Mother furious after in-school clinic sets up teen's abortion (Seattle)

From KOMO:

[INDENT]The mother of a Ballard High School student is fuming after the health center on campus helped facilitate her daughter’s abortion during school hours.

The mother, whom KOMO News has chosen to identify only as “Jill,” says the clinic kept the information “confidential.”

When she signed a consent form, Jill figured it meant her 15 year old could go to the Ballard Teen Health Center located inside the high school for an earache, a sports physical, even birth control, but not for help terminating a pregnancy.

Jill says her daughter, a pro-life advocate, was given a pass, put in a taxi and sent off to have an abortion during school hours all without her family knowing.
[/INDENT]
Ain’t “choice” a wonderful thing? /sarc

I have not seen this reported anywhere in the mainstream media. I sure wish the Catholic democrats would wake up and see how pro choice their party is. Just dig a little into what is reported and by who. It really is a black and white issue that the democratic party is the party of abortion.

How in the world can a school clinic, which is not allowed to administer so much as an aspirin, be able to do this? This is a good example of how far this country has fallen with regard to morals. I think we are in deep do-do.

I would cry. I would be so, sad in my heart-

Not JUST because my daughter would CHOOSE to have an abortion, because all in all, this girl- who knows she may have been PRESSURED or INTIMIDATED into thinking she should have one, but again, all in all, SHE had SEX, SHE got pregnant, SHE went thru with the abortion…THAT aside…

It would BREAK my HEART, not to know, not to be able to BE there and COMFORT my daughter…while she’s bleeding afterwards, cramping in pain…the emotional…oh my goodness…this poor child to have to go thru something like this with the coldness of an entity like a ‘clinic’ holding her hand…

I think this is a common but unspoken practice. Even the states that have parental notification statues often use judges in the courts to grant a child permission to have an abortion without parental consent.

The “no media coverage” is a disgrace.

This is just unbelievable… as a father of daughters, one of which who is a teenager, this is scary stuff.

As a side note, I’d offer that abortion is neither just a catholic nor democratic issue… up here, many of us as Lutheran priests march side by side with Roman Catholic priests against this monstrosity.

Lord have mercy…

High Schools in my native Ontario would set this stuff up confidentially too via the Guidance Councilor’s office. They also provided free condoms that gained a notorious reputation because they routinely broke. Sex Ed in Grade 7 was a trip too. I remember -aside from the overwhelming sensation of awkwardness- the girls running out of the class to throw up.

It was and is a joke of a system. A total farce.

Don’t do what Canada does. There’s a reason we are becoming an endangered species, and anti-human policies like this are partly to blame.

This is right in my neck of the woods. About an hour from my house. More reasons to send my future kids to a Catholic School.

komonews.com/news/local/88971742.html

SEATTLE – The mother of a Ballard High School student is fuming after the health center on campus helped facilitate her daughter’s abortion during school hours.

The mother, whom KOMO News has chosen to identify only as “Jill,” says the clinic kept the information “confidential.”

When she signed a consent form, Jill figured it meant her 15 year old could go to the Ballard Teen Health Center located inside the high school for an earache, a sports physical, even birth control, but not for help terminating a pregnancy.

“She took a pregnancy test at school at the teen health center,” she said. “Nowhere in this paperwork does it mention abortion or facilitating abortion.”

Jill says her daughter, a pro-life advocate, was given a pass, put in a taxi and sent off to have an abortion during school hours all without her family knowing.

“We had no idea this was being facilitated on campus,” said Jill. “They just told her that if she concealed it from her family, that it would be free of charge and no financial responsibility.”

The Seattle School District says it doesn’t run the health clinics at high schools. Swedish Medical Center runs the clinic at Ballard High and protects the students’ privacy.

T.J. Cosgrove of the King County Health Department, which administers the school-based programs for the health department, says it’s always best if parents are involved in their children’s health care, but don’t always have a say.

“At any age in the state of Washington, an individual can consent to a termination of pregnancy,” he said.

But Jill says she not only didn’t have a say in her daughter’s abortion, but also didn’t know about it.

“Makes me feel like my rights were completely stripped away.”

So much for women's rights - apparently their rights end where Planned Parenthood says they do.:rolleyes:

What really concerns me is that this kind of stuff is healded as “progressive” in my state. When people talk about overturning Roe v. Wade, they talk about turning it back to the states to decide. When Roe v. Wade happened, abortion was already legal in my state. I just think it’s awesome that people are campaigning for REAL women’s rights in their states, but what is going to happen in ones like mine? Just like with this healthcare debate. People are talking about leaving it up to the states to decide (and go figure, their states agree with them) but what about the constitutional rights of people in backwards states like mine? Who is going to fight for us?

[quote="Whitacre_Girl, post:8, topic:191883"]

[/quote]

Sorry, what??!! Is there a typo in that, or was this young woman sent for an abortion against her own stated wishes? :eek:

“At any age in the state of Washington, an individual can consent to a termination of pregnancy,” he said. Sounds like the girl gave her consent. She might have had to get parental permission for, say, an ear piercing or a tattoo.

[quote="JimG, post:12, topic:191883"]
"At any age in the state of Washington, an individual can consent to a termination of pregnancy," he said. Sounds like the girl gave her consent. She might have had to get parental permission for, say, an ear piercing or a tattoo.

[/quote]

Right, because - hey - you could get an infection or something from that level of serious surgery. :rolleyes:

**Welcome to America 2010!

*As the Switchfoot song says; "We are a beautiful letdown!"

*Sadly, we are nothing more than a Hollywood, Tom Hanks & Ron Howard produced facade; a slick, glittering yet hollow & empty selfish, attorney controlled society made up largely of ignorant, weak, spineless blinded followers who are hated by many around the world for good reason! *

*America 2010 mindlessly repeats the propaganda spewed by the mind control, politically correct police who demand we say over & over; "Parents are evil, the schools & politicians are our only hope!" *

Even our President says "only government can provide" (President Barak Obama said this in a prime time press conference on 2/10/2009)
Planned Parenthood has infiltrated the schools & will murder you grandchild, without your knowledge or your consent, for $400!!!!!

*The most important question here is; "Where were the mother & father of this poor child who will carry the overwhelming guilt of murdering her own baby for the rest of her life?" (& possibly for all eternity if she does not repent & ask Jesus for forgiveness!)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I guess her daughter was pro-life until it came time for her to get pregnant. A nation of whores we are raising. Even the ones that know better still cant stop spreading their legs and making themselves to be hypocrites. Maybe the mother should be asked where her daughter learned such promiscuous behavior from and why her religious views did not stop her from getting pregnant and getting an abortion. You cannot be pro-life and lead a life that makes the case for the abortionists! This is exactly the case pro-abortionists site for keeping abortion legal.

That's one of the most disturbing things I've heard this year.

And yes, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees how ridiculous it is that a 16 year old can suck out her unborn baby, but has to have mommy's permission to put tiny holes in her ear fat.

Whitacre_Girl,

Search is your friend: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=440172

[quote="shondrea, post:16, topic:191883"]
That's one of the most disturbing things I've heard this year.

And yes, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees how ridiculous it is that a 16 year old can suck out her unborn baby, but has to have mommy's permission to put tiny holes in her ear fat.

[/quote]

I know you don't get this, but there are many reasons why this is the law. Once a young woman becomes pregnant, the choice of how to proceed is hers, regardless of her age, because she is the one most directly affected. In an ideal world, teenagers wouldn't get pregnant but sadly it happens everyday to young women in a variety of family situations.

yeah well, getting her ears pierced also affects her directly, but she needs her parents permission

Actually it’s worse. In Washington schools, a student can face severe disciplinary actions if he or she has cough drops or aspirin at school without a note from the parent, to de dispensed by the school nurse. It’s sickening to me that this situation was handled that way.

markomalley: sorry, I looked and I honestly didn’t see another thread on this topic. I posted it rather quickly because the second I saw it was I fired up as this is rather close to my heart and geographical location.

mjs1987: I find your post extremely uncharitable. You can’t imagine the pressures young women face not only to have sex in the first place, but the pressures placed on them to abort by either an unwilling father, or (in this case) a school wanting to “take a stand”. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.