Mother Angelica's favorite prayer

The other night I was watching Mother Angelica Classics on EWTN and she mentioned her favorite prayer. She said the prayer was about how we are worth nothing. Does anyone know what that is? Sorry, kind of obscure, but she didn’t name it or recite it. I’m really interested in finding it, though.

Or if you know any other prayers about unworthiness, please share them with me. I’m trying to avoid spiritual pride.

Not sure which one Mother was referring to, but there’s a great prayer composed by Cardinal Merry de Val called the Litany of Humility which you might like - it’s simple but very powerful:

"O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed…
From the desire of being loved…
From the desire of being extolled …
From the desire of being honored …
From the desire of being praised …
From the desire of being preferred to others…
From the desire of being consulted …
From the desire of being approved …
From the fear of being humiliated …
From the fear of being despised…
From the fear of suffering rebukes …
From the fear of being calumniated …
From the fear of being forgotten …
From the fear of being ridiculed …
From the fear of being wronged …
From the fear of being suspected …

Deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I …
That others may be esteemed more than I …
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease …
That others may be chosen and I set aside …
That others may be praised and I unnoticed …
That others may be preferred to me in everything…
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.

Thank you, I really like this prayer. :slight_smile:

Apparently God thinks your worth something…He sent his only begotten Son…who in turn died for us all on the Cross. Isn’t true humility knowing the truth of what kind of person you are and the areas in which one needs to overcome? Going to that quiet place within your heart where you pray in secret and God sees you in secret…and pass through the storms in peace & trust in God?

I see it as being the other way around. We are worth something BECAUSE God sent His only begotten Son to die for us. Without Him we are indeed nothing - all we have and are comes from Him.

I agree with LilyM…All we have of any worth is from Him. In fact it IS Him. All we have to do is ask: Show me Lord, show me HOW that You Yourself may grow within me and I myself may be swallowed up in Your Victory!,God Bless,nannyma

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.