Mother Mary

I’m talking to someone about Catholicism and they said this:

Zia has yet to answer my Mary co-redeemer and the pope as a high priest questions. There are other questions I have about the origins of Christmas, Lent, Easter and Good Friday as I have noticed that these days did not exist until Roman Catholicism, the rosary, the origins of the religious garments, pulpits for the priest and the lay person, the use of repetitive prayers and chants, and using incense when performing funeral services. Any light you can shine is greatly appreciated.

Can someone help me out. Thanks guys!

Uh, I wouldn’t know where to begin. Shorthand references to general issues, such as “the rosary,” really don’t lend themselves to responses. What about the rosary? What is the specific issue? There’s really no way to address a laundry list of general topics such as this one.

Faced with this list, I would ask the person to choose one topic at a time to discuss, and ask them to state their specific point or proposition. Then you can respond to a specific question. As it stands, they’re basically asking you to write a Catechism.

Mary co-redeemer ---- Her yes to God gives her a part. She bore the Son of God who redeemed the world.Hence “co”.

pope as a high priest ---- The Apostles were made bishops on the night of the Last Supper,through them and the laying on of hands the current head bishop is high priest on earth.

origins of Christmas----- put it back in Latin it is “The Mass of Christ”, things get lost in translation.

** Lent**—an annual season of fasting and penitence in preparation for Easter, beginning on Ash Wednesday and lasting 40 weekdays to Easter. We follow the footsteps of Jesus,The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where, according to the Bible, he endured temptation by Satan and He fasted. Lent means “spring”

Good Friday---- It commemorates the crucifixion and death of Jesus at Calvary.

Easter— In all Romance languages the name of the Easter festival is derived from the Greek name, Pascha which is itself derived from Pesach, the Hebrew festival of Passover.It celebrates the resurrection of Jesus, which Christians believe occurred on the third day after his crucifixion around AD 33.

** I have noticed that these days did not exist until Roman Catholicism**---------that would be because the Protestant denominations did not begin until after 1517ad., the Protestant Reformation, when a Catholic monk,Martin Luther founder of the Luthern Church, opened a porthole for those who “protested” against the Catholic Church which was baptized in the blood of Christ at the foot of the cross in 33ad.

religious garments----read—>

Exodus 39

The Priestly Garments
1Moreover, from the blue and purple and scarlet material, they made finely woven garments for ministering in the holy place as well as the holy garments which were for Aaron, just as the LORD had commanded Moses.
2He made the ephod of gold, and of blue and purple and scarlet material, and fine twisted linen.

repetitive prayers-----

Revelation4:8

And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, “HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME.”

incense ----

Exodus 30:8
"When Aaron trims the lamps at twilight, he shall burn incense. There shall be **perpetual incense **before the LORD throughout your generations.

Luke 1:9
according to the custom of the priestly office, he was chosen by lot to enter the temple of the Lord and burn incense.

Revelation 8:3
Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a golden censer; and much incense was given to him, so that he might add it to the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar which was before the throne.

Its not just for funerals,it was used tonight at the Holy Thursday Mass.

Scripture Catholic
scripturecatholic.com/

Why am I thinking Mass was skipped? Oh because of the reading:

*Reading 1
Ex 12:1-8, 11-14

The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt,
“This month shall stand at the head of your calendar;
you shall reckon it the first month of the year.
Tell the whole community of Israel:
On the tenth of this month every one of your families
must procure for itself a lamb, one apiece for each household.
If a family is too small for a whole lamb,
it shall join the nearest household in procuring one
and shall share in the lamb
in proportion to the number of persons who partake of it.
The lamb must be a year-old male and without blemish.
You may take it from either the sheep or the goats.
You shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month,
and then, with the whole assembly of Israel present,
it shall be slaughtered during the evening twilight.
They shall take some of its blood
and apply it to the two doorposts and the lintel
of every house in which they partake of the lamb.
That same night they shall eat its roasted flesh
with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.

“This is how you are to eat it:
with your loins girt, sandals on your feet and your staff in hand,
you shall eat like those who are in flight.
It is the Passover of the LORD.
For on this same night I will go through Egypt,
striking down every firstborn of the land, both man and beast,
and executing judgment on all the gods of Egypt—I, the LORD!
But the blood will mark the houses where you are.
Seeing the blood, I will pass over you;
thus, when I strike the land of Egypt,
no destructive blow will come upon you.

This day shall be a memorial feast for you,
which all your generations shall celebrate
with pilgrimage to the LORD, as a perpetual institution
.”*

That is the beginning of Easter

Mary co-redeemer: Mary’s soul was cleans by the Holy Spirit she lead a life of sufferage and obiedence.

pope as a high priest: I do not care for the terminology here, The Church has authority. The Pope is the supreme office in the Church.

origins of Christmas: your probably correct on Christmas

Lent: The bible often uses 40 as the days associated with cleaning and purification as in the flood the days in the desert. The 40 years of Hebrew wondering, etc. Lent is our 40

Good Friday: The day of sacrifice, the end of the old covenant and the beginning of the new

• as I have noticed that these days did not exist until Roman Catholicism: ? That would not seem correct these days began approximately 33AD that is a while before Rome was involved

the rosary; simply a type of prayer

the origins of the religious garments; from the bible

pulpits for the priest and the lay person: I do not know however it would seem to evolve as evangelization goes back to the founding of the Church on Pentecost

the use of repetitive prayers and chants: ? as opposed to what

incense when performing funeral services; Incense were cherished and often sacrificed to God, remember the wise men gave Jesus frankincense as one of the gifts

Hope that helps - maybe these should be done one at a time?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.