccb.org/nab/bible/revelation/revelation7.htm

Members of the tribe of Israel, or the twelve tribes of Israel.

And yes, in a way that your boss may / or may not appreciate, Christians are MOT.

As St. Paul (a Jewish Pharisee) said in Romans, Israel is the original root, and pagan converts to Christianity are the grafted wild branch.

Jesus said He was the vine and we are His branches.

Pope John Paul said the Jewish people are the spiritual “elder brothers of Catholics.”

crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/538/John_Paul_Remembered__1.html

That’s great! Thanks for the chuckle!

:D, :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.