Mother Mary, a houri in paradise?

Ibn Kathir :

“The Messenger of God … said, ‘God MARRIED ME IN PARADISE TO MARY THE DAUGHTER OF 'IMRAN and to the wife of Pharaoh and the sister of Moses.’ (Tabarani)” (Ibn Kathir, Qisas al-Anbiya [Cairo: Dar al-Kutub, 1968/1388], p. 381- as cited in Aliah Schleifer’s Mary The Blessed Virgin of Islam [Fons Vitae; ISBN: 1887752021; July 1, 1998], p. 64; bold and capital emphasis ours)

According to the Quran, Mary’s father is called Imran:

“Behold! a wife of Ìmrán said: ‘O my Lord! I do dedicate into Thee what is in my womb for Thy special service: So accept this of me: For Thou hearest and knowest all things.’ When she was delivered, she said: ‘O my Lord! Behold! I am delivered of a female child!’ - and Allah knew best what she brought forth - ‘And no wise is the male like the female. I have named her Mary, and I commend her and her offspring to Thy protection from Satan, the Rejected.’” S. 3:35-36

Ali Dashti, wrote:

… According to the Cambridge Tafsir, the word thayyebat (widows or divorcees) refers to Pharaoh’s wife Asiya, and the word virgins (abkar) refers to Jesus’ mother Mary, both of whom are waiting to be married to the Prophet Mohammad in heaven. (Dashti, 23 Years: A Study of the Prophetic Career of Mohammad [Mazda Publishers, Costa Mesa, CA 1994], p. 138)

And:

… It has already been mentioned that one Qor’an-commentary takes “widowed” to mean Pharaoh’s wife Asiya and “virgin” to man Jesus’ mother Mary, and states that both will be married to the Prophet in heaven; since the Qor’an says nothing to this effect, the only significance of the statement is that it illustrates the mentality of the commentator. (Ibid., p. 144)

Would be nice if there are some muslims clarify about this.

So what this says is that GOD who created Mary, His greatest masterpiece as the vessel for His Begotten Son, and whom He has ranked above all the angels and saints in heaven, will simply turn her over to be used for eternity as a sex-slave to Mohammed, a grave sinner.

God has mercy for the extremely ignorant, but in HIS House He does not turn His children over to be used by each other. Frankly, I’m embarrassed to even seem to be legitimizing such a foolish and childish fantasy by replying to it.

This says it all…

since the Qor’an says nothing to this effect, the only significance of the statement is that it illustrates the mentality of the commentator.

Can I get one or two comments here about Mary being a houri in islami paradise? :rolleyes:

This is just another illustration of why C.S. Lewis and Hillaire Belloc showed such great insight when they both classified Islam as a Christian heresy.

Blessings,

Gerry

Assalamwalikum, I’m a muslim and i believe i can answer your question.
There is nothing in the Book of Ibn Katheer (Qisas Al-Anbiya[Stories of the Prophets] ) which i am aware of, that refers to such a hadith.
So it would most likely appear, that either it has infact been invented by someone for whatever reason, or it is from a weaker source, which was wrongly attributed to Ibn Kathir and his book.

That being said, it is therefore very likely that it is not true. Islam respects Mary and we consider her one of the greatest women that ever lived.

I hope that answers your question. :slight_smile:

You know I am frankly sick of people denying the Koran says something that it actually does say. Maybe not this specific case, but it’s quite common lately nonetheless. It seems to certain people, the Koran only says the nice and cuddly things it says, but never says the brutal, bloodthirsty things it says… oh im sorry, “doesn’t say.”

What’s your point? I find it hypocritical to condemn Muslim theology when Protestant theology also teaches Mary remained a virgin until she conceived Jesus the Christ, but afterwards she resumed marital relationship with Joseph her husband.

The prophet Muhammad lusted after many women during his life time, so its not surprising that he fell in “love” with the Mother of the Christ, Blessed Virgin Mary.

No less icky, though…

The first thing you need to understand is that there is the teaching of the Church, and then there are other things, such as Protestant theology. The teachings of the Church are Christian truth. Protestant theology, where it varies from that teaching, is heresy.

There is no point in trying to impress a Catholic in a discussion by quoting heresy.

Blessings,

Gerry

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.