Mother/Catholic- Father/Christian ( New Born) help.....

I have a Mother who is Catholic and a Father who in my younger years were separated, My Father ( New Born Christian ) still believes in the Catholic church but he attends regularly at a Christian Community Church nearby. I love my parents dearly and try to spend Sundays mostly with them but I have to go separately since one is Catholic and one is Christian Some say it is wrong to have two faiths. Is that true.

Catholics are Christian…is there something specific you’d like answer too?

I’m a little confused… if your father “still believes in the Catholic church” then why does he not practice? Or, if he has no real issues with Catholicism, then maybe once in a while he can attend Mass with you. Since Sunday Mass is an obligation… Even if he goes with you every Sunday, most protestant churches offer smaller more informal services on Sunday and Wednesday evenings so he can still fellowship there.
Keep praying for your dad. If he is truly seeking The truth, he will find it’s fullness with The Church!

Hello,

I would sincerely communicate your questions to your parents. Ask your Dad why he is leaning towards leaving the Catholic Church and ask your Mother why she continues to stay Catholic. This is a wonderful problem to have in one’s household in this day in age. Count yourself blessed that this polarity stems from wanting to find truth and exercising their desires to know the Lord and lean on faith. This goes for both of your parents. Continue to ask Jesus to guide you to the truth separate from both sides tugging on your allegiance. Do not take either side as gospel until you fully investigate for yourself where they are coming from. I am a born again Christian who urges you to go to the Holy Bible and start by reading the words of Jesus in the gospels Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Glod bless you and your family.

I Timothy 4
10For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
11These things command and teach.

One thing you failed to mention, is which faith, if any do you adhere to?

I also disagree with Follow Yeshua’s reply, "Ask your Dad why he is leaning towards leaving the Catholic Church and ask your Mother why she continues to stay Catholic."
That is merely an attempt to get you and your family away from the Catholic Church.

Accept people for where they are, and go from there.

I am a born again Christian who urges you to go to the Holy Bible and start by reading the words of Jesus in the gospels Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

**I am, too, and I did.

That’s why I left the Baptists and other pop-evangelicals.**

Amen…I don’t know what pop evangelicals are but I take it you don’t care for them much! lol
God bless you

You are entirely wrong. My wife is Catholic and I urged my son to make his first communion. I believe that if the heart is sincere, the holy spirit will reveal truth. I have faith in that. I don’t ever want to trick a soul or use trickery to spread the gospel. The spirit searcheth all.

Fair enough.

It is just that your statement in your original answer appeared more to be getting them away from the Catholic Church.

You’re right in that the Holy Spirit will guide them. We are all in different places in our faith journey, that is why i said to meet them where they are.

You and me know both how easy it is to get sucked into arguing about our two religions. I really try to play fair and even bite my tongue on the insults (not meaning you.)

I hope you have a blessed day brother.

Jesus bless you today!

You are so right.

I have never seen an active Christian that was brought to his/her faith kicking and screaming with knots on his/her head.

Bless you

Very good point my brother. When Peter took issue with the men who put their hands on our Lord in the garden, his initial reaction was to pull his sword. We must remain resolute to keep our weapons of the spirit and it looks like your doing a great job!

Hi there Love1divine,

I read your profile, and it says you are Catholic. If I were you I would attend Mass with your Mother and offer the Body and Blood of Christ that you eat and drink for your Dad to come back totaly to the One True faith (Catholic) any other faith is one too many and to top it off man made.

Ufam Tobie

This is the best advise yet.:thumbsup:

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.