Mother Mary. Why would take your eyes off Jesus and focus on her?

Everything Mary does is NOT about her, it is for Her to point us or aim us toward Her Son. She said YES to God when He asked her to be the Mother of Our Lord. He loves her and treats her special so should we.

Genesis 3:15 I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she (Mary) shall crush thy (satan) head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel. Hope you come to realize the Truth.

John 17:17 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Since you might throw this one at us as well.

Luke 11:27-28):
While He was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.” He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

What’s going on here? Is Jesus denouncing His Mother?
Rather, He’s showing that it’s primarily faith, not blood relation, that matters. In the case of Mary, She was connected to Christ in both ways. It’s precisely because of Her faith that She became His Mother.

Then you have to look back to Luke 1:41-45
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, “Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
And how does this happen to me, that the Mother of my Lord should come to me? For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.”

Obviously, Jesus isn’t denying that Mary is blessed. He’s not contradicting the Holy Spirit. And we shouldn’t read His words in Luke 8 or Luke 11 as a rebuke of His Mother. Instead, we should see them as an invitation.

Mary is both the biological Mother of Jesus, and His most devoted follower. But which of these two traits matters more to Jesus? Would it be better to be a faithless blood relative, or a faithful foreigner? The answer is obvious to us today, but it wasn’t always so. So what Jesus is rebuking is the idea that if you come from a holy family, you’re set.

Jesus is praising His Mother Mary,setting her as an example, for all of us to follow her .As She did the will of God in all things,more than any one in the world.Yes from now on,you shall not only be my blood relations,you shall not only be my Beloved Mother but the women in Gen 3:15 and the Queen of all in Rev 12:1,2,but from now on ,you shall be my Disciple,a teacher an example of Holiness,to teach and to correct the disobedient ,rebellious,the ignorant, but be a Mother to all humans, i will do it from the cross,you shall bear the sword of sufferings till the end of time in your Immaculate Heart ,which is united to Me, will Triumph at the end over satan and hell,victoriously.

Since your suffering began from the time of Simon"s prophesy that is to say, even to the protestants the fallen away catholic, who though they insult you and hate you,be their mother suffer on their behalf, as a mother to all mankind, I shall give you to the whole world as a gift to the world.

Luke 2;35 And thy own soul a sword shall pierce, that, out of many hearts, thoughts may be revealed.
John 19:25-27 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus, his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalen.
26 When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son.
27 After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.
In Gen 3:15 Genesis 3:15 I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she (Mary) shall crush thy (satan) head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel. Hope you come to realize the Truth.

Galatians 4:26 But the other woman corresponds to the Jerusalem above; she is free and she is our mother ( MARY). (MOTHER MARY IS SINLESS and Mary retain "perpetual virginity), 27 For it is written, “Rejoice, you childless one, you who bear no children, burst into song and shout, you who endure no birth pangs; for the children of the desolate woman are more numerous than the children of the one who is married.”

John 19:25-30 And that is what the soldiers did. Meanwhile, standing near the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home.

I would look into what the word "adelphos " means, before making comments involving Jesus and his “brothers”.

Well said. Ad Jesum per Mariam.

How does this take away from my point.

We ask Mary to intercede for us on our behalf. She is Jesus Mother.

For example in the bible Jesus first miracle was performed at Marys request. Yes at Marys request. The qoute even from a Protestant Bible :slight_smile: God bless you.

John 2:1-11New King James Version (NKJV)

Water Turned to Wine
2 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. 3 And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”

4 Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”

6 Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece. 7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. 8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it. 9 When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. 10 And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”

11 This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.

Hey, OP, if you actually think about your private opinion on this subject, you can see that it looks like pure arrogance to Catholics, Orthodox, and many Lutherans, Anglicans, Reformed and others who honor Mary - why?

Because God honored her first. Psalm 2:7-9. Luke 1:30. John 19:26-27. Revelation 12:1-5,17.

Not everything is written down for man to twist (2 Peter 3:16), and you have learned twisted scripture - make no mistake about that.

Using God’s Holy Word to form personal opinion is the fatal error of sola scriptura. “As I read it”, “The Lord laid it on my heart” and “the Holy Spirit leads me” is self-delusion. First, private opinion does not matter regarding truth. Secondly, how do you know it was the Lord, and more importantly, how did you test the “spirit” who lead you? 1 John 4:1-4

However, if you desire to learn revealed truth, we are delighted to help reveal it - as taught to us by the authoritative Church which Christ founded.

It’s all up to you.

jesus was baptized; and he was most certainly without sin

i suspect his baptizer, John, was also without sin

as to whether or not Mary (also without sin) my thought is that yes, she was baptized by St John, her first cousin, once removed

It appears, he has been scared off. Great Job.

[quote=“Jesusislord, post:1, topic:460063, full:true”]
Hello everyone, My name is Alex. I am here to debate on why Mother mary is so special. I cannot find a live chat to speak to Catholics anywhere on the internet. I am Christian. To throw these things out here: Yes, mother Mary conceived Jesus our lord savior for 9 months and during this she was made clean. Yes respect, but why so much? When you ask for forgiveness from Jesus, your slate is completely wiped clean"

My dear friend in Christ, as a Catholic Catechist, I am grateful for this opportunity; though the restriction in SPACE make any meaningful dialog difficult if not impossible:thinking::smile:

REPLY: Your either under-informed or misinformed on multiple points MY FRIEND

Mary was CONCEIVED without ANY sin as a singular GIFT from God, for whom time does not exist [everything id present], on the MERITS of Her Son to be.

Your also incorrect on your presumption [yes I know it is what you are taught], that one simply has to ASK Jesus and He automatically forgives you.

1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

WHY them friend are these TEACHINGS in the Bible?
1 Jn 5: 16-17 " If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

AND John 20: 19-23
"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send YOU." & when he had said this, he breathed on THEM, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

[23] If YOU forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if YOU retain the sins of any, they are retained."

Are you aware friend that GOD choose to use his priest in the OT for sin forgiveness? So why should Jesus [the same GOD] not choose to do so in the NT?

Exodus 28:1
Take unto thee also Aaron thy brother with his sons, from among the children of Israel, that they may minister to me in the priest’ s office: Aaron, Nadab, and Abiu, Eleazar, and Ithamar"

Leviticus 5:16
And he shall make good the damage itself which he hath done, and shall add the fifth part besides, delivering it to the priest, who shall pray for him, offering the ram, and it shall be forgiven him"

God Bless you,

Perhaps he didn’t come here to learn, but thought he was coming here to teach us something. I have found that we some people complain about a Catholic practice, they often aren’t interested in understanding it.

Was trying to find a nice way to say, “I wish he had learned a little something before he disappeared.” :frowning:

But it’s a little sad when people are so convinced to tell you that you’re wrong, they have no interest in really trying to comprehend why it is you think the way you do about x, and possibly even admit that such opinions may be valid.

Mother Mary was made immaculate at the point of conception of her Son Jesus Christ, by God and not during the 9th months of gestation. You ask why Mother Mary is give so much respect by Catholic and Orthodox Christians? Just stop and consider Her role in salvation history. It was through Mary that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. No other non-divine human has ever done anything that comes close to that, hence the great respect given her.

Yes, if done through the sacrament of reconciliation, that’s quite true. But what does that have to do with showing great respect for the Theotokos?

No. Though the grace of God (and not her own), Mother Mary never sinned. No, she’s NOT the same as us. While obviously not divine, she’s the Theotokos – the Mother of God. Yes, John the Baptizer did sin – because like the rest of us, he wasn’t gifted with God’s grace in the manner Mother Mary was graced for role in salvation history.

You’re wrong about that. Mother Mary is most certainly the Mother of the Second Person of God. Your Bible misinterpretations don’t change that.

Catholic and Orthodox Christians focus a great deal more on God and His Son and we are deeply thankful for the part Mary plays in salvation history.

Perhaps he didn’t come here to learn, but thought he was coming here to
teach us something. I have found that we some people complain about a
Catholic practice, they often aren’t interested in understanding it.

His stated purpose was to debate, rahter than learn. His attitude, very unfortunately, is often seen in the world of bible Christianity: “I read it this way, and the scriptures interpret themselves, therefore you are wrong.”

He may be a YouTuber, as that attitude seems prevalent there.

Or, perhaps, he came for a “hit and run” thread…

Or, perhaps, he wasn’t prepared to engage in the debate he started…

Or, perhaps, he was overwhelmed by the volume of responses…

Mary, Mother of the Word, Pray for us.

I said a Rosary for the OP a day or two ago, in reparation to Mary for the disrespect, and also praying that his mind might be opened to the glories of Mary. I suggest when we encounter such people we should all do the same. It worked for Alphonse Rattisbonne…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit