Mother Mary Statue

I am a practicing Catholic, and about 8 months ago I purchased a Mother Mary Statue (the ceramic / stone kind) to display on my property as a sign of honor for Her.

Admittedly, I was having troubles at the time and I was looking for protection and just a little peace in our lives. I was told by a friend that placing the statue facing the house was “more protection.” But to be honest, ever since I brought the statue home, our lives have gone downhill in a much steeper decline than before.

Coincidence? I don’t know - but should I even have the statue? Should it be facing the house? Facing out?

I am so confused and very frustrated. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Our lives are still lack any peace or even slight serenity.

Thank you.

[quote=RalphG]I am a practicing Catholic, and about 8 months ago I purchased a Mother Mary Statue (the ceramic / stone kind) to display on my property as a sign of honor for Her.

Admittedly, I was having troubles at the time and I was looking for protection and just a little peace in our lives. I was told by a friend that placing the statue facing the house was “more protection.” But to be honest, ever since I brought the statue home, our lives have gone downhill in a much steeper decline than before.

Coincidence? I don’t know - but should I even have the statue? Should it be facing the house? Facing out?

I am so confused and very frustrated. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Our lives are still lack any peace or even slight serenity.

Thank you.
[/quote]

Statues and sacramentals (such as rosaries) do not guarantee that God will answer your prayers in ways you want. Nor are they panaceas for all our ills. To think of them this way is not an act of faith but of superstition.

I suggest you talk to you priest about the things that have happened in your family that have made things go wrong instead of placing your hopes in how you position a statue. And pray for Mary’s help and guidance. Don’t just use her image as a talisman against evil.

God wants your trust and faith to be in him and in his ability to help you, not in using representations of him or of any saint to just get what you want. Statues are to used as a focus for faith and prayer not for getting things we want.

God bless you and your family! I will pray for you, please pray for me.

The statues are not Good luck charms, did you put it out of devotion or just for luck??? did you pray?? have faith?? i am not the kind of catholic that has a lot if images but i do pray and THE BOSS has answer me (i dont pray in front of statues just in the church i do)

Statues of our Blessed Mother are wonderful reminders of her deep love for us and her help in leading us to her Son. However, the statue itself, regardless of the direction it faces, does not offer protection. It is simply an object created by humans to remind us of a greater reality.

When I am in need of Christ’s peace, I head to the Eucharistic Chapel for a period of adoration. If possible, I stay for an hour, but even a few minutes is wonderful. Sometimes I just sit and pour out my heart to Jesus; sometimes I pray the rosary; sometimes I spend time simply praising Him. If I feel the evils of this world closing around me, I pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

I can honestly say that my life is more peaceful since I have done this. I still have problems and concerns in my life, but I have no doubt that Mary and her divine Son are next to me, pouring out the graces I need to handle everything.

just one more comment:

i was looking for a saint of my devotion and went to talk to a priest, this is what he told me:
Talk directly to God, its the only king that you dont need appointment or talk to his secretary before going in so you pray to Jesus and Mary and i am sure he will Listen to you or his mother (remember when you were a little kid you talk to your mother if you want a permition from your father) am i wrong??

i have a statue of the virgin an jesus and saint claire. i have flowers. but to be honest i rarely pray in front of them i usually pray anywhere in the house. santa maria madre de dios… amen

Thank you all for your comments.

I suppose in times of desperation you grasp at straws, and this was one of them.

I appreciate what everyone had to say.

Thanks again

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.