Mother of Jesus

Following verses from the catholic bible…

Gospel according to Mark

31 Now his mother and his brothers arrived and, standing outside, sent in a message asking for him.
32 A crowd was sitting round him at the time the message was passed to him, 'Look, your mother and brothers and sisters are outside asking for you.'
33 He replied, 'Who are my mother and my brothers?'
34 And looking at those sitting in a circle round him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers.
35 Anyone who does the will of God, that person is my brother and sister and mother.’

Can anyone explain the meaning of this verses please…?

I’m not really sure what information you are seeking… but based on the title of your thread (“Mother of Jesus”) and the content of the passage you’re interested in (concerning Jesus’ “brothers and sisters”)… I think you’re asking about the family of Jesus and the status of Mary, His Mother? Please correct me, if I have misunderstood.

I will try to tell you, what I know. Recently, on EWTN I watched a series of talks, given by Dr. Scott Hahn (former evangelical… and now convert to the Catholic faith). Dr. Hahn is Professor of Biblical Theology at Franciscan University. The series was called “Hail, Holy Queen”. They discussed the very passage that you refer to.

I learned that in the Hebrew language… AND in the era, in which Jesus lived (on earth)… the terms “brother” or “sister”… had a very wide range of understandings. The term “brother” was not understood in the same way, that WE understand it… here in the 21st Century.

In Jesus’ time… the term “brother” or “sister” was often used in reference to ANY family member (uncles, aunts, cousins… and even members of the same ‘tribe’, if you will). The term “brother” or “sister” did not necessarily denote siblings.

Therefore, this passage in no way diminishes the Catholic Doctrine of Mary, the Mother of Jesus. She was a Virgin, before… during and after His birth. And she had only ONE Son… Jesus, Our Lord.

And the second part of the question… when Jesus asked “Who are My mother and My brothers”… well, Our Lord Himself, explained what He meant… when He finished the statement… “Anyone who does the Will of God”. He is saying, that we are His “family”, if we do His Will.

Hope this helps. God bless.

Jesus is saying that believing and doing the will of God is the greatest blessing, greater than mere biological relationship.

And the Bible says that this is EXACTLY what the Virgin Mary did!

Luke 1:45 And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.

Next question.

Great responses.

You will also find how contradicted some people use those verses to support 2 things that are contradicting each others.

1- Mary has more than one child
2- Mary isn’t mother of Jesus

:confused:

Welcome to the Forum. :slight_smile: These should help:

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=3953468&postcount=46

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=3953498&postcount=47

Quoting MarieVeronica:

I learned that in the Hebrew language… AND in the era, in which Jesus lived (on earth)… the terms “brother” or “sister”… had a very wide range of understandings. The term “brother” was not understood in the same way, that WE understand it… here in the 21st Century.

In Jesus’ time… the term “brother” or “sister” was often used in reference to ANY family member (uncles, aunts, cousins… and even members of the same ‘tribe’, if you will). The term “brother” or “sister” did not necessarily denote siblings.

Hi MV…The above is also my understanding which was explained to our parish by a scripture scholar (we were truly blest to have one as our pp for a while years ago). This type of relationship understanding cultural divide in language still exists
in Australia today amongst our aboriginal nation. Every fellow aboriginal person almost seems to be their Aunty, Uncle or cousin…simply because they do not define these family relationships as we do.

Quoting biblelover

34 And looking at those sitting in a circle round him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers.
35 Anyone who does the will of God, that person is my brother and sister and mother.’

Jesus is not being disrespectful to his mother, nor indicating that Mary had more children … he is broadening the understanding of relationships to be inclusive of all who carry out God’s Will, primarily amongst which is his mother. There is a similar broadening in the parable of the Good Samaritan, when Jesus is broadening the understanding of who is one’s neighbour.

Certainly one who strives to be ever faithful to God’s Will will reflect those virtues of Mary we see shining in the New Testament, though she is mentioned little in the NT but where she is mentioned, it is to great affect and effect.

Mary would have been very familiar with the Old Testament and would have immediately insighted what Jesus was saying about all who do God’s Will.

Blessings - Barb:)

Something else:

In the Geneology of Christ in Matthew 1:2, it refers to “Judah and his brothers”–even though they actually had 4 mothers among them!

In Genesis, Abraham calls Lot his “brother”, even though Lot was actually Abraham’s nephew.

Think about it.

But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.

John 19:25

Since when do parents name two of their daughters “Mary”. Is there anyone out there who has a sibling with the same first name?

This could only make sense when it is realized that in Aramaic, the language that they spoke back then, did not have a name for “cousin”. It became awkward to introduce your cousin as “this is the son of my father’s brother”, so they used the word “brother” or “sister” very loosely in that culture. So Mary, the wife of Clopas, was not the sister of Mary, the mother of Jesus as we use sister. In that culture, it very often meant cousin.

Hi Veronica,

In your reply you have said…

“Therefore, this passage in no way diminishes the Catholic Doctrine of Mary, the Mother of Jesus. She was a Virgin, before… during and after His birth. And she had only ONE Son… Jesus, Our Lord.”

Catholi Bible - Mark Cahpter 6

2 With the coming of the Sabbath he began teaching in the synagogue, and most of them were astonished when they heard him. They said, ‘Where did the man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been granted him, and these miracles that are worked through
3 This is the carpenter, surely, the son of Mary, the brother of James and Joset and Jude and Simon? His sisters, too, are they not here with us?’ And they would not accept him.

Which means Jesus had Brothers with names James and Joset and Jude and Simon and he had sisters too…

That implies When Jesus was born Mary was a virgin…and after that Joesph and Mary lived as any other normal couple and had sons and daughters…!

God bless

regards
GL

No, GL, it implies no such thing. If you would read the links I posted in #5 you would see why no such interpretation can be arrived at from the text. :slight_smile: It can, of course, be arrived at illegitimately by those who find themselves separated from the Church in whose context Scripture must be read.

According to some they’re Joseph’s children, but not Mary’s.

Scripture uses “brother” as a broad term. Both Hebrew and Greek lack proper words for “cousin,” “uncle,” “nephew” and similar relationships, so the catch-all phrase “brother” is used in reference to those relationships. For example, Scripture calls Lot Abram’s “brother” (Gen 13:8) even though Lot was actually Abram’s nephew (Gen 11:27; Gen. 12:5).

Misunderstanding the term “brother’ leads to misinterpretation of Mark 6:3. “Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?” Mark 6:3. Had Mary borne any children other than Jesus, Mark 6:3 would call Jesus “a son of Mary,” not “the son of Mary.” We know from Scripture that James and Joses were the sons of a different Mary: “There were also many women there, looking on from afar, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him; among whom were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee,” Matt 27:55-56. “Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses saw where he was laid,” Mark 15:47. John’s Gospel tells us this Mary was the “sister” of Mary the mother of Jesus. “But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene,” John 19:25.

Since the Virgin Mary had a kinswoman named Mary (John 19:25) who was the mother of James and Joses (Matt 27:56) it follows that the word “brother”as used in Mark 6:3 must translate as “cousin.”

Hi Veronica,

In your reply you have said…

“Therefore, this passage in no way diminishes the Catholic Doctrine of Mary, the Mother of Jesus. She was a Virgin, before… during and after His birth. And she had only ONE Son… Jesus, Our Lord.”

Catholi Bible - Mark Cahpter 6

2 With the coming of the Sabbath he began teaching in the synagogue, and most of them were astonished when they heard him. They said, ‘Where did the man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been granted him, and these miracles that are worked through
3 This is the carpenter, surely, the son of Mary, the brother of James and Joset and Jude and Simon? His sisters, too, are they not here with us?’ And they would not accept him.

Which means Jesus had Brothers with names James and Joset and Jude and Simon and he had sisters too…

That implies When Jesus was born Mary was a virgin…and after that Joesph and Mary lived as any other normal couple and had sons and daughters…!

God bless

regards
GL

Please explain why Jesus left His mother to the care of John, if He had actual siblings, as you believe? That, alone, contradicts any claim of Mary having other children.

Therefore, we have to look at the cultural norms and the way people were addressed of one another for the answer. And the Bible demonstrates clearly that the words “brother” and “sister” do not necessarily imply sibling relationships. Thus, the greater stretch is to insert a theory that Mary did not remain a virgin, where the evidence demonstrates she was a virgin, and there were no other family members to entrust her care to.

31 Now his mother and his brothers arrived and, standing outside, sent in a message asking for him.
32 A crowd was sitting round him at the time the message was passed to him, 'Look, your mother and brothers and sisters are outside asking for you.'

Can anyone explain the meaning of this verses please…?

If you’re going to be consistent with your literal interpretation of “brother” and “sister”, the literal interpretation of Jesus supposedly claiming He has no mother, must be that He was never born, since no one can be born without a mother.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.